How long a stick do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by kabaroan, Jun 21, 2006.

1. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Serrada Sticks

My 2 cents: No reason other than tradition. The clans/families that formed the cultural/historical basis of Serrada favored a shorter sword. Why? Probably because they worked on ships and docks where there wasn't a lot of space to move around, and quick, precise back-and-forth movements on gangplanks and between cargo was very practical.

Serrada makes a lot of sense when you interpret is as a short sword (machete, cutlass, e.g.) art that uses sticks nowadays for training. An "inside sweep" with a stick doesn't make a lot of sense if someone's crashing in on you with power shots - but would they be as likely to do that if they knew that your "stick" take their thumb off their hand with a turn of the wrist?

Best,

Steve Lamade

2. nash

nash New Member

I have used sticks a little bigger than the ones that Sigung Ed teaches us to use, and I really prefer the shorter 28"-30" sticks. They seem to flow a litlle better than the longer sticks that others use. My favorite is one that Sigung Ed gave to me form his own sticks that he has used over the years. It measures from my armpit to my wrist and is lightning quick.

3. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

It measures from my armpit to my wrist and is lightning quick.

I think you are talking about the 20" sticks used for Serrada. Yeah, they are quick! I carry one in the car...20" black delrin from Interstate Plastics.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

No preferance...what ever I grab I grab...light, heavy, long, short, one handed, two handed, I will make it work.

5. jus_dann

jus_dann New Member

man i use a 4"palm stick to a 9`chinese long staff and every size in between. i feel that one should train with diferent sizes because when the time is on, you should feel comfortable enough with whatever you can find at the time. typicaly i train with 18"x1/2", 22"x5/8", 26"x7/8", 30"x1", 34"x1,1/8", 36"x1,1/4",40"x1,1/2"

some think i`m crazy.....LOL
    but hey, that what i feel

dan

6. nash

nash New Member

I've never really measured it, but I love it. Would you perhaps know where I can find one? I need to replace it as it is frayed.

7. loyalonehk

loyalonehk Kaju Dog - DBMAA

Stick lengths

Right tool for the right job... Yes, whenever possible.. Situational, use whats available. I will work with spacific length sticks when at seminars, etc. Sigung Bansuelo gave me a Serrata stick long time ago. I still have it and enjoy working the knowlege that I feel the stick has embeded into it from years of blood and sweat. It realy is quick and feels right doing in close stick work. I also have the longer Kabaroan sticks for much of my two handed power play but like the extra length when working the locks and counters to locks taught by GM Estalilla. I enjoy working all aspects and ranges and like to experiment with mixing the applications, that came from roots that traditionally have been taught with a specific length stick, and then try it with a variety of different lengths. See what transfers and what does not.

I somewhat favor the Serrata applications due to the fact that I could apply the same knowledge when using my MAG LITE at the club back in the day. Now the MAG Lite spends most of its time near the drivers seat in the car.

It's good to see the "Warriors of Righteousness" here. Sigung Bansuelo is one of the best. A humble Warrior in service of our Lord.

Respects,

8. nash

nash New Member

What would you define as the right tool? I prefer to get in a little closer and cut of the range of motion that the person would have. It has done wonders for me. I once used my small stick while practicing with my instructor in New Jersey (He has won many stick cometitions) and it was hard for him to be able to do much. I find that when I box them in it lowers their arsenal, which is why I go with the smaller Serrada sticks rather than the longer 28"-30" sticks. However, since I only have the one, I'm not sure what I would be able to do with the double stick set up.

9. loyalonehk

To quote one of my old mentors... "You beta be able to fight in a phone booth" GM L. Gumataotao
    Well, I have not got into it in a phone booth... but a bathroom stall might count.

Staying with the topic... "Sticks"
    CQC=Short stick (Serrata or Palm stick)

5 x 10, 10 x 10 to 10w x 20L (Sorry, I used to train in a small storage facility unit at one time) Serrata type or arm pit to fingers length.

Room to move (ie outside) Kabaroan type or short staff.

*Not much into the full length staff stuff (over 4ft).
    Like you, I like to close in fast - with my Kajukenbo background, inside fighting is where I live. I like the speed of snapping/hacking/chopping motions the shorter stick allows.

The little extra length (arm pit-fingers) gives me a wider variety of options and tends to be better (for me) applying chokes on the bigger players. (Less chance of slipping out of my choke) It also gives a little more reach (I've got short arms) when striking at hands or ankles (anticipating that my opponent is better than I) ,gives more leverage for leg take downs and when using the punyan for chokes, etc.

The bigger (short staff) gives that devestating power shot, when going after someone that doesn't move to quick. But beware of over commiting with this however. Someone quick may throw the game plan off.

Just my .2C's - Hope I answered your question.

I dont claim to be a subject expert... Always the student first.
    Keep in mind I'm just talking sticks here.

Right tool depends on the situation, my attacker and my surroundings. But, It aint a perfect world is it?
    Like GM Ted Sotelo likes to say, "When its a real stickfight... Go Caveman, but with skills"

Respectfully,

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  10. loyalonehk

fat fingers

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  11. loyalonehk

With or against the double sticks?

If with, I like to think of it as playing the drums like a violent rock star performing a drum solo... Always several moves ahead and strike with precision. Oh, sweet music... The non-dominant hand should be working like a shield and also like a snake - seeking a path for the dominant hand to have a clear line of sight for the big guns.

If going against, clear as you close in and jam e'm. Again its always situational. How good are you and how good it your enemy. Most often we wont know until its over.

V/R,

12. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Up until this year, I've been training with a specific length, but lately I've been going with whatever stick I happen to pick out of my bag. I've been going more with choosing a weight and not length. If I've been teaching a lot of classes I start using a lighter stick towards the end of the night to prevent an injury.

13. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

It wasn't until recently when my training partner and I shared a private lesson that I realized how much difference the width of a stick makes. Andy refers to his sticks as "table legs" :D They really are massive. But after even doing some basic drills.....wow. What a big difference in feel. By the time the private was over, I was pretty anxious to put those things down.

14. Beungood

Beungood New Member

I prefer 30 or 31" sticks 1" in diameter but also use 28" sticks . I like thicker sticks for conditioning and they seem to cut down on blistering from the thinner sticks. I have one 31 1'2" that is slightly thicker at one end that kind of looks like fred Flintstone's club. Man that things weight balance is awesom, it flows good. M partner doesn't like it as it smashes even the hardest strikes out of the way!

We also use 29" Acetyl Rod (Delrin) for conditioning. The weight on them is good to tewach strike mechanics also. We have someone use them for a while then switch them over to Rattan and it seems to help them alot.

15. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've actully experimented with doing blocks and strikes with a 4 foot staff held with the same grip as my stick (i.e. the same amountof punyo) It's pretty good conditoning, but I wouldn't reccomend a full force follow through strike.

16. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

My sticks are about an inch thick, and are about 25/26" long. I've also played with sai, wakasashi and gladius and found the variations interesting.

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I always liked the sai, but I tended to flip them a lot for whipping-style impacts so they didn't have such a stick-like feel to me.

18. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

new stick...

I just got some new sticks: a pair of 36" red oak 1-1/8" diameter sticks, definately a longer and heavier stick. :) (Actually, I cut down a 60" red oak staff.)

We (W.O.R. students) use UHMW (a polyethelene based plastic) for our baston. I have a 60",1-1/4" diameter bankaw made of that material. I think I'm going to cut it down and play with it.

Yes, longer and heavier sticks are slower but the power is definately there (as long as the player does his or her part).

GM Estalilla performs his sinawali with 36" police riot batons - you should see his speed and delivery!

19. 408kali

408kali New Member

What do I prefer?

I like longer sticks simply to be able to strike you without you being able to strike me if possible. Close in, I like killing slashes to the arteries/throat (beheading? =) and Puno strikes! Gotta love them Puno strikes!!

On the other hand, give me a Serrada length stick (from armpit to center of palm, about 21" for me) and I am comfortable.