Intro Escrima Sticks

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by bklynjames, Aug 11, 2008.

1. bklynjames

bklynjames New Member

Im sorry if Im asking the same questions probably asked 5,000 times before but here goes. I'd like to purchase my first pair of escrima sticks. Im 6"2' and roughly 200 lbs. and would like to have something heavy.. Is there something I should look for. Lets say white oak as opposed to kokobola, or something of that nature..??

Thank you in advance,
    Bklynjames

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Rattan is generally used for training, as hardwood sticks can shatter and hits to the hands get old after a while.

http://www.bambooandrattan.com/catalog/specialty.htm

If you are looking for something to practice solo then 1" diameter hickory dowels would be a good start.

Best,

Steve

3. bklynjames

bklynjames New Member

Great

Thank you for the speedy reply...

4. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Coming late to the thread but here's my dos pesos...

My school trains with synthetic sticks...UHMW...much denser and heavier than rattan. I also have a pair of Delrin synthetic sticks. These are both pretty much indestructible.

I have gone through a few rattan sticks (who hasn't?!) and typically use them for demonstrations but even then, I'll use my UHMWs.

I have several pairs of red oak sticks, 36"x 1" diameter and 36"x1.125"...great for solo training. It will beat up your training partner if he/she is using rattan. They were okay with the synthetics but...I seriously cracked on performing forms...(vertical strike to the ground) ... thankfully nothing happened to anyone, just a broken stick.

The hardwood sticks were meant for fighting, not training, or so I have been taught.

YMMV.

Respectfully,

5. tellner

tellner New Member

Get Rid of the Rattan

A couple years ago I decided to be smart about it and let someone else do the the hard work. Just a few blocks from my house I found a source for cheap high quality purpose-designed sticks. You can hit them against hard things for hours on end, and they won't shatter. Literally millions of man-hours have gone into making them as close to perfect as the mind of man can devise. When beginners train with them they use better body mechanics and cutting technique than the people who train with rattan.

My exclusive supplier is called "Tru-Value Hardware". The sticks are called "axe handles" and "pick handles". A few minutes with the sander or a few more minutes with hand tools are all it takes to reshape the end for safety and shave down the grip for smaller hands. Hickory has the best impact resistance of any wood on the planet. Ash is in the top ten. You would have to work pretty hard to get them to shatter.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ok, this is already way beyond my abilities! My wife is very handy with tools though (she's a civil engineer).

7. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

No doubt about it that this is a nice alternative Tellner. Except if you do really hard hitting stick on stick drills then eventually with hickory they will shatter. That is the beauty of rattan is that I have only seen a couple shatter and then it was still attached so it did not go flying. I have on the other hand seen hickory shatter and well that is just plain scary.[​IMG]

8. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I'm with Brian. Rattan just kinda' goes poof and balloons out where it breaks and doesn't go flying. Hardwoods go rogue. Could hit you, your partner, or any other unsuspecting person on the floor (or even off)

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, rattan has a nice safety factor in training. Hardwoods don't! They also can end up looking worse for the wear, whereas rattan, like men, looks better as it ages!

10. tellner

tellner New Member

Dunno. I've been using them for years with hard hitting stick-on-stick. They still haven't shattered kein an hora.

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

It only takes once. [​IMG]

12. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I have tried everything- I prefer rattan. After pulling shards of wood from my cheek 1 time, I gave up on hardwoods. They have a tendency to toothpick and they are not nice in the eyes. The odd rattan chip doesn't do damage. Also, who can resist the smell of hot rattan- huh? It is intoxicating.