Kali Tudo (tm)

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by Crafty Dog, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hammerfisting a downed opponent?

3. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Well, that was witty.

No, the forward diagonal step with the rear leg while punching up the center with the front hand.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

He stepped with the front leg first (more a shuffle)..then he stepped on the diagonal with the right or rear leg (even the rear step looked more like an accident then planned)...as to punching up the center..hmmm looks like a winging left hand..nothing up the middle about it...it was a haymaker that landed. The hammer fists were what they were, cave man bashes to the dome (nasty and effective).....

I just don't get into the MMA thing....my friends dig it but for me..hmmm I'd rather watch Boxing or Food Network...LOL.....

5. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

By "up the center" I mean between Liddell's hands.

The distinctive point here is that opposite hand and foot fired forward simultaneously. The greater distance covered this way is unexpected. Liddell thought he was out of range but because of this technique he wasn't, and got nailed.

6. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Yes, stepping in with the jab with the corresponding foot... Very textbook... Great execution by Shogun...

7. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Freeze frame 00:55.

What do you see?

8. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

At 00:55 I see a flat footed Rua....looking at Lidell who is heading to the canvas. Nothing more nothing less. Rua hit him with a strong hay maker..and BOOM out go the lights.

As for stepping in with a jab..HUH? On this clip there is no jab..just a big ole hay maker that nailed him square as a Dutch mans nugget!

I understand what your saying by the off hand and foot...from what I see it looks more like a OH S*** shot that happened to land.

Hey, Rua won and can continue on until someone separates his grey matter. As for Chuck, he definitely needs to go into broadcasting....he is done...screw the fork..DONE! He may have the chutzpa but he doesn't have the ability...in that game just as in boxing time catches your butt..and on this night in this fight..Chucks clock chimed a foreboding midnight on a good career. He has a butt load of cash. Time to call it a day and go get fat!

9. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes that is a good blitzing style of movement very quick and actually their is quite a bit of technique involved. I use very similar movement both empty hand but also particularly with the knife. It allows you to take the center. The key is when you blitz and at what time. You do not want the other person in balance because if they are then they can of course counter effectively. [​IMG] I spend a lot of time on that when to blitz.
    That is the key! [​IMG]

10. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

After looking at that video from a different angle, Shogun looked like he made a hook strike not a jab... From a different angle it looked like a jab...

It didn't look pretty but it took Chuck right out...

But the point is that Shogun was able to deliver that shot then was able to take Chuck out with the hammer fists...

Still a great execution by Shogun... He covered a great amount of range with that step-move... Chuck apparently did not expect that shot to cover so much range...

11. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Agreed..he landed a honey punch.....Chuck was on queer street quicker than crap through a goose....his legs went rubbery and timber, down he went...LOL. Having seen the last few fights of the once highly touted Lidell I would say he hasn't seen much coming in quite some time....that dude hits the floor like nobodies business!

12. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Thanks for the comparison, Crafty Dog :bow:

I'm personally not as familiar with your system. How much of your Kali Tudo DVD contains empty hand material such as this? :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  13. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Actualy, it is all about the empty handed material...and good one if you ask me!

14. Combative Edge

Combative Edge New Member

I definitely see the technique there. I actually have my class doing that down the floor. Left jab/palm, Right cross/slap (more of a fake), and then step 45 with rear leg while simultaneously striking with left.... from there your in a right lead so then you Go Right jab/palm, Left Cross/slap...step 45 with with left.....strike

Maybe Rua didn't mean to do it but he did. That technique does work well.

15. WuLord187

WuLord187 Albo Kali Silat Student

This should be put on a T-Shirt!
    Punched him into retirement

16. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Fleshing things out a bit

I'll be looking to write up something more thoughtful tomorrow, but for the moment a couple of quick points.

1) yes, the left hand was more of a hook than a straight left/jab, but as far as I am concerned the distinction is a difference without meaning IN THIS CONTEXT. To score the hit he had to throw a hooking motion instead of a straight one and the hook is still "up the center" i.e. between the opponent's hands. The larger point is that the punch arrived because of the opposite hand-- foot action.

2) I can't say whether Rua has trained the motion, I only point to it as evidence that the first motion of something I showed in our "Kali Tudo" DVD called the Zirconia works. My life in martial arts has been dedicated to the congruence of Art and application and as part of that mission I seek to apply Kali empty handed. I put myself out there saying that it would work (as it did for me in my MMA sparring) and feel it fair to point out that it worked here at world class MMA level.

3) I have invented nothing. What you see here is quite similar to old school boxing's Fitzsimon's shift. That said, when I showed our Zirconia in 2005, I am not aware of ANYONE who was doing it AND I know how many people doubted it to me directly.

4) The Zirconia motion of our KT is a combination on some very aggressive triangular footwork (what we call completing the outside diamond triangle). Please note well that here that would not have been necessary because CL went down on the first hit, so what we are seeing here is only the first motion of something that has quite a bit more to it ;-)

5) For the historical record, the Zirconia arose for me out of a single stick combination that in DBMA we call "Variation 5"-- not because there are 4 variations that come before it, but because I vary the Ilustrisimo Crossstep footwork of Lameco single stick combination 5A by substituting on the first motion a forward diagonal step. The second motion of the stick is accompanied by a step that completes the outside diamond triangle and the third motion , , , well too hard to articulate in these final moments before I go to bed.

Small story: I was very tickled with myself to have thought of the forward diagonal step with the rear leg and over time have worked it along with the rest of the triangular footwork it initiates rather sedulously.

A couple of months ago I found a youtube clip of Tatang Ilustrisimo doing the same thing at a pivotal moment in a serious sparring match!!! A thing of understanding and beauty. Brian's comments about the importance of understanding WHEN are quite on point.

In DBMA the Zirconia is an example of what we call "portal techniques" i.e. techniques were are only to be done at well-chosen moments to create transition of structure and idiom of movement-- as we like to say "Stepping through the portal to the magical dimension where martial arts and crafts actually work" (tm)

The Adventure continues!
    Crafty Dog

PS: Carol, thank you for your question and the wonderful opportunity to do some shameless marketing. A good place to start answering your question would be
    http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=597.0
    As noted in a nearby thread here, and a long one of the same name on our forum, the second DVD in our Kali Tudo series, called "The Running Dog Game" is now taking pre-orders. As explained more fully in those threads, the RDG is an anti guard game. Whereas the hand strikes used in KT-1 were mostly boxing type (i.e. all forehanded thrusts) in RDG we take the next step and show how to use slashing strikes as well as thrusting strikes. This creates an idiom of movement that in my experience enables one to overwhelm many people whom one would not otherwise to overwhelm. In Kali Tudo 3, which is already partially shot, I will be going into standing striking structures/games such as the Arfful Dodger, the Dodger Malayu. Kali Tudo 4 and 5 will be Kali Tudo for the Guard (Guard Dog game) and Clinch.

17. Sicilian

Sicilian New Member

Nice one Guro Crafty. Seems similar to the Cruzada footwork from KI. :)

18. punisher73

punisher73 Member

CraftyDog: I respect what you have done and think that, from my limited exposure to it, Kali Tudo is very effective and translates well into empty hand and MMA.

But, I have to disagree with you on Shogun's movements. At 54 seconds if you pause it, you can see that Rua is already stepping into Chuck with his lead leg to punch Chuck. If you pause it at 07 seconds, you can see that Rua is leaning forward at about a 30 degree angle from lunging into Chuck. Chuck drops his hand down when Rua initiate's his lunge and opens himself right up, if you watch even closer you see that Rua shoot his right shoulder forward to fake a punch and draws Chuck's hand to the right side. Rua's punch threw all of his body weight into it because of his lunge into Chuck. The back leg wasn't stepping as much as coming forward to regain balance. He takes a small hop with his left to reweight that leg and picks his leg up to prepare for a roundhouse kick to Liddell.

19. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

It's difficult to evaluate Rua, because like Fedor, he begins his motion as a jab and then whips his hips in mid-motion to create a "russian hook", as opposed to a normal tight hook. So the line between jab and hook is a fine one.

20. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Thanks all for the comments.

It will take me a couple of days to get to this thread with what I hope will be a substantive post.