How do you spell?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich Parsons, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

I have seen on many different sites, and been correct numnerous times and had people get offended by the misspelling of a name.

I have seen the following:

Savaadra
    Savaadre
    Savedra
    Saveedra
    . . .

Can someone who has PI connections and might know a person with this name or even a family member, please educate me on the proper spelling, as I have seen it spelt so many ways on different sites.

Thank you for your time and effort.

2. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

I always thought it was spelled Savaadre, but pronounced "Saveedra." But, considering I can't spell for **** anyways, I never really concerned myyself with this. But, now I am curious. See if Manong Ted knows when you see him Tuesday, Rich, maybe?

Paul

3. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

Wow....the Saavadre family really did get wiped out in WWII.

I did a search here: http://www.pinoysearch.com/pinoy.asp

I found no Filipino by any of the spellings in Cebu. In Metro Manila I found 1 Filipino with the spelling "Savedra," which doesn't tell us much, as it is only 1 person and we don't know if it is the same lineage or not.

Wow again.... I am just shocked that according to the phone book, there isn't more people by that name. It is very sad to think about. It just goes to show how devistating WWII was for the islands. It appears that the family truly was wiped out.

Well good luck on finding more info here...

Paul

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

And yes, because I was geeky enough to do a search on this, it is time to go hit the heavy bag a few times for crying out loud...

5. bart

bart New Member

The name is Saavedra.

Saavedra is a fairly common Spanish name. I would say it's common on the same level as Parker or Brandon as a last name in the English speaking world. I have no idea of its meaning.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I'm with Bart on this. GM Cacoy Canete spells it Saavedra. He seems like a good source on this sort of question. So that's what I've always gone with.

Stuart

7. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

I'd have to say that is correct, and I'm mental. :rolf: Didn't I mention that I can't spell? I was thinking Saavedra when I spelled it differently above....whew. :)

8. loki09789

loki09789 -== Banned ==-

Is there any way of finding out about any surviving Saavedras other than an on line search engine.

I found this as a possiblity. http://www.census.gov.ph/data/civilreg/index.html

Seems like it might be more credible way of finding any proof of spelling or last known existing relatives of a person from the Phillipines than a web site based search tool run out of NYC. This is linked to phone directories and voluntary registration of personal or business ID. If a person doesn't have a phone, remains unlisted or doesn't choose to be included at all, they won't show.

Joe Ecclston (sp?) makes some good points about other political and/or socio/economic reasons as well: http://martialtalk.com/forum/printthread.php?t=13634&pp=100 Seems that WWII and the aftermath was a pretty rough time on families all around.
    Generally speaking, .gov,.edu,.org (or at least usually) sites/links are far more credible in hard research/investigation.

Would any current Doce Pares people know of any surviving Saavedras? It seems like the spelling problem has been narrowed down if not clarified.

UPDATE:

I did a search with the Saavedra spelling on PinoySearch and got 138 listings on the first hit. So I guess the name, at least in the spelling listed as common in Spanish (thanks bart), is still alive and well.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  9. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

I heard a rumor that one of the children who survived, have had kids as well and that one is being trained. The person who told me, said that those invovled wanted to train him some and then let the world know after he has been training.

If I contact my source in the up coming weeks, and ask their permission, I will maybe have them post more information.