how do you fire harden rattan

Discussion in 'General' started by adam t babb, Mar 28, 2009.

1. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

i am looking to make some rattan sticks and was wanting to fire harden them can anyone tell me how to do it

2. sjansen

sjansen New Member

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

There is also an excellent article on the subject on PG Blackgrave's blog...

4. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

do you have a link to his blog?

5. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Hm, seems to me that it has been removed, although it was perfectly functional yesterday...Still, Mike did that before, so maybe he will come up again with it sometime.

Sorry...

6. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

can fire harding also work on hardwood?

7. sjansen

sjansen New Member

No. Fire hardening brings the oil in the rattan to the surface. Their aren't enough oils in most hardwoods to make a difference. If anything, you will over dry the wood and make it more brittle. If you want an extremely hard wood for sticks, use ipe. It's not that expensive and is used in decking so it's not that hard to find. Otherwise, the kamagong is extremely hard, very beautiful, and well worth the money.

Talk to Simon at escrimakaliarnis.com and he can let you know all you want about kamagong. He also has the best rattan sticks I have ever used.

8. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Why not try some of the recipes here in FMAtalk? Datu Hartman and Kuya PGmicheal have great recipes (just search the forum). I have my own that i use cause i do it at home and i don't have allot of tools and the space to do it.
    Check some of my post when i fire harden some of my rattan.

9. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

just curios if could fire harden hardwood

10. Thanks for the great compliment Scott. I am glad your latest package reached you safe and sound too :)

11. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Tried it with my broken hardwood before and it did not really do much. It look ugly afterwards cause it was black on soot. I had to sand it very well after but i guess it made it more brittle cause the next day it cracked ( i do live and canada and at the time it was winter, hardwood is not good in cold climates.)

12. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Fire hardening...

1. soak rataan in warm water..add 1 pound se salt..let soak 1 hour...

2. remove and lay flat on patio (do not lean..may bend)...let dry 1 hour

3. with blow torch..petina ends of sticks....brown and harden the nodes...lightly petina (browning) the stick....burn a pattern if u wish...be careful not to blister skin

4. spray on polyurithane...let set until dried..then add one or two more coats at your discression....

you now have a nice bone breaker

13. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

thank you for the recipe

14. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Was it not 1 day?

15. Ryno

Ryno New Member

All of my best sticks weren't fire hardened. The skin, and consequently the stick seems to go a lot faster any time it's fire hardened. It just gets to brittle, and laquer just doesn't seem to do more than help a little.

Just saying...

16. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Sorry if I sound too hard, but I have tried all the woods for stickfighting. Ipe, purpleheart, oak, walnut, lignum vitae, and ash. All will splinter. You can try to bone them, put wood hardners on them, but all will splinter in the eyes of those who trust you. I have tried it all so far. Rattan is the way to go. Even Lignum Vitae, the hardest wood on earth, will splinter when made into a stick and struck hard. Rattan will not splinter, but will ulcerate. I have gotten sticks from I & I and from many other suppliers and have used them up in less that 3 months. The sticks I got from escrimakaliarnis have not done the same yet. I will let you know when they fail me. We did full contact sparring 2 weeks ago and most of the people used my sticks and they are still fully intact even though they were going against hard plastic body armor and Simon told me that they were the "seconds".

17. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

well there is somthing to be said for rattan it is a very good wood for wepons, in the SCA(heavy combat) we use it for our swords, maces,axes, pole arms, etc. the fact if it "breaks" it gets mushy or peels but wont splinter like hardwood and it lasts a long time and is resonbly priced.

18. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

mabyee i should try fire harding my SCA wepons

19. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

You can dry them as long as you wish...I have done some a full day and others an hour....the results were similar so I now say one hour..or up to the individual.....

20. sjansen

sjansen New Member

If you find anything that works please let me know.