James Cagney does Judo!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by arnisador, Feb 4, 2008.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Judo black belt James Cagney gets in some throws and some falls, then proves that the BJJ of tdoay is the Judo of yesteryear:
    [yt]SMJixq-LbgI[/yt]

2. Kickass Will

Kickass Will New Member

Cool clip, it is odd and impressive seeing Cagney throwing and falling and taking it to the ground. Strewth I didn't think the movies knew much about eastern martial arts...unless he is Catch wrestling... Excuse my ignorance but was Cagney really a Judo blackbelt? Most impressive either way around.

3. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Yes , he was. It was a pretty good movie for its time.

4. Mangtas

Mangtas New Member

Yup. I've watched that Cagney film on late night TNT movies and marvelled at the Judo being shown in that old Black and white m0vie, they didn't have choreographed fights with stuntmen like today, they supposedly actually fought for real in front of the camera, I've read the actors sported bruises from the fights after the takes.

5. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Have ypu seen "Bad day at Black Rock"?

6. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I believe Sinatra did TKD in the original Manchurian Candidate. I don't think he trained in it, but I believe it was the first movie to feature an Eastern fighting art.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Some (non-martial artist) colleagues have been telling me to watch that movie just because it's good. I didn't know there was a martial arts angle to it?

I've seen that, and it was surprising to see it in such an old move.

Hmmmm, more info. on both of these fights here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manchurian_Candidate_(1962_film)#Production

Both are described as Karate!

8. Brock

Brock Asha'man

HA! I've been teaching FMA since I opened my school, and if you ask my students what they're learning they'll say Arnis, but they still say they're going to karate class. It's just a term that's become so generic that it's used to describe every martial art.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, it rankles me to see signs saying "Filipino Karate" on FMA schools but in all honesty if I had a school I'd probably do the same thing too.

10. Frank Sinatra was a student of American Kenpo founder Ed Parker. TKD was still in it's infancy at that time and was not really on Hollywood's radar at that time.

11. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

The late Master Parker taught most of the hollywood actors. Some left and went to Bruce Lee.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm watching Spencer Tracy use some simple but clearly Japanese-inspired shuto strikes and a nontrivial throw in the diner scene in Bad Day at Black Rock!