In Need of Sword Trainer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by pguinto, Apr 24, 2008.

1. pguinto

pguinto New Member

looking for sites that sell sword trainers; aluminum and/or wood preferred. any suggestions?

im currently comparing stuff from the following sites:
    - Combative Customs
    - Eskrima Customs
    - Tak Knife
    - Kris Cutlery

i think i want a pair of barongs, my friend wants a pair of kris swords

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

3. DonKey

DonKey New Member

4. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

I'd be more than happy to make you a couple swords pguinto.
    Did I meet you at the Sulong last year?

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I think the general consensus is that Bill's work is awesome. I've cruised the internet for a couple of years now looking for training blades and his are the most affordable. Especially his custom work. Which is also awesome because I'm a bit larger than the average Filipino so the grip size of traditionally sized swords are a bit small.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  6. Phil Mar Nadela

His work looks really good. I'm purchasing a kris from him when i get my pay pal sorted out.

7. Phil Mar Nadela

8. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Well I have said it a bunch that simply Bill's work at Combative Customs is the best not only in quality but in price. I use my training blades from Bill almost every day. [​IMG]

9. pguinto

pguinto New Member

no, bill, i couldnt make it cuz i had to work. judging from what ive seen so far from the catalog and the posted customs, im leaning towards your site,

a couple things:
    1) i want my 1st sword trainers to be metal, not wood,
    2) i really like the look of barongs (and i dont mean tagalog)

question:
    since ive never held/swung a real sword before i have to figure out what size suits me best, somewhere btwn 19"-22" total length. how much does a 19" barong weigh? is it blade heavy? if so does the wooden handle add weight? being a serrada player, i prefer my weapon's tip end to be lighter compared to the butt end for tighter control

10. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

Barongs look blade heavy but the balance is kinda deceiving since the blade is wide at the base. The real ones I've handled and the trainers I make move pretty fast. I'll have to weigh mine to be sure what they come out to.

I might also suggest a skinnier blade style is you are looking for less weight in the blade, the big Matulis bolo is pretty close to the length you are looking for and the balance is closer to the handle due to the blades shape.

Either way I'm sure I can make you something you'll be proud to train with.

11. Makata

Makata New Member

Bill's work is the best, period.

I recommend him without hesitation or reservation! :)

Lester S.

12. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Agreed. I got a couple trainers from Bill a bit ago and 3 of my students asked me to get them one immediately after seeing them. I ordered 2 more for myself as well... :biggrinbo

13. Aluminium Sword Trainers

Just picked up my new range of sword trainers today....

Take a gander:

[​IMG]

All hand-made in the Philippines. I went to the blacksmiths with my instructor (GM Yuli Romo) and he instructed the blacksmith to make some of his own unique designs...

Still, I much prefer the work of GM (see bottom) as the blacksmith whilst good doesn't have the martial knowledge (and love!) to accompany his work (case in point he asked why the handle of the Sansibar was so small and thought you held it with a closed fist...)

I love working with the Panabases and I really like the feel of the 18" Sansibar. We plan on putting some training vids on youtube soon using these weapons.

If anybody would like any info on prices just give me a shout.

All the best,

Simon

[​IMG]

14. Phil Mar Nadela

Ang ganda naman n'yan Kuya Simon[​IMG]! Thanks for posting.

15. Maraming Salamat Po :)

I like them too and look forward to using them myself over the next few days.

Ofcourse, the "Baraw" knife pictured above we use all the time. Now if only I could use it correctly I'd be getting somewhere!

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Wow, nice collection!

17. Thanks Arnisador :)

I am just listing this Ginunting on ebay for $75 with free worldwide shipping (2 - 3 weeks from the Philippines). If anybody from the forum is interested PM me and I can sell it for $65. The barong is the same price as well incidentally. Both pommels are made from kamagong and the aluminuim is 1/8" thcik. I'm not sure of the grade though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Nice work! [​IMG]

19. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Looks good. I'm tempted...

20. Here's some more pics of the Panabases (right form of plural?) that we had made to tempt you further ;)

[​IMG]

Due to their weight (around 300g) and rounded hilt they make an excellent transition from stick to sword. They are 24" long.

And also a slightly different style of Espada Y Dagas that I have ($100 including shipping for FMAT forumites....)

[​IMG][​IMG]

These differ from the ones I originally posted. The ones in my first post I got them to make Aluminium trainers of Live Leyte Sansibars I have like these:

[​IMG]

I have a bunch of these too but they are difficult to ship from the Philippines and I have to frame them to do so :(