John Bernarski's Pacific Island Tournament & Gathering formerly Nagasulong

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by GT Nene Tortal, Aug 12, 2008.

1. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Congrats to all..sounds like ti was a grand ole time. Continued success John. Mabuhay

PG Mike B
    BaHad ZuBu KI
    Western HQ
    SATX

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes congratulations to everyone. [​IMG] It sounds like
    it was a really good time.

John I look forward to seeing you up here in
    Alma for the Grand Tuhon's seminar on
    Friday the 24th! [​IMG]

3. rm4

rm4 Junior Member

Photo's

I am still trying to post pictures but i haven't had any luck yet.

I have some real good one's of GM Nene with John, action shots of the fights and GM Nene with the ''top dog'' award given to Mariah for her outstanding first place finishes in forms, padded teen stick and padded teen knife fighting. the only person to compete in all 3 event and win all 3!

More to come....

4. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Image posting is currently a feature of supporting memberships.

Glad to hear the event went well. I saw some of the video, looked like a good time. :)

5. Mariah

Mariah Lean, Mean when necessary

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chicago- Pacific Island Arts Tournament with Grand Master Nene Tortal and Grand Master Bandalan!!!

What an honor! Today I am very pleased to have been in the company of some very amazing and very respected legends in the Pacific Island Arts.

Girls! Remember when I posted a few months back and encouraged you to come and test your mettle here? This is why. This tournament is a small yet very clean and very fair event. If you can compete, YOU CAN COMPETE.
    Thanks Guru John- For the invite. Thanks to all the judges and to Grand Master Tortal and to Grand Master Bandalan for believing in me. I had an amazing time and I am honored to have spent the day with you.
    Very Special Thanks to my Grand Master, Bong Jornales- for sharing your love of the Philippine Martial arts, your wisdom, knowledge, and guidance with me. It is because of you that I am who I am today.

[​IMG]
    Me with Grand Master Tortal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Being presented with the Top Dog Award which was Grand Master Tortal's personal Sword!

[​IMG]
    Me with Grand Master Bandalan and Grand Master Tortal

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  6. NAGA

NAGA Member

Results of Pacific Island Tournament.

The winners are:

Y
    outh Forms: 1st place - Josh Kabella (Doce Pares Escrima)

Teen Forms: 1st place - Mariah Moore (Navadisha Jornales Arnis)
    2nd place - Brandon Cash (Bandalan Doce Pares Escrima)
    3rd place - Robert Sepe (Bandalan Doce Pares Escrima)

Adult Forms
    : 1st place - John Bamford (LSA - Lightening Scientific Arnis/Kuntao Silat)

Masters Forms
    : 1st place - Tim Hartman (Modern Arnis, Balintawak Arnis, Kombatan Arnis)
    2nd place - Ferdinand Hallare (LSA - Lightening Scientific Arnis)

Youth Sword: 1st place - Josh Kabella (Doce Pares Escrima)

Youth Knife: 1st place - Josh Kabella (Doce Pares Escrima)

Teen Sword
    : 1st place - Mariah Moore (Navadisha Jornales Arnis)
    2nd place - Brandon Cash (Bandalan Doce Pares Escrima)
    3rd place - Robert Sepe (Bandalan Doce Pares Escrima)

Teen Knife
    : 1st place - Mariah Moore (Navadisha Jornales Arnis)
    2nd place - Jonathan Bayan (Escrima)

Adult Sword Lightweight: 1st place - Cole VanHarn (Navadisha Jornales Arnis)
    2nd place - Adam Zahn (Navadisha Kali, Pencak Silat Zulfikari)

Adult Knife Lightweight: 1st place - Cole Vanharn (Navadisha Jornales Arnis)
    2nd place - Adam Zahn (Navadisha Kali, Pencak Silat Zulfikari)

Adult Sword Middleweight: 1st place - Chris Servain (Doce Pares Escrima)
    2nd place - Sander Spin (Doce Pares Escrima)
    3rd place - Kurt Weigel (LSA - Lightening Scientific Arnis)

Adult Knife Middleweight: 1st place - Mike Schneider (DTS Kali)
    2nd place - Chris Servain
    3rd place - Kurt Weigel (LSA - Lightening Scientific Arnis)

Adult Sword Heavyweight: 1st place - Chris Renfroe (Navadisha Kali)
    2nd place - John Cipkar Jr. (Bandalan Doce Pares Escrima)
    3rd place - Tim Rivera (Garimot Arnis)

Adult Heavyweight Knife: 1st place - Chris Renfroe (Navadisha Kali)
    2nd place - Jamal Crisp (Kampilan Escrima)
    3rd place - Tim Rivera (Garimot Arnis)

Masters Sword: 1st place - Tim Hartman (Modern Arnis, Balintawak Arnis, Kombatan Arnis)
    2nd place - Ferdinand Hallare (LSA - Lightening Scientific Arnis)

Masters Knife: 1st place - Ferdinand Hallare (LSA - Lightening Scientific Arnis)
    2nd place - Tim Hartman (Modern Arnis, Balintawak Arnis, Kombatan Arnis)

Top Dog Winner: Mariah Moore (Navadisha Jornales Arnis)

My sincerest apologies for any misspellings. We all had a great time and thank you everyone for attending and making this tournament a success.

7. NAGA

NAGA Member

Addendum and apologies

Hello Everyone,
    As I posted earlier I am not a typist....

So here it goes, My apologies to team Navadisha the full title of the art is "Navadisha Asika Naipunya" Ignore any other terms I may have put with it...... Also Cole Van Harn only represents team Navadisha at this time. So again ignore my earlier post somewhat. I do believe all else is correct, If not I will be posting again.

Thanks too all,
    John

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  8. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

After having had a week to think about what went down, I thought I'd give my quick review of how the tournament went.

I thought it was a fantastic success.
    Enough competitors to make for sporting divisions (though we'd like to see even more) and enough senior masters and GM's to give the rest of us a thrill.
    Once we started matchups we realized we were once again on Filipino time but we tried to keep a relaxed pace while still trying to move things
    along for those participating.
    We had early demonstrations of Arnis Sikaran Sandatahan as well as Commando Krav Maga.
    There was a lengthy review of the rules to make sure there was complete understanding of how the scoring was to be made. We thought this was pretty well covered but we've since learned there may still be some unclearness for some folks so lessons learned will be to have some example fights demonstrated next year. I'd like to give a personal thank-you here to Datu Hartman for sharing (what seemed excessive at the time) his insights into distinct particulars in the rules. Knowing he has been involved in many tournaments and seen some of the pitfalls that can occur I appreciated his willingness to ask for clarification of what seemed obvious to me.
    There was some pretty spirited fights. At one point I recall two fighter's sticks aligned perfectly and it was as if the air exploded in front of me. There was some pretty serious power and speed displayed. And yet displayed with the utmost respect of fair play and for the opponent.

By all accounts (meaning we've mostly heard the good ones:wink2:) everyone was pretty happy with the outcome and if they didn't win, for the most part they felt that things were run well and that the judging was pretty good. Of course there's always room for improvement. We're all human and it's a game/tournament.

Both GM Alfredo Bandalan and GT Nene Tortal did enlightening demonstrations of their styles and there was a surprise demonstration of live blade espada y daga by Master Styles (high point for me).

All first place winners of adult fight divisions won live blade weapons with the exception of one who opted for carved kamagong sticks.

Oh, and did I mention the antique Sandata display?!?!?!?!?!?!!??
    Unbelieveble. Won this time hands down by Master Styles who brought out the big barungs.

Both myself and Mushtaq are setting a goal of being healed and back in shape to fight next year. I'll probably join the adult division since there's no way I'm facing him in Masters!
    Mushtaq wanted to give props to Datu Hartman for his example of skill and good sportsmanship as well.

It was great fun to see everyone again and as always make some more new friends.

9. NAGA

NAGA Member

Addendum to Results of Pacific Island Tournament

Teen Sword: 1st place - Mariah Moore (Navadisha Jornales Arnis)
    1st place - Brandon Cash (Bandalan Doce Pares Escrima)
    2nd place - Robert Sepe (Bandalan Doce Pares Escrima)

Again, my apologies to Brandon for the mistake.

10. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

11. Karl

Karl New Member

Thanks for the nice clips, can you post also one from Master Styles demo??
    Thanks
    Karl

12. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Cool thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

13. NAGA

NAGA Member

Guro nagarajeen

Hello Everyone,
    yes we will be posting video of Guro Nagarajeen's Demo..... please in public refer to him by his given name and not his nickname. I just do not want there too be any confusion.... Also Guro Nagarajeen in the video we will be posting, is being assisted by John Bamford whom I would like to thank for getting out there and assisting on such short notice....

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  14. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Hey Guy's,
    Hope all is well. For future reference. Master Style's name is spelled "Nagarajen", his title is "Master" and I do believe he prefers the name "Style". It will be nice to see his videos.
    God Bless,
    Stephen
    DTS Florida

15. Karl

Karl New Member

Wow thanks, will be weaiting for the clips from Master Style's....

16. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Yes, we are speaking of a very close friend of mine that I am proud to call my "Brother", whom a refer to on FMA Talk as Pendakar. Hmm, a man of many names.

If everyone is wondering what the confustion on titles and names is about, it is because Master Style is a master of several different sytems and is the ranking member for both of his family systems, from both sides of his family.

As for the speeling discrepancies, they are actually not. I just choose to use Master Style's more traditional last name and title. Spelled and pronounced slightly different depending on what region of the Philippines you are in. For instance, my traditional last name is "Schnee", but here in the US my family goes by "Snow", even my dialect is spelled and pronounced differntly in the US compared to Germany they still contain the same meaning. This is acually more common of an occurence than one might think.

God Bless, Mike

17. NAGA

NAGA Member

On a postive note!

Hello Everyone,
    On a postive note, I would now like too give my small review of everything. The Seminars and tournament went really well all things considered. Seminar day was intense, and friendly. My special thanks go ot to the instructors whom gave it their all in the name of Friendship and solidarity. Gramdmaster Alfredo Bandalan, Guro Brent Cash and Guro John Cipkur, Grand Tuhon Jerson "Nene" Tortal, Datu Tim Hartman, Kumu Lua Isidro Trajillo, Guru Samuel Clark, and Guro Keith Wetoskey And Master Nagarajen.

Day two the tournament... Everybody came to fight, but none had an ego issue. The judging was fair and competent and the winners deserve much praise for their accomplishments. Later demonstrations were given in Krava Maga, Bandalan Doce Pares (by Grandmaster Bandalan Himself!) Dekiti Tirsia Siradas kali (by Grand Tuhon Jerson "Nene" Tortal Himself!) and a display of Espada Y Daga by Master Nagarajen whom would have rather not done one, but whom I thank ever so much for doing it anyway....This was a watershed moment in the Midwest for FMA I hope all can try too support next year. Soon, we will be posting dates and other information!

Special Thanks to all who worked hard to make this event special! Guro Mike Snow, Guro Steve Van Harn, Mushtaq Ali Al-Ansari, Mariah Moore, Stephen Shy and Jose Duenas!

Thanks to everyone,
    John

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  18. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Stephen,
    How about posting some pictures of those sweet Dueling bags you make as well as, sheaths and wraps. This stuff is top of the line all hand made leather...

Thanks,
    John

19. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  20. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Here are some pictures of the Dueling Bag I made as a gift for Grandmaster Nene while he was here at the tournament. The Pictures do not do it justice. I can make the bag to custom order, I can fit it for any weapons that you would like. Rule of thumb - More leather, more money! This one starts at $250.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click on the pictures to go to my Photo bucket to see my Sheaths, Scabbards and bigger pictures of this bag.
    God Bless,
    Stephen