Just wondering about sticks...

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by kabaroan, Apr 1, 2006.

1. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

I know that rattan is the traditional weapon for FMA (among others of course) and that kamagong and other hard woods are used.

Studying under Grand Master Estalilla and Sigung Ed Bansuelo, we use dense plastic sticks (white - not sure what they are called and black delrin). We use these as they are pretty much indestructible and provide a pretty good weight (once you get used to them) for siniwali drills.

We tend to use 20" for some Serrada (Cabales-Davis-Bansuelo), 30" for solo and doble baston work, 36" for some larga mano work. These are 1" diameter sticks. We also use 1.5" diameter 48-60" sticks to emulate the bankaw and sibat. (Watching GM Estalilla with a sibat and bankaw is amazing!)

Does anyone else use non traditional sticks for training?

2. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

3. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Durattan...what material?

I was wondering, what kind of material "durattan" is made of?

I found an old email that I had sent to another FMA practitioner. Our (WOR) school uses Delrin (black) and UHMW polyethelene (from www.interstateplastics.com).

Delrin works better with 40-60" sticks; I get a bit of deflection with the UHMW in my 60" bankaw.

4. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

I can't give you the exact make up of the material as it is a trade secret. I can however tell you that it is a blended polymer made out of several different types of plastic to provide the most realistic feel when compared to manu rattan.

Gruhn

5. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Understood! :)

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've always used rattan. I do want to try some of the newer nonwood sticks though--I haven't tried any for many years! I expect I'll get a chance to do so in June at the WMAA camp in Buffalo.