Kali Tudo (tm)

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by Crafty Dog, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

2. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

With Kali Tudo-4 coming out in a few weeks, I’ve run the rough edit by several DBMA instructors for feedback. Naturally the conversation on the DBMA Association’s forum has focused on Kali Tudo. In that the content of the upcoming KT-4 has been available within the Assn for a while now (“Hey! Wait a minute! You’re saying if I want to get KT-4 I won’t have to buy the download if I am a member of the Ass’n?” Why yes I am , , ,) the conversation there has been rather well informed.

One of the things that came up is that Kali Tudo’s combinations are done with a distinctive, driving intent with additional angles and rhythms and this means that even a seasoned pad/mitt holder founded in boxing and/or Muay Thai with have to learn ways of feeding that are unfamiliar to him.

So my backyard class today focused exactly on that, with particular emphasis on the structure we call “the Dracula Blitz”.

The Adventure continues!

3. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Today's class began with integrating an idea from a 15th century Italian empty hand expression of espada y daga to which I was exposed during sidebar interaction with Marco _______ at the recent Stickmata Immersion hosted by Mahipal Lunia in the Bay Area.

We then identified the basic responses to a TMG Trigg 101 blitz and the particular responses for each one, and showed where the interesting Italian idea fit in.

Final section of the class was on focus mitt work for Kali Tudo. Recent discussion on the DBMA Ass'n made it clear to me that there was hunger for this.

4. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Reviewing now what I hope will be the final edit of Kali Tudo 4.

This is a major work in this system, and will be about 4-5 hours with my being very ably assisted by DBMA Guro and pro MMA fighter Beowulf Mark Houston and DBMA Guro Splinter Dog Antone Haley (SF PD, winner of this year's Tactical Games, pro level skill level in MMA). The two of them worked really well together and did an outstanding job showing my vision for this material.

Half the footage was shot at the Inosanto Academy and half at Guro Guard Dog Ryan Gruhn's gym in Central PA. Ryan has very strong amateur MMA and Muay Thai teams (some have gone on the the UFC) so the group there also ably represented.

The Adventure continues!

5. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Final edit on Kalit Tudo 4 is done.

Total running time about 4.5 hours. There is reason for this. It has been roughly 15 years since I started on the KT Adventure and various building blocks are in place for a major effort. This is it.

Huge kudos to Bob Burgee for a sizzling paced edit full of understanding of the material.

Release anticipated in the next ten days or less.

6. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

7. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member