Id

Discussion in 'Board Support Issues' started by G22, Nov 1, 2005.

1. G22

G22 -== Banned ==-

http://fmatalk.com/showpost.php?p=715&postcount=30

This is the 2nd time ive noticed my name being used in response to my posts here. While its no big deal, why is it that others like "apollo", "the boss" etc. get to keep their anonymity and are obviously "known" from MTC but theres the "I know who you are" point being made towards me? Obviously some admins have been using their abilities to identify who I am (either by IP, posting sign up information that was supposed to be "private", or by some other means). Yippy skippy for you, but what is the implication being made? If Im not allowed anonymity on the board (talk to me as "me" in PM or e-mail if ya like), then tell me I have to put my personals in my profile.

tom

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. Apollo

Apollo Administrator

Maybe we should require names be public. I'll discuss it with the other admins.

Bill

3. G22

G22 -== Banned ==-

If thats the case fine. However I believe the "well TOM"'s were meant to prove a point. Didnt know that info I didnt post was eligible to be posted by people with "inside information".

4. Apollo

Apollo Administrator

Might be, I don't know. I looked at your profile and nothing in there "ID"ed you to me.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I haven't even looked at the profiles. I made an educated guess in both cases.

But you raise an excellent point. We'll look at it! We appreciate people bringing points like this to our attention as we get this board running smoothly. We've learned from MartialTalk, but we're still new nonetheless!

-Arnisador (Jeff Leader)
    -FMATalk Admin

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  6. G22

G22 -== Banned ==-

I was responded to as "Tom" on my 2nd (one sentence) post...I would think that you would have to be clairvoyant to have made that guess w/o some data from somewhere....

7. G22

G22 -== Banned ==-

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Our policies were largely ported over from MartialTalk. While we mean to stick to our posted policies, there will be a certain amount of training-time for staff. We ask for everyone's patience during that time period.

We've clarified our brief privacy policy in internal staff discussions. It's our policy not to use a member's submitted information in public.

-Arnisador
    -FMATalk Admin

9. loki09789

loki09789 -== Banned ==-

What is the process if it is clear that member's info has been made public without permission?

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We've handled the matter internally.

-Arnisador
    -FMATalk Admin

11. loki09789

loki09789 -== Banned ==-

Not trying to pry. What is the administrative process that is in place to deal with any violations of this type, generally speaking?

In school there is the verbal warning, the write up, removal from class, after school, In school suspension, out of school sus., .....it is a progression based on the severity and frequency of the violation.

THe rules seem clear, just wondering about the response process.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The FMATalk system is similar to the one at MartialTalk but perhaps less forgiving. We issue in-thread warnings directed at the general tone or heading of a discussion, and direct warnings to individuals; both of these have occurred so far. In addition, we can suspend or ban users, though we have not had to do so yet. However, we intend to act quickly if the need should arise in order to maintain this site as a useful forum for the discussion of the FMA. This is a privately owned board and the owner ultimately decides who is and isn't welcome and what types of discussions are and are not wanted. FMATalk is not to be confused with Switzerland!

We don't discuss the direct warnings that are generally sent by PM in public, as a rule; exceptions may occasionally need to be made to clarify a situation.

-Arnisador
    -FMATalk Admin

13. loki09789

loki09789 -== Banned ==-

Thanks. That is very clear.