I Am So Sick

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by The Phalanx, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Exactly Bill, what is your point? we don't even know whether the God of Phalanx has any church dedicated to It...he was not exactly specific about it.

Anyway, I see the bowing thing as a matter of custom, i.e. cultural tradition. Now, to refuse that is to show the lack of respect. Something as if refusing to take your shoes off when entering peoples' houses (where it is customary) or take off one's hat when entering a church etc.

I really don't see any difference between bowing to someone (provided they bow back to you) and simply crossing your sticks like at the beginning of DB matches, as long as it is a genuine show of respect and courtesy, in line with the habits of the specific group.

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

The point of what I am making is that respect is a two way street and must be given to be received in turn.. If someone says he/she doesn't bow, but still says he/she nods his/her head, that is still a bow as the head is bent to pay homage or respect to an individual.. The statement was also made that he doesn't bow to any statue or idol, yet it goes on to state that he bows his head in respect to a likeness of the symbol he worships..

The point that I am making is why say one thing one minute just to go and change it in the next posting.. It just leads one to wonder if the understanding of respect and the act of bowing irregardless of how slight is above the comprehension of the original poster. Too much waffling in response to my queries tend to make me wonder if the subject matter is too deep for understanding clearly in the opposing point of view

Nothing more, nothing less..

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The Dog Brothers have changed the game! Like the UFC (albeit on a much smaller scale), they've brought a form of reality to modern stickfighting. That can be good and bad. The way they train isn't at all sword-like and may not translate to heavier sticks than the rattan they use, but it's hard to argue against the fact that they've shown the roof-and-crash strategy has definite value. Good for them! It's not the only way to train but it's a great example.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The religious discussion is off-topic in this thread.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

5. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

The roof and crash is what I used to train. It worked for me for many years. When I started using steel in my training, everything changed.

6. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

In class we salute to our lineage instructors out of respect. Just like a salute to a military officer. Its called RESPECT. Something some don't understand.

7. Brock

Brock Asha'man

EVERY art gets criticized at one time or another especially on the internet.

Pot... Kettle.... Black....

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Point.... Taken..... Now..... Preach..... To...... Choir.......

Bow before opening mouth and inserting foot:EvilGrin::angel:

Must.... Fight.....Evil....Comment..... Demons.......

9. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

There are several definitions for and uses of the word "bow":

• bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame or greeting
    • submit: yield to another's wish or opinion; "The government bowed to the military pressure"
    • bend the head or the upper part of the body in a gesture of respect or greeting; "He bowed before the King"
    As a cultural gesture of respect or greeting, a bow is really no different than a salute or shake of the hand. It's not in my culture to bow but, if I'm interacting with a culture that practices it, I'll return one that's given to me. It's much the same as other cultures recognizing my handshake for what it is: a polite, social gesture. It has absolutely nothing to do with submission or deifying another. It's all about culture and good manners.

Robert

10. Stone

Stone New Member

"I bow to no man, living or dead."

"I don't bow to any statue... Unless that statue is a symbol of Jesus"

So, you'll bow to certain statues of dead people? Just so we are clear on this.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Admin. Note.

Thread closed.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.