Intro to Arnis

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by ajs1976, Feb 8, 2006.

1. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

I don't think there are any schools, that teach Modern Arnis in my area.

What would be a better intro to Modern Arnis, Professor Presas' book, DVD volume 1, or both?

I'm not looking for something to use to learn the art, but something to will help me learn about the art.

Thanks

2. kruzada

kruzada Punong Guro

GM Remy's blue "Modern Arnis" book from the Philippines is a good introduction to the art. You can purchase it for $7.50 at Tatak Pilipino http://www.tatak.com/default2.asp , just search for keywords "Modern Arnis".

-Rich Acosta

3. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

4. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Hello Andy,

ANY book or video you can purchase of the professor's is well worth getting.

There are the books, Pink/Blue from the Phillipines, or the Yellow that was released here.

Also, Video's, the 7 original's or the 3 released by Black-belt Mag.

I know you can purchase the 7 Originals from Datu Hatman at www.wmarnis.com

& i know it can be difficult, but if you can attend a seminar near you, it will be worth the time.

Good-Luck to you

Enoch

5. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

Andy-

You might want to contact Datu Hartman. He is located in Buffalo NY, which is about 3 - 4 hours away from you. There are seminars and camps at the school all the time. His e-mail is admin@wmarnis.com

6. kruzada

kruzada Punong Guro

The "blue" book from the Philippines is slightly more comprehensive than the yellow book. It touches on many of the classical influences of Modern Arnis.

I would buy all the books by GM Remy, if you are interested in learning more about the art. GM Remy has another book "The practical art of Eskrima" I believe you can find it at www.modernarnis.com

Rich Acosta

7. Alakd'an

Alakd'an New Member

Another source.

Another excellent source for Modern Arnis are the five Books by Dan Anderson. These are a great resource at breaking down sequences from the 12 striking points, Tapi-Tapi, Trankada, etc. Our group finds them invaluable. If all you can afford is Modern Arnis Basics book, it is well worth the cost. Ben Harrison, Alakd'an Modern Arnis Club.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Have you followed up on this? If so, what do you think about it?

9. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

Right after I posted the original messages, some family issues came up that caused me to stop all training, so there hasn't been time to start something new.

Things have settled down, so i'm trying to get back into things, which is why I came back to check the site.

Hopefully I will be ordering one GM Presas' books or videos soon.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Good luck! Keep us posted.

11. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

I purchased the yellow book and it just arrived today. I skimmed through it, but it is going to take a couple of days to get a feel for what i'm reading.

I have a gift card for Amazon, so I think i'm going to get one of the Arnis videos from BB Mag.

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

12. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

Just wanted to follow up.

I have read through GM Presas' yellow book twice. It is a good introduction. Because of the format of the Ohara books (a lot of pictures, little text) it is kind of limited in how deep it can go into material. There are a lot of pictures though and they help to so the progression. I will eventually look into getting his other books.

I also picked up Dan Andersons' book that covers basics. I was a little concerned since it also discusses his MA-80 system, but he points out what comes from GM Presas and what comes from MA-80.

I ordered volume one of the Black Belt Mag video series. Did the free shipping on Amazon, so it might take two weeks to arrive.

I also read through some of the old posts at Martial talk from 2001 and 2002 in the Modern Arnis forum. Some interesting stuff there.

If anyone else has any suggestions for Intro material, please post it. Thanks to everyone that has posted so far.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It sounds like you have plenty of material to work with! Now you need to find someone to swing sticks with to get the 'feel' of it. If you can make it to Buffalo or Philadelphia, there are WMAA schools/events there; if you can make it to Columbus, there's an IMAF school near there. Go to a couple of seminars or privates and get a better appreciation of what you're practicing.

14. Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson Member

Hi Andy,

Not to worry. MA-80 has been officially recognized as a branch of Modern Arnis in the Philippines.

Yours,
    Dan Anderson

15. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

16. DavePaj

DavePaj New Member

videos are worth it

in my experience video's are always worth it, you just cant see everything that is going on in still photographs. the stuff that happens between the photos is very important.

17. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Good to hear your input Dave. Don't be a stranger here :)

Videos can be very valuable...but their value depends a lot on how a student learns. Most students learn well visually, but not everyone does. I once watched a videoclip with a traning partner of a short technique. My training partner picked up on what was going on immedately. I had to watched the clip 4 or 5 times and I still wasn't sure what as going on. :D I wish I could learn from videos as well as you can. Its really cool to hear about how someone can get so much out of a training tool like a DVD.

Between videos and books, their worth it is how useful they are to the individual student. They are convey information in different ways because students learn in different ways. :)

18. stick fighter

stick fighter New Member

Thanks guys to all info ... .