How long a stick do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by kabaroan, Jun 21, 2006.

1. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

I know there is a thread posted in Pekiti-Tirsia (with no replies) but I wanted to address this to practitioners of all the various FMA styles.

What length stick do you prefer?
    Do you train with different size/length sticks?

It seems to me that most FMA practioners prefer to use 28-30" sticks. Serrada players like the shorter 16-24" sticks. Largo mano players the 36" stick.

Personally, I like the 36" stick as it allows for greater reach and force. It also allows for better (for me) transitions from single hand to double hand grips (Sencillia to Bambolia) for medium to short range.

What about you?

Thank you in advance for sharing your insight to your art and educating me, if a little on your system. :)

2. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

Medium to close range I like 28".
    Largo I like 36" - 40".

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's me! I like 26"-28" the best. Longer than that starts to feel awkward and slow (unless it's big enough that I go two-handed), and shorter than that starts to feel too short to get the power I want. I have a definite preference! Of course, I work with different lengths/weights to insure that I am comfortable with a variety of types, but I know what I like.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

5. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

For serrada 24" for arnis 28" for kuntao arnis 24" for Kali 50"(bonkow) or the (sankil) for panantada type--I said type I dont do that art but 30" this is the type of art Pedoy did for Durobio!

6. Tarot

Tarot New Member

23"-24", which is the length of my arm from armpit to the middle of my hand. Anything longer than that feels awkward and unwieldy. Those are the lengths I use for every move or drill. I do have a pair of ironwood sticks that are longer, about 28", but I only use those for strenghting drills and nothing more. :)

7. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Length of Stick

27" for Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Estacada

33" for San Miguel Eskrima

50" for Ananangkil (Tapado)

Best,

Steve Lamade

8. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

My preference is 32" with a 7/8 diameter. It must be very weighted much like Bahi. For Dos Manos a 4 ft. staff works well for me, anything more I end up losing control. I am not one that practices centro baston.

9. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Cool, keep the replies, coming! :)

On another note, I see some comments about using 60" bankaw. We (Estalilla Kabaroan practitioners) have a form that starts the use of the bankaw and the sibat. I like a 54" sibat 1-1/8" diameter and about the same length for a sibat. Anyone else use compound weaponry?

10. The Boss

The Boss I am the Law! Supporting Member

Big and heavy!

11. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

As in "Speak softly and carry a big stick."? :)

12. The Boss

That's what I'm talking about!
    :whip:

13. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Boss what type of grade are your sticks & were do you get them?

I have gotten some from tirsa line & others--Do you have a good source?

14. The Boss

I get mine from Datu Hartman.

15. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Way cool thanks for the heads up! Ill have to try that.
    Tirsa sticks are getting a bit high priced!
    Thanks & keep the stickswinging!

16. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

I like mine hust a little longer than my forarm. I also like 4 foot walking sicks but o willtry to use any thing I can put my hands on

17. p.v.

p.v. man with stick

My stick is 70 cm(i dont now how " is this),this is my favorite length.On the street i use fold stick from metal,the lenght on this item is 40 cm and i can't use punio,but..no matter when i hit my opponent in head with "heavy metal" :).

18. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I use a 30 inch stick. When I'm in a guard position it sticks out roughly 2 inches above my head.

19. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

I'd go for one that is 28" - 30" long at 1" thick.

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I know serrada tends to use shorter sticks, but is there a reason why other than tradition?