Ilustrisimo Concepts

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by Sicilian, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Sicilian

Sicilian New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm compiling a list of Ilustrisimo concepts that I can use as a reference tool for learning. Being fairly new to training this art on a consistent basis (Did a couple of sessions back in '02 with a senior's son and got to spar with another senior who was based in Oz / sparred and trained 2x with Master Tups and Bruce in LA), I find it overwhelming. Since May, I've been training pretty consistently (thank God!) and have made a decision to make prioritize my training in KI versus Muay Thai (my love), Boxing (like it) and BJJ (my 1st love).

Here are some common principles that I've noticed: (Pls feel free to add anything or correct me.) Constructive criticism is welcome:

1. For the cutting motions (taga) and some parries, seems like the fulcrum (or pivot point) of the blade is always at the center.

2. For thrusts (tochada or whatever it's called) and other techniques like the "Boca de Lobo", the fulcrum is at the tip.

3. Wide movements are a definite taboo for the system.

4. The use of the "alive hand" is basically just an insert to offset your opponents centerline and put you in prime position to finish him off.

5. Protecting your weapon hand is a must. This is done by proper body alignment and posture.

6. The "Retirada" and "Elastico" Footwork buys you time to deliver a counter-attack with one count.

7. There is seldom any blade to blade contact in this system. Parries are done with either the flat or back side of the blade.

8. Counters are 1-count. The parry (defense) and counterstrike (offense) utilizes a single beat.

9. Using your peripheral vision cuts down on reaction time. (This really got me!)

Pls feel free to add anything else. Thank you.

Toby

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Classic! Your teacher remains true to classical Ilustrisimo.

3. Sicilian

Sicilian New Member

Anything more you might want to add pare? I'm compiling stuff mga kapatid. My exposure is still very limited compared to a lot of you guys. Young padwan still has MUCH to learn . . . :)

4. Raul

Raul Mananandata

All contradas can be applied Recta(hand,arm,body,head) and/or block/parry weapon. When prefixed with Ingganyo, they can be executed as asaltos. They can also be used as seguidas following the basic initial attack. They shouldn't be executed in rote but adapt accordingly to one's hand/arm/body positions/structure/momentum in relation to those of the opponent's.
    Recta isn't a simple hit the hand/arm/body/head tactic but a direct application of techniques found in classical Ilustrisimo.

5. Sicilian

Sicilian New Member

What are contradas, recta and seguidas? Might have to ask that on my next session. Thanks.

If anyone has anything more to add, pls do so. MUCH TO LEARN I still have . . .

6. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

Since our group here in Vancouver, Canada only meet once a week, we emphasize the retirada (steal an extra step then lutang) followed by a direct counterstrike to your attackers weapon hand followed up by a head strike. Initially, the counters are only 2 counts (first to the hand, the second one to the head). This is probably the simplest fundamental but practical strategy for part-time KI practitioners such as our group.

This training format was shared to us by Norman Suanico. I am partial to this format as it is simple to learn, retain and apply in sparring and is applicable to knife, stick and sword. Norman has a 10-level program and for me, Levels 1-4 are sufficient enough in dealing with weapon attacks (this is my personal opinion and observation only having been in the FMA since 1985).

All the best in your KI studies, you will not regret it.

7. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Hi Louie.

How long will it take to finish that 10-level program of mang Norman?

8. Black Grass

Black Grass Junior Member

Contradas are counters and Seguidas are follow ups. You don't know these terms because Master Tups doesn't use them.

Vince

9. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

Norman suanico

Hi Raul,

I believe there is no set time to complete the 10 Level that Manong Norman offers here in Canada.

It's an excellent program though, well thought out and presented. In fact, I like it a lot. I have been in the FMA since 1985 and have found that this type of Level training works for me and my small group here.

I myself only work on Levels 1 - 4 not only due to constraints of time but several law enforcement and military personnel have enjoyed it as well, even instructors. In fact, kahit Level 1 and 2 lang for me ayos na.

Kung panlaban lang nga o sparring Level 1 material lang pwede na.

Again, this is only my personal experience. I still and will always respect and still learn from all first and second generation KI teachers and practitioners. We just don't have the luxury of time to work on all the material learned.