Kali Tudo (tm)

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by Crafty Dog, Apr 21, 2009.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I just love the way how everyone is Monday Morning Quartebacking this thing about Shogun's movement...

Was it a jab? A hook? Dissecting every moment of what happens within a couple of seconds like it's the JFK assassination tape...

ONLY Shogun
    knows what happened, anybody ever tried looking up on what he said about that technique?

2. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

Only shogun knows what he was TRYING to do. What actually happened is handily recorded on video tape, and can be interpreted normally. People generally don't have perfect body omniscience.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I hadn't heard this term before. Does it come from Systema/Sambo or the like, or was it associated with a particular boxer from Russia?

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, that's sure been the case for me before...someone will say "Hey, great technique there!" and when I see what happened I have to agree, although I was trying for something different (or just reacting to what was presented to me).

5. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

A lot of russian kickboxers throw it. It's present in Sambo, as well as a lot of chinese subsystems(longfist types). Chuck Liddell also throws them. It's basically using a whipping motion to throw the hook. For a number of reasons it's probably suboptimal in a boxing ring.

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Well young fella then you must be rookie of the year..LOL..see below..your words..this thread!

LOL...three step drop back eh?...

As to a Russian hook....hmm I thought that was a bereft bird on the sly in Gorky park! ;)

7. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Woof All:

At today's "Kali Tudo" (tm) class Kenny Johnson came to help out. For those of you not familiar with the name, he is a world class MMA-wrestling coach. You saw him as Noguiera's MMA-wrestling coach on Spike's "TUF", and he regular works with people like Anderson Silva, BJ Penn and others of that ilk. After our two hour class, he left to train Anderson.

I know KJ from Rigan Machado's place. I took a wrestling lesson from him several months ago to clean up a wrestling based hold that I learned from Rico Chiaparelli; no problem with how Rico taught it!-- simply I was running into a particular problem that I wanted to solve as well as work on my underhooks, which have always been a bit of a mystery to me.

He was intrigued by the moves I was putting on top of what he was showing me and we began to spar on various occasions. He is a gentleman as we play (good thing or I could get hurt!).

Today's session was videoed and may appear in future DB Productions.

The Adventure continues!
    Crafty Dog

8. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Speaking of Kali Tudo, I got the second installment couple of weeks back (Running Dog Game), and was very pleased with the material. But then again, no surprise there... anyway, it makes a really nice package along with KT1, so I would recommend it to all those who have seen the first series.
    As always, I also liked the rumination at the end, since it puts things into perspective for me. It was always a welcomed addition, as I see it, to get to know someone's background and reasons for taking the directions they did when developing the material.

9. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

Question about the Dracula....

When using it to crash, do you find that you sometimes eat body shots against sparring partners who are more boxing than MT/MMA-minded?

10. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Excellent question SelfCritical!

Right now my favorite variation of the Dracula for crashing is "the Dodger-Dracula" when the opponent is my height or taller. When I am taller I like the Dodger-Malayu better.

Not saying what you ask can't be done, but so far for me the answer is "no" because my elbow is flying towards his face on the half beat. This is set up by the Kali triangular footwork so that we are closing the gap
    a) much more explosively than expected,
    b) closer on a different angle than expected, and
    c) striking the lead arm in the process-- which makes his shovel hook distinctly less likely.

Actually where I find more of a problem is with someone like Kenny-- who, like many wrestlers, has superb ability to shoot under high-line attacks. For example during last week's sparring he was consistently nailing me with a double leg during what we call the Trigg 101. As seen on KT 1, the Trigg 101 is done against mirror lead. As a right handed wrestler, Kenny tends to favor a right lead and when playing Kali Tudo I tend to favor mirror lead-- in this case a left lead. Thus when I was playing the Trigg 101 he was dropping under my high right cross and stuffing my low right cross with very powerful double leg takedowns. He's very technical with me as he does it. If he were to apply it with intention I would be badly jarred. Great experience for me to have him to engage with!

Yesterday I played the Zirconia instead-- which even though I am still using my right in the moment in question changes which leg is forward. This took away his desire to enter that way. Then, when I applied the Dodger-Dracula this set up the machete kick (a silat kick that can be mistaken for a MT kick, but it is different in that the standing leg does not pivot and we deliberately plant foward. Because the angles are different, the head is not zoned to get rocked by counter hands//elbows. The name "machete" is the English for the Indonesian term.)

The machete kick sets up what I call "the tri-gi". The tri-gi is a very high % move with high KO potential. It starts with what looks lack a very bad single leg (e.g. head is to the outside) but sets up a shove that leaves his front arm out of position and leaves me with strong body mechanics to really rock his world with a great shot to his trigeminal nerve (hence "tri-gi).

This variation Kenny thought sound. Then he showed me how to use the "bad" single leg to takedown without falling into half-guard/giving back-- which had always been a problem for me with the move.

The Adventure continues!
    Crafty Dog

PS: I also noted yesterday that when I used the Dodger-Dracula to flow into a shovel hook/uppercut that this seemed to have a lot of potential for greeting somebody looking to shoot under the attack.

11. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Two of the guys in my Monday "Kali Tudo" (c) class have a school out in Moreno Valley and yesterday I taught the first of bi-monthly Kali Tudo seminars at their school.

I was very pleased to see the foundational work that they had already accomplished and so we were able to get into some intereting variations of "the Dracula Game".

The DG has moved forward quite a bit from what was shown in Kali Tudo 1; indeed the concept has expanded to where the DG is simply a subset of what we call "the four headed snake", which is an idiom of movement based upon double reverse grip knife.

Anyway, we worked the DG and then had an outstanding Thai dinner.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sounds great!

13. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

After the weekend spent working on the Puntadas subsystem at the texas kali mastery camp, which is a subset of the tri-v method focused on using the thrust as a primary offence and counter, I feel like i have expanded my understanding of the angulation and methods of drawing for the dracula. I was slowly building over the weekend, but once we did the dumog section, I had a lightbulb moment. Vigorous testing in sparring should come soon.

14. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

PT is a major influence on DBMA so no surprise to me that there would be synergy in your understanding of DBMA.

BTW, although I showed the Dracula as an ABD in KT 1, it is much more than that. Shhh , , , martial arts secret ;-)

Anyway I'd be curious to hear about your research :)

craftydog@dogbrothers.com

15. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

I do remember the other dracula applications you showed while in texas, but so far they haven't as neatly mapped on to my understanding of the high thrust as counter to an opponent getting "behind" your attack, particularly when you give the appearance of falling for a feint.

The dodger-dracula seems to mesh with some empty-hand material i have seen, such as the caya-calup(palm-up, palm down) patterns and entries for backhand slaps, but I don't map it neatly onto my weapon understandings yet. I attribute this to my utter lack of double-stick sparring.

16. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Actually, the Dracula variations are based upon reverse grip knife.

17. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

From experimentation, they map onto forhand thrusts with the stick/bolo as well. I used the basic ABD from KT1 in stick sparring at the camp with some success. Of course the the transferability from a reverse grip slash to a forehand thrust in terms of angulation is fairly high i would think.

18. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

A point taught to me with a nifty little drill in one of my private lessons with PG Edgar Sulite.

19. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

At www.dogbrothers.com we now have up an animated GIF of an early Kali Tudo sequence. It was shot in Spain around 1999 or 2000.

20. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Two people from my Monday KT class have a school of their own about 90 minutes east from here and they have begun bringing me out to their school every few months for a one day seminar. Not only is it nice to see my work with them taking root with their students, working with a group that has the basics in place enables me to go further and deeper into the material.

Here's some fotos from the first of these:
    http://dogbrothers.com/gallery/20091010_kali_tudo.html