How do you tape, and care for, your sticks?

Discussion in 'General' started by Carol, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Before I left class on Sunday, I wrote my instructor a check. The check covered tuition, the cost of two seminars, and the cost of......my first pair of rattan sticks. Woo hoo! :D :D :D

So now that I have sticks of my own...

What are some of the ways that I can tape them? What kind of tape do you use?

And...

Is there anyting in particular that I should know about caring for them....other than keeping them in their bag when I'm traveling back and forth to school :D

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We used to candy-cane tape them immediately, but now I don't tape them until I need to do so because they've started to fray.

It's always best to lay them flat! To be honest, though, not doing so has never caused a problem for me. Some people like to fire-harden them.

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Carol,

I wait till they start to fray which always just depends on the stick. Then I tape them with black renfro hockey tape. I like to stay away from electrical tape as it gets too slick when you are working out. So for me the best tape has proven to be renfro hockey tape. Initially though they are a little abrasive on the hands but after one or two hours of working with them that abrasiveness is gone and you have a stick that you will be able to use for a long, long time.

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I usually don't tape them and buy new ones when they start to fray, but I have been known to use the good ol' McGyver method. Grandmaster Atillo uses tennis tape. I never thought of the hockey tape.

5. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

Duct Tape!

6. Tarot

Tarot New Member

I don't tape mine either until they start to fray. I use electrical tape. Red. :) Athletic tape, IMO, can get sticky quick and leave gunk on your stick and the stick of whomever you're working with.

I don't tape them a lot though. If I they get to the point where they need taped in more than two spots that's when I buy another pair.

Also, on the punyo end I have my initials and what set of sticks they are. I'm currently on my third pair, they read "AR 3". This is for two reasons, the first being so I can identify which sticks are mine. And also, when I look in my bag to pull out sticks it's easy to identify which ones I want by seeing their numbers.

:bow:

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I always initial the "bottom" end of my sticks for identification reasons.

8. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Do any of you tape up a "grip" to your sticks before you use them? Any concerns with splinters (in your skin) when using rattan?

9. Tarot

Tarot New Member

I don't tape down where I hold the stick. I want that part free so my hand doesn't slip or get gunky from tape.

As for splinters, unless the stick is starting to fray splinters will not be an issue. A frayed stick can be dangerous and cause injury to your training partner. I was working with someone once who had a really bad frayed stick. He was using the stick to do an arm bar on me which was not a comfortable feeling. I pointed out his stick and asked him to tape it up. However he did not. :whatever:

10. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I just got a Century product catalog and they now carry sticks with pre-wrapped grips. Looks like a leather wrapped and cord wrapped versions. They are $26 though. I personally would save my money.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Pre-wrapped! You rarely see that.

12. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes, do not waste your money on these. If you want good rattan sticks then get them in 6,8 or 9 foot lengths and cut them down. They will be thicker and more durable and last a little longer. Plus they will be cheaper! [​IMG]

13. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

I only bother with taping the frayed surface of the rattan. I like to keep the handle tape-free because I like the natural feel of handling the stick. The smooth surface of the rattan stick (handle end) also offers the challenge of maintaining strong grip while wearing hockey gloves during sparring.

14. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

I only tape where it needs it as well when they fray. I use duck tape like most, thought about the hockey tape, but I already have a HUGE roll of duck tape. I don't like to tape the handle because of the switching of hands, and like Daniel, I like the feel of the natural rattan. :)

15. ricthedic

ricthedic -== Banned ==-

Go to dicks sporting goods and bye tennis grip with holes for sweat,they work the best! switch tape to other end when stick splinters,they will be like new!