If you're going to wear a Modern Arnis T-shirt...

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by arnisador, Sep 5, 2009.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I walked into the first day of my Calculus I class on Thursday and to my surprise in the front row there was a freshman wearing a T-shirt that said Modern Arnis on the front! But when I asked him about it, it turned out that he had studied at a martial arts school that taught a bunch of different arts (as indicated on the back of the shirt) and Modern Arnis was not one of the arts he had studied. Sheesh! It was the only art listed on the front of the shirt.

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

i have yet to see someone who's wearing an arnis shirt here in edmonton, but my punong guro sometimes were his vintage shirts to class sometimes. He has an old lightning scientific shirt and a Modern arnis "larong arnis" shirt from the 80's that looks so cool.

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes that is kind've a rarity to see a Modern Arnis t-shirt and then the person does not even train in it? [​IMG]

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I'll have to add that to my pet peeve list of things like, "You remember when Tapout gear was worn by people that could actually tap you out?"

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Damn, that was funny. And, unfortunately true.

6. PlumDragon

PlumDragon New Member

Where was this?

For a few years in college I trained at a school called "Colorado Chapter of Modern Arnis"--there is also an affiliated Wyoming Chapter of Modern Arnis. The schools' owner apparently named it such to fulfill a request from GM Presas that he carry on the name if he opened a school. Coincidentally, on top of Modern Arnis, the school also taught Shaolin Kung Fu, Pakua/Xing Yi/Tai Chi, and some more esoteric systems from China and India.

I still have my shirt which does say Modern Arnis on it in some neo-chinese font, but I never formally studied Modern Arnis there...only their Chinese systems. Perhaps he studied at the same school? =)

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

His school was near Columbus, OH, but a similar situation!

8. tswolfman

tswolfman Member

What school ? we dont have many arnis schools out here?

9. Brian R. VanCise

Could it have been from here:
    http://www.teamhmac.com/location/

If so Dan McConnell spends a lot of time teaching and training Modern Arnis and a few of my friends speak highly of him. [​IMG] (however they also teach Aikido and Women and Youth classes here. They are located near Columbus!

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I asked about Dan McConnell and Sam Wolf and he said it was neither!

11. Brian R. VanCise

Well that surprises me! [​IMG]

12. tswolfman

tswolfman Member

Was it trudo's ?

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I can ask!

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

He said it was Jason Gearhart (sp?), who taught a variety of things at something like a YMCA or other athletic center?

15. Epa

Epa Member

There is a Jason Gearhart that teaches a Modern Arnis class at Indiana University in Bloomington. I think he's associated with IMAF and trains with Chuck Gauss.

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's pretty close to me....hmmm, I dunno!