Information on Guro/Sifu Larry Rice

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by jwinch2, Jun 6, 2010.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Does no one know?

3. This is his bio off the web site:

"The first will be Sifu Larry Rice 28 years training in the martial arts. Trained under Vic Payne, Francis Fong, Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell, Tim Tacket,Graciela Casillas, Bobby Taboada, Master Cha"

Doesn't mention years under any of them, which means so it could just be a list of seminars attended.

Coming from NC he seems to have a connection with the Great Smokey Mountain group, and is active with their camp. The comments about him come from people outside of the current Inosanto umbrella. Since this discussion group (Kali/JKD) generally falls under that designation the people here may not have run across him. That does not say anything about his ability, just that no one here seems to know.

He seems to have pursued FMA on his own and has gone to the Philippines. The photos don't say anything.

Guess you will have to find out for yourself.

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I've talked to him about setting up some training so hopefully it works out. Can't hurt to try.

Thanks for the response...

5. DJKali

DJKali New Member

Sifu Guru Larry Rice has been my instructor for just over a year. I am only a beginner in the Martial Arts, but I consider myself to be a very discriminating student when it comes to who I entrust with my education. I feel very fortunate to have found Sifu Rice and that he has accepted me as his student. Unfortunately the bio on his website is far from comprehensive and as you noted, does not offer complete information about his tutelage. This is due in part to his very humble nature, but mostly to the fact that his website is incomplete. Much of the information presented there is no more than an outline because the person who was working on the website for Sifu Rice has moved on to other pursuits. In the near future, the website will be completely overhauled and will include a bio that will give a more accurate picture of who is Sifu Guru Larry Rice.

I know enough of Sifu Rice’s history to answer some of the questions that you may have. Sifu Rice is definitely NOT a ‘seminar black belt’ from some McDojo. He began training with Guru Inosanto in 1984. He told me that he attended 28 classes per year, taught by Guru Inosanto, for the first five or six years, and then continued to attend as many classes as he could afford. That was in addition to his regular training with Sigung Vic Payne who hosted the Great Smokey Mountains Martial Arts Camp. He holds an apprentice instructorship under Sigung Francis Fong, and has trained extensively with Ajarn Chai Sirisute, Tim Tacket, Larry Hartsell, Graciela Casillas, and Bobby Taboada. He met Bobby Taboada while doing some integrative cross training in Jiu-jitsu with Rickson Gracie. Eventually Sifu Rice travelled to the Philippines where he trained for two years under the instructorship of Guru Bernard Galadia and in Kalintaw with Grand Master Galo D. Lalic. Some of Sifu Rice’s classmates include Sifu Dwight Woods, Simu LaVonne Martin, Guru Bruce Jolly, Sifu Floyd Jackson, Dicky Herald, and Sifu Brent Lance. My own research shows that many of the names I just mentioned are of people who are directly within the Inosanto circle.

I recently attended the 2010 “Training With the Masters” seminar at the Francis Fong Academy where I had the honor of meeting and training with Sifu Fong, Guru Inosanto, Professor Pedro Saure, and Ajarn Chai for a total of 24 hours. I found the time to be of huge value and I walked away with a greater knowledge and understanding of the disciplines that I am studying, but it would be a dishonor to them if I were to claim that those 24 hours constituted any kind of extensive training. I understand that these disciplines require many years of very hard work, dedication, sacrifice, and patience before one can gain the title of Sifu or Guru, and that no certificate can fast track that journey. I’m here to tell you that Sifu Rice has done the real work and he is the real deal.

That being said, I want to thank you for your efforts to weed out the opportunistic name-droppers and hollow certificate holders who profit on the ignorance of many enthusiastic students who may never realize their full potential because they found the wrong teacher. Rather than helping to improve or save lives those kinds of teachers are endangering their students’ lives with a false sense of accomplishment. I would urge anyone who is interested in the martial arts to look carefully at the credentials of the teachers they choose as well as the credentials of their teacher’s teachers.

Thank You, D.

PS: sorry about my cheesy user name, DJK are my initials and I registered as DJKali before I realized that is the name of a popular recording artist. I have no relation to that person.

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks for the reply. I have since met and trained with Mr. Rice on a few occasions. I agree that he seems very legitimate, is a nice guy, and shows solid skills.

Best regards,