In Need of Sword Trainer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by pguinto, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Yep, this one was just too pretty to pass up...

2. Thanks Brock. As I mentioned I did have 5 and am now sold out in one day!

I'm still hoping to get some stuff done on you-tube with the Espadas but will have to be next week as my training partner is taking a week off. Well. He's helping GM teach so I suppose he's forgiven! And I'm naturally envious heh.

3. I've had a few questions about the Espada Sets so here is a closer look at the 21" and 32" set and hilts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. More close-ups of the "Nilantip" (Pinuti) Sword and Dagger + Pira Knife.

These are all GM Yuli Romo's designs. Please note the indents on the base of the blade of the Nilantips. These are for "Squeezing" with the thumb and and index finger. This enables the blade to be rotated without a big movement of the elbow..

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Man, I've gotta' stop checking out this thread or I'm gonna' be splitting my next 6 months worth of pay checks between Bill and Simon!

I can't wait to see the look on my daughter's face when I give her the Barong Bill made. She keeps trying to steal the Talibong he made me. I'm going to try to hold out 'til her birthday, but it's 3 months away. I don't know if I'll be able to make it.

6. Heh heh heh. Sorry Brock!

Here's some more pics for you though these are from my private collection and not for sale. Check out the idents and the buffing work on the aluminium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out the real thing to:

[​IMG]

:)

7. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Do you have any video of the swords being used. I'm trying to picture the rotational thing, but can't do it. Maybe it's my lack of sleep.

BTW I'm not sure why but Pira draws my attention. It's a beautiful piece.

8. I was hoping to put some stuff on youtube but my training partner is helping GM teach this week so hopefully next week.

9. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Great! I'm looking forward to it. I've got to get some things up on YouTube as well. My issue is more of a technical problem. I can't seem to get my files to make nice with the site and they won't load.

10. Brock, I had that problem before.

I use a Div-X converter which helpfully shrinks the files a bit too.

11. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Thanks Simon. I'll look into that.

12. Brock

Brock Asha'man

My family and I got home today from watching my daughter cheerlead, and there was a box of Bill's Barongs for my students. Of course I had to give each of them a few test swing. What kind of instructor would I be if I didn't make sure that the quality of each piece was perfect? :angel:

Boy I'm glad I got that extra one for myself cuz otherwise someone may not have been getting theirs!

13. Did I mention I had Kampilan trainers as well degned by GM Yuli...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made from Sampalok (Citrus wood) and the aluminium is manually cut and buffed.

$135 with shipping if you contact me through PM.

Simon.​

14. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Simon, you're an evil man...:EvilGrin: I've gotta' hold off on that one though. I will shoot you a PM later on in the week to see if you can get me a few things my main equipment supplier has on back order indefinetly though.

15. Sounds cool Brock (not the evil bit though!). I am going to Bohol to celebrate my anniversary in a few days though. The wife is staying at home - JOKE!

Anyway, Master Yuli gave me some more training blades to publicise on Sunday so I thought I would share the with you good people.

First up with have a pira knife and a small barong (I forget the correct name so I expect a slap on the wrst. Or a stick to the knuckle) both at 14 inches long and a 5.5 inch handle. The wood is "Sampolok" (Citrus).

[​IMG]

Again, please note that the aluminium is buffed. A problem that I notice with the other trainers is that they attract finger prints extremely easy.

Master Yuli has also made a scabbard to fit these two which is quite unique for training blades. Take a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's real goat's hair there. I asked Maestro where he got it from. He just looked at me and said "I went up to the goat and cut it off!" :)

Lastly we have 2 pira swords which are 22" long and great for training. Check these out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right now Master Yuli makes weapons "To relax" when he is not training or teaching - which is pretty much all the time. If anybody was interested in getting him to make you a set please PM me to work out a price / time-frame.

I have also posted his excellent flat sticks here

Simon.

16. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Simon- I got the package today. The sword is as beautiful as the picture folks! Jason just happened to be at my house when I unpacked it so he got a #1 strike with the padded stick straight out of the packaging. I'll test that stick and the other some more tonight and for the next couple of weeks and let you know what I think.

17. Thanks Brock. Sorry I was only able to put one padded stick in due to weight restrictions.

Best wishes,

Simon.

18. Just to let you know I have the aluminium training blades in stock again. The length of the blades on the sansibars are:

26" / 20" / 15" / 8.5"

All modelled on Leyte Sansibars I took to the Panday.

PM me for prices / more details.

Simon.

[​IMG]

19. Some photos of the Sansibars:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:)