Kali-Ilustrisimo Entry on MartialTalk MartialArts Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by Bob Hubbard, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

The MartialTalk Martial Arts Encyclopedia (or wiki) is a community created/edited/expanded encyclopedia and semi-dictionary of the martial arts. It uses the same software as the Wikipedia but focuses on a more concentrated area. This allows us do be a bit more than the Wikipedia (which isn't a dictionary).

It differs from the MartialTalk Discussion Forums, in that it is a resource, not a forum. On a discussion board, you can play point-counter point, debate, etc. On the MTMAE the contents should conform to a preferably non-political 3rd person view. Anyone who registers can edit the entries. We work together building the entries, correcting and expanding each others comments. The key test all content there must pass are "credible", "verifiable" and "Neutral Point of View".

From the Wikipedia these are defined as:

Credible content is defined simply as "articles should use reliable published sources"
    What is and is not credible is outlined in great detail here.

"Verifiability" in this context does not mean that editors are expected to verify whether, for example, the contents of a New York Times article are true. In fact, editors are strongly discouraged from conducting this kind of research, because original research may not be published in Wikipedia. Articles should contain only material that has been published by reputable or credible sources, regardless of whether individual editors view that material as true or false. As counter-intuitive as it may seem, the threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. For that reason, it is vital that editors rely on good sources.

NPOV (Neutral Point Of View) is a fundamental Wikipedia principle which states that articles should be written from a neutral point of view, representing views fairly and without bias.

This is joined by the "No Original Research" clause.
    Neither Wikipedia nor the MTMAE are the place for original research. Citing sources and avoiding original research are inextricably linked: the only way to show that you are not doing original research is to cite sources who discuss material that is directly related to the article, and to stick closely to what those sources say.

Original research is a term used on Wikipedia to refer to material added to articles by Wikipedia editors that has not been published already by a reputable source. In this context it means unpublished theories, data, statements, concepts, arguments, and ideas; or any new interpretation, analysis, or synthesis of published data, statements, concepts, arguments that, in the words of Wikipedia's founder Jimbo Wales, would amount to a "novel narrative or historical interpretation".

We welcome your contributions to the encyclopedia.

MTMAE Entries:

We do not currently have an entry for Kali-Ilustrisimo or it's founder. You can help by going to the list of FMA or the Escrima entry and click on the link. This will allow you to create and help maintain one.
    List of FMA Escrima

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

There is no Kali Ilustrismo entry there yet! It's also redlinked on Wikipedia. Can someone add an entry?

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

There is now a very brief entry for this art on Wikipedia. It was updated just a few days ago but is still little more than a list of names.

4. media

media New Member

You will agree that it is a very politically correct entry. No one's feelings should be hurt by the short article.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

But, it would be nice to see it lengthened!

6. mronkain

mronkain New Member

Hi,

could someone please ellaborate, what are the different "official" and "not so official" branches of the KI style at present?

7. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

I do not think it is about "official" as much as who is teaching the art in its so-called original form as it was taught to them by Tatang. I would say that GM Tony Diego, Masters Topher Ricketts, Norman Suanico and Romy Macapagal to name a few preserve the art with little to no deviation.

The others may have simply evolved.

8. eome

eome Junior Member

GM yuli and master morales always believed in evolving. in a fast and changing world one should adapt but they always insisted to never break away from Tatangs teachings and concepts. so wether they evolved or added the bulk of their knowledge of combat experiences, the fact remains that all the students of Tatang kept the original teachings of the Gran maestro.

but as for bz ilustrisimo. the ilustrisimo taught here is the terminologies and techniques given by tatang to GM tony diego and Gm yuli romo. simply because this is what was taught to them even before the seniors have formulated the curriculum.the earlier curriculum of ilustrisimo is maintained in bahad with the other systems of GM yuli as supplements to his teachings. meaning to say that it is, and will always be the fighting-combat tested concepts of Tatang.

John has explained it clearly about it and this is a fact that i support.

9. Master Vince

Master Vince New Member

May I say to all of the students of Grand Master Ilustrissimo, he was a really nice and welcoming man, and actually I met him in Manila in 1992 at the WEKAF World Stickfighting Championships.

He was a very talented martial artist, and it was obvious that he was a great fighter in his younger day, but the thing that I can recall the most about this incredible man, was his beautiful energy that he gave off when he shook your hand, and I knew then and there that I was in the presence of a truly great and wonderful man.

To 'Tatang's' students, keep his art alive, and train real hard!
    Salamat po everyone.

10. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Yes, I agree. Very warm and welcoming he was. Miss him.

11. Raul

Raul Mananandata

The wikipedia article is a stub alright.. just a list of names and links.