Historical Ginunting/Binangon Discussion and Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by phd antics, Jun 5, 2017.

1. phd antics

phd antics New Member

Hi, I'm a new poster here, who is on the verge of studying multiple South East Asian martial arts and ethnic native swords from Thailand to Indonesia. And recently just now moving on to Philippine blades, now particularly on the famed 'Ginunting'. I started this thread because mere extensive tireless research is not sufficient enough to gain reliable information on the history of the Ginunting.

I already know that the Marine Ginunting is an evolved and modernized modification of the 'traditional' Ginunting. But what I would like to know is what such antique examples look like? And what is the orthodox boundaries of what defines a proper ginunting? Because researching all over the internet, I get results of different antique looking blades claimed to be a traditional 'ginunting' all of which don't really look like each other. Like these multiple different examples.

Antique 1900s 'Ginunting' from Ebay, if it is a ginunting that is.
    This one looks closest to the modern ginunting and ACTUALLY lives up to the 'scissor' name.
    http://www.ebay.ph/itm/262918084846?redirect=mobile
    [​IMG]

This guy on pinterest is wielding a supposed ginunting and looks nothing like the above example. It appears to be very long compared to a modern or traditional ginunting or a binangon for one.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/376965431283002716/
    [​IMG]
    Is a ginunting characterized by a blade that starts narrowly at the thilt and widens heavily at the tip?

This next example is claimed to be a Ginunting and looks like the first sample but quite different and is claimed to be a special ginunting on multiple forums and sources.
    [​IMG]

Someone on another forum claims this is also a ginunting

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5134
    [​IMG]

Many sources claim the sword on the far right is a ginunting

[​IMG]
    This one is not really a forward curving sword and looks only similar to the 2nd example.

What exactly defines a ginunting anyway? I'm personally confused but ignorant on the subject. Are they all mere respectable variations?

I also realize that the Binangon is the predecessor to the Ginunting, but what is the difference between a Traditional Ginunting and a Binangon exactly? Or are Binangons the actual traditional ginuntings?

My next honest curiosity is how fare does the actual development history of even the so called 'traditional' ginuntings and binangons trace? As far as I can tell, depending on multiple sources on so many forums and blogs, its history traces back only to 100 years. Is this true? How old do the antique ginuntings trace anyway?

2. geezer

geezer Member

I don't have an answer to your question, just another question and a guess. My question: Is there really just one particular traditional "ginunting" or is it a term, also used for scissors, that loosely defines a long knife, originally used as an agricultural tool as well as a weapon, that can have diverse forms. If so, your search has no one answer. It is like trying to define a Bowie knife. Of course, the image that typically comes to mind is large, broad-bladed,single-edged "hunting knife" with a prominent false-edge. But historically, there were so many different forms, even among the knives Bowie himself designed. The same is true of so many bladed weapons of many cultures. The seax, for example.

So my guess is that the more you research this, the more you will find that the current forward curving design attributed to the ginunting in FMA circles is just one of a variety of historical forms. In other words, the definitive answer you seek may not exist!

BTW is your interest strictly as a collector, or do you also practice FMA?