Introducing myself

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by JayFrasier, Jan 11, 2010.

1. JayFrasier

JayFrasier New Member

Hi everyone,

Someone suggested that I introduce myself so that you all will know I did not join the forum to just "hawk" somebody's products. So, let me tell you how I came to find this forum.

I've been interested in the martial arts since watching "Kung Fu" when I was a kid. I studied Isshinryu Karate when I was in high school. I did not practice any martial arts again until a few years ago when I decided I had become way too sedentary. So, I started studying Taekwondo at the only martial arts school in my small town.

During the time I was studying Taekwondo, I purchased two videotapes from Stadion Publishing, one on stretching and one on high kicks. I also subscribed to their e-newsletter. This will become relevant in a moment.

I no longer study Taekwondo. I currently study Chen style Tai Chi, and I just started taking a class in Shorin-ryu Karate (mainly because I can do so for free). I've also spent a bit of time training with a friend who is certified to teach JKD, though he is not currently teaching. I hope to resume studying with him if/when he begins teaching again.

A few years ago (I think), in the Stadion Publishing newsletter, they gave an excellent review of Ray Floro's "The Essential Ray Floro" DVD set. At the time, it sounded interesting to me, but I was already exhausting my "martial arts budget" each month with the fee for my Taekwondo classes. So, I did not order the set.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a mention on another website of the Ray Floro DVDs.

This piqued my curiosity and led me to look up Ray Floro's website. I decided to go ahead and order his DVD set. My plan is to work on learning the information on the DVDs as well as I can at home with my wife and son. I have not received the DVDs yet, but I have watched some of the downloads of the lessons on my computer.

On Ray Floro's website, he discusses the fact that his approach to knife-fighting is based on Kali Ilustrisimo. I went on-line to find out more about KI, which led me to this forum.

If there is anyone in the Eugene, Oregon, USA area who is training in FMA, feel free to PM me. There is one school in the area who advertises that they have a class in JKD/FMA. However, it costs over $100 a month, and the expense is an issue (there's a recession, you know).

I would love to be able to study a FMA with a live instructor. However, for now, I will try to be content with the options that I have open to me considering where I live and my budget.

Also, please feel free to give me any helpful advice or suggestions, either on the public forum or via a PM.

Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself!

Jay Frasier

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately forums like this one are often prey to spam attacks but judging from your post above I am sure that you are well-intentioned.

I like Ray Floro's approach and as I mentioned in my PM to you it is influenced by his background in Western fencing as well as Kali Illustrisimo.

Dan Anderson's school is in Gresham, OR. While that may be a hike from Eugene it may be worth your while to study with Dan once a month or so as your understanding of FMA's will improve significantly if you do. He is also hosting a seminar in a month or so that brings together several FMA styles under the same roof. Following are links that will provide more information:

http://www.danandersonkarate.com/

http://www.danandersonkarate.com/store/Pdx_FMA_Festival_2010.html

I visited my sister and her family in Lake Oswego, OR (just south of Portland) last summer, and sampled some great pinot noir from the Williamette Valley before heading up to the OP and British Columbia. My brother-in-law keeps inviting me to go steelhead fishing with him so chances are I'll be back in the area before long.

Best wishes for your continued martial arts success.

Steve Lamade

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! I'd second the advice to look into Dan Anderson's stuff if it's close enough to be workable.

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Here are all of the schools listed for Oregon that I am aware of. I'll throw in my kudos to Dan Anderson as well. I don't see how you could go wrong by training with him.

http://www.fmadigest.com/Database/Schools/north_america.html

- A.P.I. International Combat Arts, 12239 SE Stark St., Portland - 97233-1049
    [503] 287-4265 - Email / Website
    - Dan Anderson Karate School and Modern Arnis, 311 NE Roberts St., Gresham - 97030
    [503] 665-8596 - Email / Website
    - Ernie Reyes' World Martial Arts, 3075 SW 234th Ave Suite 103, Hillsboro - 97123
    [503] 642-1500 - Email / Website
    - Escrima-Arnis Kali San Soo Oregon, P.O. Box 3412, Ashland - 97520
    Email
    - Eskabo Da’an, 5040 SE Milwaukie Ave., Portland - 97215
    [503] 381-9145 - Email / Website
    - Kombatan Martial Arts Academy, 15875 SE 114 Ave. Suite O, Clackamas - 97015
    [503] 657-3408 - Email / Website
    - Makoa Combatives Group, 3137 SW Primrose street #8, Portland - 97219
    [971] 506-4610 - Email
    - Northwest Fighting Arts, 1200 SE Morrison, Portland - 97214
    [503] 740-2666 - Email / Website
    - Taodragon Martial Arts, PO Box 11157, Eugene - 97440
    [541] 683-1271 - Email / Website

Here is the website for the one school in Eugene. I know nothing about them at all. http://taodragon.com/

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

If videos are the only option, would it be possible to review them with an instructor (or black belt, or equivalent) in your Tai Chi or Karate training? Sometimes looking at the material with the guidance of someone that is more experienced can help a lot with your understanding.

Another possibility is to try Craig's List, or something similar. There may be folks in the area that wouldn't mind taking a student, but don't have the means to have a formal school.

6. JayFrasier

JayFrasier New Member

Wow! Lots of great ideas! Thank you all so much!

I will definitely check out Dan Anderson's school. Gresham is about 2 hours away, but I should be able to afford to travel up there occasionally. My wife is losing her job at the end of this month, so it may not be monthly.

Taodragon.com is the website of Don Hildenbrand. I'm not sure if he is still teaching. I've emailed him and called him a few times, but haven't heard back from him. I'll keep trying, though.

The idea about reviewing the ideas on the DVD with someone knowledgeable in the area is an excellent one! I'm sure I can get either my Karate Sensei, my Tai Chi Sifu, or my JKD friend to do so.

Thanks again for your kind acceptance and helpful suggestions!

Jay

7. JayFrasier

JayFrasier New Member

Just a quick follow up. Don Hildenbrand (taodragon.com) did get in touch with me. He is currently retired from teaching, except for a couple of private students. He was open to my perhaps taking a few lessons from him, and we may do that in the future.

Dan Anderson was quite helpful. I ordered his "fast track" DVD on Modern Arnis. He said I "absolutely" could come up to his school occasionally to get some feedback on what I am learning. I plan to do so.

I also was informed that there is a group in the area who is studying Pekiti-Tirsia Kali. I'm waiting to get some more information about that group.

So, it looks like I'll have a few opportunities to pursue studying FMA after all. :) I'd like to say "thank you" again to everyone who took the time to post a comment.

Best wishes,
    Jay

8. swan

swan New Member

Hello,

I realize this thread is a year old, but it seemed like a good place for me to post. I wanted to let people in the Eugene Oregon area know that Don Hildenbrand (taodragon.com) is teaching Escrima again. I took his class through Lane County Community College last term. I took his class for one term about 4 years ago and then he decided to retire to take care of his family. I was looking forward to starting a new term last night, but the class got canceled because we didn't have enough students signed up. Don said that he will try again next term, so I thought that this would a good place to try to get the word out.

Thanks,
    Swan

9. blindside

blindside student

Hi Jay, that PDX Pekiti group is under my instruction, please contact me for any details. blackbirdmartialarts(at)gmail.com

Edit: Ah, nevermind, I didn't realize the post was a year old. :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  10. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

No worries. I, for one, am glad you posted. FMA digest is now defunct so it is good to have info on these threads which are searchable so that people know what is being taught where. Thanks!

11. blindside

blindside student

I realize the OP on this thread is a year old, but I wanted to clarify about the Portland Pekiti group that I mentioned, they are a satellite study group under my instruction. I am usually there monthly and they come to visit me in Kennewick quite frequently. It has been a small backyard group, so we haven't advertised the PDX group at all, but they are maturing in the art quite well and should be looking to establish a regular venue in the near future.