K.I.L. sticks - any good?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by jwinch2, Feb 27, 2010.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

What are your experiences with Kombat Instruments, Ltd. sticks? I bought a pair from Kali Gear a few weeks ago that I was very happy with out of the box. The people at Kali Gear were very responsive and quick. Unfortunately, after only a few weeks of training, the sticks are completely shredded. I could hardly believe how fast they split and broke. I have the entire things covered with tape already and have already switched ends and had to tape those as well. My previous sets of sticks lasted about 6 months of hard banging before they gave up the ghost so this seems pretty extreme.

2. sjansen

sjansen New Member

If you want your sticks to last, get them from Simon at eskiramkaliarnis.com. He will only sell what is good. I have many pairs of his "seconds" and they last for a long time. I have also found that you need to make sure that you keep your sticks from the Phillipines well hydrated. I use mineral oil or lemon oil on them to make sure they last.

3. DocSerrada

DocSerrada New Member

I love my K.I.L. sticks. They've held up very well over the last year. However, since I'm a beginner, I'm not sure they've been challenged the way some here may challenge their sticks.

4. kaliman1978

kaliman1978 New Member

KIL has decent sticks and I have had a few pair over the years. A few guys in my group buy from KIL and have had mixed reviews as far as the sticks are concerned. Sticks are going to break, but if you want them to last longer I have found a method to making your sticks last a little bit longer. What I find works best is ordering sticks and fire hardening them yourself. I have recently started doing this and I have had good results thus far. As far as how I do it....SHHHHH, the game is to be sold not told LOL!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I've used Kil sticks for over 3 yrs already and haven't had a problem with them.. I have a couple that are cut at serrada length, but these are only used occassionally.. Nick and KIL Products are top notch and give good support when requesting to be shipped overseas to my location..

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I must have gotten a bad set or something because mine started shredding by the end of one class. I'm a big guy and I hit pretty hard. But not that hard. My last set of sticks lasted me a long time before I had to break out the tape. I had tape on these within a week which is unacceptable in a stick as far as I am concerned. Especially when you are paying extra for what are supposed to be tougher sticks.

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I'm over 200lbs and like to use louisville slugger sized sticks.. Most of my sticks from KIL haven't shrapneled yet.. I have used their student sticks and my students have also used them for both tire and heavy bag hitting plus force on force training.. I carried one of the KIL sticks in my car when I was in the states and it went through the cold chicago winters without becoming firewood.. This included the DTS training in Chicago along with my seminars and training trips to Michigan to train with some of the guys in Grand Rapids.. Never Failed me..

8. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

KIL sticks are okay but I really prefer the sticks from Simon at eskrimakaliarnis.com. The last set of tumalin sticks have lasted months of serious abuse. Still rattan shreds and the best way to protect your sticks is to tape them before the shredding and then they will last a long, long time!

9. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I just wanted to give a quick heads up on some great service I received from Guro Leslie Buck and Kali Gear. I informed them about my KIL sticks shredding so quickly and they immediately offered to replace them or refund my money. I informed them that it was not necessary and that I did not hold them accountable for sticks that they got from a supplier. They went ahead and sent me a check for the price of my order anyways which I received today.

I ordered another set of KIL sticks directly from them to get the length that I wanted and I ordered a set of sticks from escrimakaliarnis.com today as well. I wanted to give KIL another chance and make sure I was getting good sticks from Simon as well. I don't want to dismiss a product that seems to have a good reputation on the basis of one order. I will let everyone know how it works out.

I also wanted to make sure that everyone here knew that the company KaliGear is a stand up business and that you should feel comfortable ordering from them. They stand behind their products and give great service to their customers. I also wanted to publicly thank Guro Leslie Buck for his help.

Best regards,

Jason

10. Brian R. VanCise

Leslie Buck is a great guy at KaliGear and definitely stands by his goods! I have always been happy with his products! :)

Simons tumalin sticks are simply top notch and everyone will have a hard time finding anything of similar quality. Franks Supply at
    www.franksupply.com/ is also very good and because he is mostly into furniture you do not have the fear of him ever running out!

11. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I got nothing but trash from Franks. Even out of twenty sticks, none matched well. I broke most of them within a month even after treating them. I gave the rest away to newbies. I will never buy from Franks Cane Supply again unless I was making furniture. I talked to him on the phone and he is the nicest guy I have ever talked to, but his sticks were not.

Simon's sticks will last and he will not sell trash. Even his seconds are great. To make them truly last, treat them with lemon oil so they don't dry out in the northern climbs. I put them in PVC tubes full of lemon oil for about 48 hours and they last great. You will get six months out of them which is unheard of with heavy banging.

12. Brian R. VanCise

I totally agree about Simon's sticks being the best. However, I just got an order from Franks and they are very, very good. Out of the 26 I would say 20 are of a top tier level though not at the level of Simon's tumalin sticks. I ordered or course 1 1/4 size and maybe that makes a difference.

13. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I've never used anything but Kil sticks with the exception of when I stock up on my trips to the Philippines.. My people use them with no problems with the abuse we give them like hitting tires, Palm trees, light and heavy sparring.. Granted you will get some crap sticks irregardless of the supplier if the quality control slips a little.. I have gotten sticks that I personally picked and had to toss them because of the way I treated them.. In fact, when I was training last saturday, I pulled out a stick from my latest group from the Philippines, it had never been used and yet, was already split in 2 different locations, so it became firewood for the bbq we had at the beach..

If there are were any way that we could guarantee that the sticks we get from the supplier would shrapnel or splinter, it would be great, but it doesn't always work that way..

14. fenrismaelstrom

fenrismaelstrom New Member

I've been training FMA for over 20 years and fighting Dog Brothers for over 15. KIL sticks are definitely preferred for both. Best quality sticks I own are always KIL - hard to find better in my experience. There is always some YMMV but they are reliably good and I've put a lot of them through some serious abuse.

Of course you can get into selecting your own lumber, hardening them (soak in brine solution and then bake) to make the perfect pair. But I personally just don't have the time or inclination myself. Taping them end-to-end with fibre tape, and then hockey tape at each end, will also extend the life of any stick. But then you don't get that sulfur smell coming off fresh lumber.... mmmmmmmm.....

Naw - go with Nick/KIL and then get back to training.

Re: Leslie at KaliGear.com - I'm pleased to say he's a personal good friend of mine and definitely someone you can trust. With your life, if necessary. Great guy.

Tricky Dog

15. Belisarius

Belisarius New Member

KIL sticks are the only ones I have used. Currently, I've gone through 2 pairs, each lasting a year. The longevity of the KIL stick depends on the gauge of rattan you get, the lighter gauge ones will break sooner than the heavier ones. I order mine from Valley Martial Arts in Burbank through my instructor.

16. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Agreed. I have purchased several pairs of these and they are the best sticks I have used without question.