How generic is the term 'Sinko Tiros/Senkotiros'?

Discussion in 'General' started by arnisador, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Here's an bit of random trivia...

If "Five Strikes" were translated literally to Spanish, the term would be "Cinco Ataques" (five attacks).

The word tirar means "to throw". While it is possible for the noun form, tiro, to mean a throw, the noun most commonly means a shot. And, just like English, the term is most often associated with serious or fatal injuries.

So, Cinco Tiros = Five Shots. Think about that the next time you're hitting the tire. ;)

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Finally, a FFMA (Filipino Firearms Martial Art)!

3. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

When Guro Mike Williams has talked about training in the Philippines, he often spoke about how rigorous and hard core the masters are with the basics. As he put it, "They can kill you with just a single #1".

Bang, you're dead. No firearm needed. ;)

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Actually GM Pallen made this point when he was teaching a seminar at my school. I'd have to dig out the video to see what he said exactly, but the gist of it was that the strikes were points of impact or "shots".

5. saint o'killers

saint o'killers New Member

that's cus you know the magic footwork Tim...we both know that cinco teros all care about one range, and that range is just being "close enough" so you can cut down your oponent quickly. :)

6. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

good to see you on here, mike. :)

tim

7. 5tirosCamarin

5tirosCamarin Katulong Guro

Our Grandmaster won't tell you that there's no fight in largo, but he will tell you that you don't have to fight at that range, because you can get away. He made an illustration just this weekend at a seminar G Brock hosted. He did a little freestyle twirling and as he did, he asked, "are you going to walk up to somebody doing this?" He teaches us to only fight if we're backed into a corner or if there's no other way to get away. We don't ignore largo, though. GM Pallen teaches us how to engage at that range in case we need to but we usually end up in medio or corto.

8. 5tirosCamarin

Hmm.. my wording might be ambiguous in my quotation of GM Pallen... I should have said it like this: "Are you going to walk up to somebody that's doing this?"

9. yosefalan

yosefalan New Member

...just trying to understand.

...really?? because in medio as I've seen it defined 1 or both of you are getting cut to bits!

10. 5tirosCamarin

Wow, I guess I wasn't paying attention.. this is a way more thorough, and better way of saying what I said... haha... and you said it first!

11. Zahidul Mustakim

Zahidul Mustakim New Member

Hi, Could you please name some other Arnis style that is based on Five angles of attack?