K.I literature

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by Don Quixote, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Don Quixote

Don Quixote New Member

A number of students practice Kailis Ilustrissimo world wide. Besides Diego and Rickets' book, "The secrets of Kalis Ilustrissimo", there is relatively little literature published on the art. there is information on tatang in Gelangs "masters of the philipino martial arts", and Gelang also uses ilustrissimo techniques in a few other instructional books such as complete sinawali. This list isn;t exhausted but when you compare video and literature as compared to other martial arts like karate there is very little around. As practitioners are you interested and willing to pay for well produced informative photograph instruction manuels on the subject?

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Assuming you are speaking about another book specifically on the Ilustrisimo system...any reference would be a valuable resource to your collection especially as practitioners of this art. However, nothing compares to training with a knowledgeable and qualified instructor regardless of lineage and/or personal interpretation. Additionally, it must be free of politics and monetary greed.

Seeing that you are from Australia, are you training with any of the instructors there? i.e. Rhaneer Fabi, Ray Floro, John Chow etc.

3. Matt Lim

Matt Lim New Member

A Kalis Ilustrisimo Manual... hmmmn... I've seen Tony and Tophers book, also the Complete Sinawali of Rey Galang but imho, far from being KI manuals, they are just intro books.
    I'm looking forward to these unpublished yet KI manuals... that would be interesting to see.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

If there are so few books, are there some videos instead?

5. oosh

oosh Junior Member

A set of 3 videos was made by Mandirigma Productions, though this series is no longer available.

Master Topher has a series of video tapes on KI, I think there is 4 in the series and is available via the Bakbakan website.

Maestro Yuli has a DVD available on Zu'Bu KI, this is available via the Zu'Bu website.

6. Kommunista

Kommunista New Member

In my opinion, Tatang was such an eclectic and dynamic fighter, that no book will ever really convey what Ilustrisimo was, and what he did. EaCh book is no more than each students interpretation of Tatangs teachings. When considering this, i believe that the original movies are the best way of showcasing his teachings. To break down the movies and cut and group techniques being performed by Tatang, would be the best way for future generations of ilustrisimo practitioners to understand the science behind Tatangs motion.

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

In essance isn't that the key?...To learn from Tatangs movement, but tweak it and make it work for you...we all are different, what works for me may not work for you due to numerous reasons..but the underlying principle is there! As Maestro Yuli says "it must work for you, or it is no good for you"

8. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I would most certainly like to see some more comprehensive KI books around. Personally, I relly like Master rey Galang's writing style, i.e. the manner in which he publishes his books, but it would be nice to have one of those dedicated in more detail to Illustrisimy style. Maybe even the book version of the videos he and Master Ricketts did for Unique...

9. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

no book or video can ever replace actual training. i envy those who were fortunate to train with tatang. i missed my chance in 95'. what i do have the opportunity to refine my knowledge via nong topher ricketts through nong rey galang AND a large collection of video archive from past and present. and they include of course tatang, maestros tony, yuli, topher, macapagal, galang, reyes, sulite, floro, espera etc. and a host of other contemporary players like tommy dy. without already having a solid foundation, one cannot truely understand the essence of the art and make it work for them.

10. Kommunista

Kommunista New Member

I don't think i truly understand why the archived footage hasn't been and isn't more readily avaliable, to Ilustrisimo players

11. Black Grass

Black Grass Junior Member

It would be a little like sharing your personal Christmas video's.

Vince
    Kali Ilustrisimo USA
    Bakbakan international
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

12. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

The knowledge is there, but one must seek it in human form ( the only way IMHO)....No video or book will ever be able to replace the human contact between student and teacher..there is so much philosophy to be passed on from men like Master Yuli, Master Topher, Master Tony, Master Ray.. etc. etc. ....If people do not seek these men out to learn this methodology then perhaps all of the intricacies and philosophies of Tatangs ways and these teachers ways will gradually fade away, lost forever. I for one look forward to my visits with Master Yuli...far more than physical ability is learned (the knowledge which I pass onto my group). This way we can preserve and pass on this great art and the many cultural aspects of it, for generations to come!

PG Michael B
    Bahad ZuBu Eskrima
    Western HQ SATX

13. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

Simple...most of the footage is owned by those individuals. And it is a bit of history that they wish to keep to themselves. Although some are fortunate to have access to the footage by affiliation.

If I may be bold to say that any footage of Tatang is like gold. There aren't many GM's from then and even now that can make the same impact in terms of reputation and skill. He is a true legend. Just my personal thoughts.

14. Deep Fat Friar

Deep Fat Friar New Member

All the same, once you do have some personal instruction and begin to have some grasp of the principles, the video become even more valuable as you can really begin to appreciate what you're looking at.

15. Twist

Twist Junior Member

BTW... Mang Tony told me that there'll be a new book about KI by Paul Chow (uhh.. gonna check the name tomorrow! Sorry, its late here in PI and I really dont know the spelling...), a chinese guy, soon.

16. Deep Fat Friar

Deep Fat Friar New Member

Perhaps John Chow?

17. Kommunista

Kommunista New Member

Thanks for that

18. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Yeah, thats the name. Sorry for the mistake!

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

When is the book due out?

20. eome

eome Junior Member

Interesting.