John Bernarski's Pacific Island Tournament & Gathering formerly Nagasulong

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by GT Nene Tortal, Aug 12, 2008.

1. GT Nene Tortal

GT Nene Tortal -== Banned ==-

Hello to all of my FMA & IMA brothers and sisters,

I am looking very forword about meeting everone at this years Nagasulong Championship. I also look forward to presenting the top overall competitor with a pinakama-ayo(top quality) hand forged Ginunting by my personal Panday in Negros, Occidental.

God Bless you all and good luck, Grandmaster Nene Tortal

2. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

It will be a pleasure to attend NAGASULONG. I will be coming from Florida to spend time training with Grandmaster and if my injury permits, I will take a run at that Ginunting.

Everyone be sure to sign up for the right event. Nagasulong is the event to be in this year! Anything else is imitation. John Bednarski always puts on a good show. Without his input this event could not be the success that it is.

Grandmaster, I will see you again soon and I look forward to our time together.

God Bless,

Stephen
    DTS Florida

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Okay the NagaSulong is different than the Sulong tournament?

If so Stephen what is the date, time, etc? Thanks.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Glad to have you here Grand Tuhon Tortal. [​IMG]

5. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

NAGASULONG vs Sulong

Nagasulong is a different event than Sulong. If you want the FMA event be sure to sign up with John Bednarski shoot him a EMAIL forms will be out soon.

6. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Team Navadisha will be attending for the 3rd year and bringing the heavy hitters down from Michigan. My son has to defend his knife title (he also just took Gold in Cebu, small brag).

We've added some new, serious characters to the team who are almost foaming at the mouth for some real action in the ring.

7. NAGA

NAGA Member

NagaSulong

It has become unfortunate but we have had to announce a change in venue for the Pacific Island padded stick/sayaw tournament previously held in conjunction with the Sulong Championships in New Lennox, Illinois.

The supporters and promoters have reached a position of disagreement on the direction of the Sulong Championships combined tournament with the principles and have agreed to part ways.
    Rather than take a temporary hiatus for this year to regroup, we would like to maintain the momentum this unique event has built up and will continue to hold the event this year for the sake of all the competitors who have been putting in the time and sweat to prepare for this exciting event.

As previously promoted it will still be held on October 12 but the venue will be changing to the Midway Kodenkan Dojo at 5159 S. Archer in Chicago, IL with all the same principles running this event.
    It will now be known as the NagaSulong (thanks to GM Nene Tortal!) which we feel more closely reflects the sprit of the event. NagaSulong translates as “Bring it!”.
    The venue this year will be slightly smaller at the Dojo but we also hope that the type of individuals who wish to compete in it really won’t mind.

They just want to test themselves with like minded individuals. With this in mind we will make every effort to make this a double elimination tournament for both knife and stick fighting to give everyone as much fun for their time and money as we can. And as for money, since we will be changing to a smaller venue, entry fees will be correspondingly lower. Now just $20 for the first event. The awards however will be the same.
    Fight rules will again be first blood with the knife being stop point and the padded stick being continuous 2 minute rounds with concurrent scoring by the judges based on the first blood rules.
    you have any questions, please feel free to contact John Bednarski at kali@midwaykodenkan.com
    Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm glad you're keeping it going!

9. Brian R. VanCise

Okay, we know where it is at so that is good and we will see you there. [​IMG]

10. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Glad to hear things are still on!

Twenty for first event; how much to compete in more than one event?

11. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

We now have two tournaments on the same weekend. Which one should you attend? I will most likely be attending the Nagasulong Championship. I’m not taking sides in this little squabble. My choice is based on the fact that GT Tortal will not be at the Sulong tournament. I’m not 100% yet. I have some youth competitor whom would like to compete. Before we make the commitment I would like to see what the divisions are going to be like and if the rules have changed. Looking forward to receiving more Intel.

P.S. John, give me a call when you get the chance.

12. Brian R. VanCise

I'm not taking sides either as I am sure they will both be very good tournaments. Still I plan on attending the Nagasulong to visit with the Grand Tuhon. [​IMG]

13. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Tim, what age is your youth competitor? My son is 14 and so is Mariah Moore. Would be good to have some more age appropriate competition, 'though my son is game for the adults.
    Rule's will not be changing from last year. I'll be centering/running the fights.

14. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Maybe we can get the divisions, rules and ages listed here?

15. GT Nene Tortal

GT Nene Tortal -== Banned ==-

Hello again everyone,

To the best of my knowlege there is no salungatan. They are just doing their own thing. I have been told by both, that John focses on the Pacific Island competition with little knowlege of Karate and Tae Kwon Do and Norm on the Karate competition with little knowlege of SE Asian and Pacific Island systems. I wish them both the best.

This will be my first personal presentation at the NAGASULONG Championship. So again, I am looking very forward to the event, seeing some of the people that have been supporting my tour and meeting everyone that I have not yet had the opportunity to do so.

God Bless, Grandmaster Nene Tortal

16. Brian R. VanCise

I look forward to seeing you there Grand Tuhon and also later in the month up at my place in Michigan! [​IMG]

17. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

i'm glad to hear that the fma are getting their own event. i'm going to do my best to make it up there and hopefully will be bringing another member of the garimot family with me. i look forward to meeting other filipino martial artists.

mabuhay,

tim

18. Brock

Brock Asha'man

One of these days I'm gonna' get up to your place as well.

19. Brock

Brock Asha'man

One of these days I hope to make it up to your place as well.

20. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Brock,

One of these days I will make it out to your place as well and we can do some stick and blade training. [​IMG]