In Memoriam

Discussion in 'Kombatan' started by Alex(ander Bautista Bayot France), May 20, 2012.

1. Happy Birthday, GGM... Ernesto Amador Presas, May 20, 1946 - September 1, 2010

2. Malmo

Malmo New Member

Typo by GM Alex.

Should read May 20, 1945 - November 1, 2010.

=)

3. Remembering Ernesto Amador Presas
    May20, 1945 – November 1, 2010

It’s been many years since I first met “GM”. I wrote about our first meeting in his Filipino Knife Fighting book.I can honestly say, that after all these years, I am still amazed by Ernesto Amador Presas, the man, the Great Grandmaster, and his art of Kombatan.

Ernesto Amador Presas was not “just a man.” He was an amazingone. As a young man, he was an athlete many times over. Had he gone intoboxing, I honestly believe he would have emerged a world champion –and theFilipino martial arts (FMA) world would have never known one of its greatestexponents.

He was a scholar and an engineer.Anything he wanted to learn, he learned. Anything he wanted to build, he built.Anything he wanted to accomplish, he accomplished with a drive and tenacitythat oh, so few people have. Many people dream big but don’t have theconfidence to begin or the fortitude to stick it out. He had both.

He also had a BIG heart. Due to hisskill and stature in the martial arts world, many people sought him out andmade friends with him for the sole purpose of self-promotion, leaving him whenthey got what they wanted. He knew what these type of people wanted, and knewahead of time what they planned to do; but he gave anyway. Like a tree, thefruits of his labor were for all who asked. What you did with it, and whetheryou stayed with him or not, was up to you.

Although he was world renowned andfriendly to all, he was at heart, a private person, preferring always to bewith his family and cadre of close friends. If you found yourself a part of hisinner circle, you were indeed very fortunate; because his friendship was deepand constant. And it was a friendship you could not buy. I remember the manytimes on his seminar tours where he chose friendship over income, preferring tovisit schools who “had good people” but no money over strangers who had.

In my half century of meeting andinteracting with literally hundreds of masters and grandmasters, I have metmany who were good, many more who were not, but only a very, very few who wereEXCEPTIONAL. Even within this small, exceptional group, Great GrandmasterErnesto Amador Presas stood second to none. In terms of skill, he was second tonone. In terms of martial arts knowledge, he was second to none. He was awalking encyclopedia of Filipino martial know-how.

And his art… what can I say that Ihaven’t said hundreds of times to the hundreds who have asked me? Kombatan wasengineered from the ground up by a genius who ate, breathed, and lived combat. Therewas a purpose for everything in it. He never lost sight of the original purposeof martial arts: victory in hand-to-hand combat. Within that art, he preservedthe Mandirigma Legacy; he added to that Legacy, and he passed it on toall who asked.
    Pugay!

Alex(ander Bautista Bayot France)
    Sibulan,Negros Oriental, Maharlika
    November 1, 2012

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  4. I see that with cut-&-paste many of my words got stuck together. Too many for a quick edit. I'll leave it the way it is. You get the mesage. :)

5. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Today is the two year anniversary of the passing of GGM Ernesto A Presas. It seems like it was only yesterday I was on the Presas family beach laughing and joking with GGM Ernesto. I miss you Tito!

71777_1602160007687_1046676549_31618717_6599632_n.jpg