is this REAL?

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by tanod, Nov 24, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Why isn't I see anybody bowing to me yet? Don't you people I have just appointed myself the Great Tuhon Great Grand Master?

Damn it, people never pay attention...

:tantrum::redeemer:

2. Unfortunately silence denotes acceptance.

But on this forum denouncing someone as a liar means getting banned too.

Difficult to balance the two sides.

3. FENOM

FENOM New Member

Tuhon Phil,

I would love to get the chance to train with you one day. Any chance that you will be coming to Toronto to conduct a seminar? I know that my school, Kali De Leon, sometimes has Grand Tuhon Gaje down but I never got the chance to go. I would be great if both of you would grace us with your tutelage and knowledge.

4. I was in Toronto just a few weeks ago doing a seminar for Rene Cocolo.

I go back frequently to see my wife's mother.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

All we ask for is polite and professional discussion. It's not the topic that is banned, it's the way it's discussed.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

6. equilibrium

equilibrium New Member

Not sure, I would say his 12 strikes looked and terminology, heaven, earth, sinawali, etc sounds more like inosanto blend to me.

Not conclusive but I might bet he does some JKD.

7. I would like to know how calling someone a liar would not be casting aspersions on his (or her) character. Most liars have also convinced themselves of their illusions.

This guy does not practice any recognizable version of Pekiti Tirsia. He is lying when he claims to have been promoted to his stated rank by GT Gaje.

Printing a t-shirt does not make it so. The fact that he met GT Gaje a long time ago also does not make it so.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Perhaps then it would be best to simply state your opinions without resorting to characterizing the individual more generally.

Discussions must be conducted civilly, but that doesn't mean you can't disagree or question.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

9. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

In essence you can say the man is lying, but you can't say he's a liar?

Pete

10. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I believe that he is probably lying, based on the discussion above. If someone has evidence that would contradict my opinion, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Of course I could have said Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire! - but that would have been contrary to the civil tone and reasonable discussion to which our moderators ask that we adhere.

Is there something here (if I am reading between the lines correctly), that leads me to suspect that GT Gaje is willing to just let it go?

Best,

Steve

11. Brock

Brock Asha'man

More or less. We can discuss what the man said, and give reasons why what he said is untrue and that person or supporters of that person can give their reasons why they feel it's true, but as an example, if I came on and said that Pete is a nana-poopoo-headed liar, then I'd be opening myself up for potential liable or slander cases plus I look like a friggin' idiot myself cuz the best I could do to refute your claims is to call you a name that isn't even inventive for a pre-schooler.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This is along the lines of what I mean--disputing the statements without characterizing the individual. We'd prefer "That statement is false" to "You're a lying scumbag" (but we don't want to make a hard-and-fast rule about what language is appropriate because situations vary). Part of the reason is that we (the staff at FMAT) can rarely know the truth, and part of the reason is that if people look at this board and see too much mudslinging then it's a huge turn-off for them, regardless of whether or not the mudslinging is justified.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

13. pguinto

pguinto New Member

You can be the Great Tuhon, but isnt it better to be like Vince Vauhn - "...I'm the man behind the man behind the man... "

14. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

Take note here...controvercy makes for a big long thread. I find that amazing. heheheh

Did I spell "controvercy" correctly?[​IMG]

15. Guro Michael

Guro Michael New Member

I don't get to spend as much time online as I would like because both my work and my training schedules take up most of my time. What i have left is usually devoted to lifestyle things like shopping and showering. Anyway, I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I finally find some free time to surf to see so much gossip and all around crap posted on this thread. It is one thing to have a different opinion, disagree and debate but all of the attacks on Master V are both juvenial and uncalled for. Recently at the FMA Convention in Baltimore I was told that among other things, Fraternity and Solidarity were two of the values that are supposed to set us apart from other all other arts. None of this "my system is better than your system" BS usually reserved for quasi-Karate styles and black belt farms. Bickering and name calling are best reserved for the schoolyard where petty and jealous differences have a permasant place. As FMA practicioners, I was told, we hold ourselves up to the highest ordeals of cooperation, learning from each others art and maybe even sharing some of ours with other like minded people. Lively debate, spirited discussion and thoughtful or insightful questions are supposed to be the tools we use to compare notes and refine data; physical training fills in the gaps between questions and answers so that we may practically apply what we have learned from our exchange of ideas. I am very disappointed indeed to find that people whom I held to great esteem shared in the mudslinging and ****talking on this thread. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for acting like first graders rather than ask questions and compare notes. Certainly this is not the image of FMA we want circulating.

I will post some type of bio for Master V next.

16. Guro Michael

Guro Michael New Member

I believe that Apolo & Bobby Ladra are Master V's cousins. I think Tuhon Gaje is Master V's cousin as well.
    Master V tends to be a little nuts sometimes, his reaction to ****talkers and the like is usually to challange them to a fight, what can I say. I am not suprised that Gelinas hasn't heard of him, he echoed a likewise sentiment regarding Gelinas.
    Master V started studying kali maybe fifty or so years ago in the Pilippines with his dad and uncle, family style, you know? Something like 1960, I will have to check to be exact, Master V started studying with Tuhon Gaje and is still with him; I believe Tuhon even lived with him for a time while he finished Master V's training. He became a Tae Kwon Do Master by 1972, later Grandmaster. He had two or three different martial arts academies. He was a professional boxer and world champion kick boxer somewhere along the way there. The way Master V tells it Tuhon wanted him to stop promoting non-Filipino arts and he gave in and retired from Tae Kwon Do. In the mid-nineties he was inducted into the U.S. Martial Arts Hall of Fame in Ohio and granted the right and title of Soke or Founder. Now I don't know anything about how or when he was promoted but I do know that his students started calling him Tuhon. Even though I have known Master V for 20 years I only started started training with Ed four years ago, I was told he was Tuhon Eddie V. He kinda still prefers to be called Master V but most of his students call him Tuhon as well.
    Now that I have grown into a full time FMA devotee I have learned a lot about other styles. I understand that PTKI people feel strongly about their ranking and instruction system, but that is the only exposure to PTK they have had and by Tuhon McGrath's own admission (I can provide quotes from his news letter to prove it), he changed the system around and re-structured it. Tuhon Eddie V has been teaching us how and what he learned from his family and from Tuhon Gaje, so unless Tuhon Gaje taught him bull****, gave him lies, Tuhon Eddie V is teaching traditional Tortal Family Pekiti Tersia Kali.

We both look forward to the civilised exchange of ideas and comparisions thereof.

17. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Michael,

Thanks for your posts. Actually, the strongest objections to Master V's "Tuhon" status came from some folks over here affiliated with PTGO (GT Gaje's organization). I didn't see any other negative posts from people at PTI (Tuhon McGrath's organization) - unless you count my post (#30).

I apologize for any hurt feelings that may have resulted from my statement: "I believe that he is probably lying, based on the discussion above." My post was really intended to be more of an example of "how to treat people on an internet forum" than an attempt to castigate Master V. Hence my followup statement ("If someone has evidence that would contradict my opinion, I would be interested in hearing it") provides me with some scant moral cover as it was intended as an invitation for reasonable discussion.

Your answer provides a context for my question: "Is there something here (if I am reading between the lines correctly), that leads me to suspect that GT Gaje is willing to just let it go." Hopefully some saner heads will continue to intercede and provide more context so that a PTGO junior instructor will not have to spill his blood on the sands of Mactan Island.

Best,

Steve

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  18. Guro Michael

Guro Michael New Member

[​IMG]Ihommedieu, I have to tell you, PTKI, PT-GO, PTK, whatever, it is all kind of confusing to me, so many groups and associations. Honestly, it just gets in the way of training. The Way and The Path have little to do with these things; sometimes material trappings and personal egos cloud The Path. All we can do is try to stay focused and move forward, continue to train and endeavor to better ourselves. What else is there?

O, and no feelings were hurt, my first post was concise and complete i believe. I was personally disappointed but ultimately that don't matter to a hill of beans, The Way has not changed nor has The Path moved and I will continue training regardless what children print here.

19. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Right. "Shut up and train" should be a mantra for many here (myself included). It would make a nice t-shirt, as well.

Best,

Steve

20. Funny you should say that..

I made some proto-type t-shirts up in dryfit a few months back and this is the one I didn't keep for myself:

[​IMG]

Back graphic (though the real version has the complete flag):

[​IMG]

LOL!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008