How many people train with canes?

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by Brock, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Thanks! I'm sure it's as similar to La Canne as Italian Fencing is to French Fencing. I believe there is also some cross over because there are Savate schools in Italy that may teach La Canne as well.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

OK, that does sound similar!

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It's been 4.5 months since my knee surgery but I still carry my cane when I walk in the woods so I still consider it something to train with!

4. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

I think its instinctive old eskrimadors use canes to desguise themselves of an eskrimador in there early years my grandad use to have a cane he uses when he walks but made up of metal and the tip if you pulled it its a small dagger. maybe it depends on the orrientation of time my grandad was a war veteran in the pacific its his orientation and how it explaineds of what he is but the misterious thing about it he never trained in arnis nor in kali. I think its just instinctive in your drive and the environmental influence around you. no education in weaponry yet knows how it works. "we call it kapit sa patalim" or "lacas ng loob" a filipino guerilla only feels his instincts that whats drive them to know what they are doing. the mastery of the art is in within us we jsut wait for its maturity for its effectiveness

5. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

This cane here http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/CaneSword.html has historical significance in the Philippines. Of course from European influence. They were carried by people of wealth for self defense purposes. There is more info on the page. i am sure you will find it interesting.

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I hope to have some footage on garote larense which is a stick art from Venezula soon.. A friend of mine who lives there trains in it as well as Penchak Silat.. Once I get the footage, I will see about posting it in the video section of the forum with his permission..

Will keep the moderators informed

7. chris arena

chris arena New Member

I have been training with the cane for a number of years and have researched many unique sites in the process and have spent many hours working with Instructors, friends and students to develop workable cane skill. I have had the best success in modifying Datu Kelly Worden's "Connecting the Systems" Sibat Long Pole tapes and have used his 10 count strike and counter two man sets and have scaled them down to fit the walking cane, umbrella, etc. As a Student of Datu's I have spent many years perfecting his system and at his last seminar we had at his school two weeks ago we spent the bulk of about 4 hours on the Sibat 10 strikes starting with the long pole and then transferring the energies to single hand usage. I would highly recommend any serious cane practitioner to grab a copy of Kelly's Sibat Long Pole from his "Connecting the Systems" set. It is available on his NSI site. An oldy AND a goody! This coming March I have advertised a class thru the local college called: Sibat Cane Self-Defense for Adults. The foundation of the class centers around Datu Kelly's tapes. We'll see how it goes, at least I am having fun!

Chris Arena

Chris Arena

8. Dec

Dec Junior Member

I had a debilitating knee injury 13 years ago, since then I use a cane. It just seemed natural to practice the exact things I learned in class (the little I have had) with the cane too. I haven't had any problems using it in the same way as the shorter sticks, but my footwork is bad because of my bad knee. I have gathered a few canes it that time and I use the older,more beat up ones, to hit the heavy bag with. If i go a few days with using the cane only the sticks feel very light in my hands.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I hadn't thought of that, but using a cane counts as training with a heavier stick! I'm often criticized by my instructor and Mr. Tortal of DTS for using sticks that are too light so I'll count this!

10. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Canes are fantastic weapons. They can be carried (i believe) openly in most places without too much difficulty in terms of the legal aspects.

I use FMA techniques but also use ideas and techniques from the Korean art of Kuk Sool Won,which utilizes neck and wrist throws,joint locks and leg sweeps.

The cane in Kuk Sool Won was seen as a weapon deriving from the buddhist monks as it could be used in a non- lethal manner if so desired.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I was at the airport today and the sign said no club-like weapons past security, listing baseball bats, for example. Nothing about canes!

12. chiangmaiheadman

chiangmaiheadman New Member

I have a bamboo walking stick that I take everywhere basically as protection from the often vicious stray dogs that roam around this village. Many people, even younger ones, carry walking sticks for this reason. I never studied Filipino martial arts, but I was the leader of the riot control team in a NY maximum security prison for many years and have trained and used batons extensively, and many of those techniques are useful for canes or walking sticks. Now I am retired and live in Thailand and have been learning Thai stick fighting techniques of what is called krabi krabong.

13. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I believe at last summer's meet and greet Drac said that he and Father Greek were carrying their canes (not using them to walk) and not only were they allowed onto the plane with them, they were sent through security via the handicapped line and were able to pass through faster.

14. TuhonBill

TuhonBill New Member

Cane in FMA

Hi Folks,

I adapted some Pekiti-Tirsia techniques for cane/walking stick use since, other than the LEOs, very few of my students carried a baston length stick on their person on a daily basis.

The techniques are grouped into three sets with 12 techniques per set.

1. Low Grip. The stick is held like a baseball bat.
    2. Middle Grip. The stick is held like a rifle with a bayonet.
    3. High Grip. The stick is held as if you were doing bench press.

From there, many of the close quarters baston techniques from Pekiti-Tirsia (such as the second set of Recontras) can be taught as an advanced cane set.

You can find the first walking stick set being demonstrated on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hy8ZXJckME

Regards,
    Tuhon Bill McGrath

15. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

PTK Cane

Great stuff and very practical. What I like about PTK cane is that it's modular: you can adapt the techniques to a variety of larger-than stick/baton type weapons. It's also easy to see how, since a lot of the techniques look like they're bayonet-based, you can adapt them to an empty/jammed shotgun or carbine, if no other weapon is available and clearing/reloading your weapon is not an option.

Longer staff-type weapons get addressed quite well by the PTK sibat curriculum, so there's quite a nice blunt trauma continuum going on here:

empty hand - pocket stick - stick - cane - sibat

You could, for example, find techniques that would work well with a hiking staff from both the cane and sibat curriculum.

I don't think that there's much that doesn't get addressed by such the continuum, and the more that one practices individual weapons and the techniques for each weapon, the more one comes to find a shared quality of movement between them.

Best,

Steve

16. tellner

tellner New Member

I've modified my stick and sword work for a walking-stick. I've also spent some time practising the curriculum outlined in the old text The Walking Stick Method of Self Defense. It's good stuff, and with the scars on my leg I can get away with carrying one almost anywhere.

When my unindicted co-conspirators Mushtaq and Terry finalise the Silat Zul Fikari curriculum the two main weapons will be the walking stick and the scarf. I was holding out for shamshir and buckler and Eastern archery, for the sheer coolth factor, but they're a bit limited in the modern world :(

17. Saw a mental thing on the "Animal Planet" or a similar channel last night...

This nutcase was in a South African game part filming a wildlife documentary. There'd been reports of man eating lions.

Off he went armed with a sheperds crook to tackle the lions. His plan was to ram the stick down the throat of a charging lion, initiating their gag reflex..I was mostly amused by the cameraman who said "What should I be doing when you do this? Run back to the jeep?" and the guy (who I have nothing but admiration for) told him to stay put.

I saw them get charged by a lion as he was testing the Lion's flight / fight reflex and they all ran as fast as possible back to the jeep. Unfortuantely, I didn't see what happened when the guy decided to stand his ground on his next sorte.

Class.

18. chiangmaiheadman

chiangmaiheadman New Member

I have a big bamboo walking stick to protect me from the many vicious dogs around here. But a dog is not a lion. I think this guy is crazy and I hope he survives but I would bet on the lion. I have not seen a lion attack in person but I have seen tigers and believe me if they charge you a stick is not stopping them.

19. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

20. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

I use the cane a lot. It's a mix of Dr Gyi's Bando cane program and my Presas Family blend. It works quite well.!