Hey-hey all!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Kezhound, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Kezhound

Kezhound KEZ

Hello! My name is Karen Howard, and I currently study Pekiti Tirsia in Rochester, NY! My instructor said this would be a great place to hook up with other FMA schools, as I will soon be moving to Buffalo and don't know of any schools there! Awww, maaaaaan. I'm all worried I won't have anywhere to practice! (so if anyone can recommend any schools, FMA or MMA or otherwise, as I study multiple styles, please let me know! I'll probably start a new post specifically about that later.)

Anyways! I will be a Biology Masters student this fall at Roswell Park in Buffalo, and am super excited to study totally geeky things like immunopathology.

When I'm not doing geeky things like, I'm doing even geekier things like making comics or watching Stargate reruns.

Hi, everyone!

2. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Hello Karen.Welcome to FMAtalk. What other styles do you study/practice?

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The owner of this site, Datu Tim Hartman, has a large FMA school in West Seneca, and one of his senior students is a pharmacist at Roswell Park! I just got back from a weekend arnis camp there. He can also direct you to other groups in the area.

4. Kezhound

Kezhound KEZ

Thanks for the welcome! I've studied Goshin Jutsu Karate (Non-traditional, so lots of grappling/boxing/MMA thrown in) for 8 years I think it is now, and I studied 7-Star Mantis Kung Fu for about 5 years before I had to stop. Been doing Pekiti Tirisa now for a little over a year I think. I believe there's a huge 7-Star school in San Antonio. Maybe you've heard of them?

5. Kezhound

Kezhound KEZ

Ah! Missed this post while I was posting. Awesome! My instructor mentioned Tim Hartman, but didn't know whereabouts in the Buffalo area he was! Whoo, thanks!

6. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

7 Star Praying Mantis is a very old style. There was once a school here called the Guardins of the Benelovent Temple a White Lotus group but they moved to the Austin area. I see no other real Kung Fu school or group operating publicly here. There are plenty of FMA teachers, lots of TKD and one Goju-Ryu, Kenpo, MMA and some others. Good luck withyour training. BTW, I do not see martial artist as being geeky, no matter what else they do are study.

7. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Welcome Karen! [​IMG]

8. Kezhound

Kezhound KEZ

Thank you for the welcome, Brian!

That Temple sounds veerrrry familiar. Admittedly, being in NY, my Texan geography is rather poor. Perhaps I was thinking of Austin. :D

9. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Hey Karen,

Do you study with Doug Marcaide or Jack Latorre; both are in the Rochester area?

Many, many years ago I went to school in Geneva, N.Y. I'm heading back through there in a couple of weeks as my wife is presenting at the APA conference in Toronto this year.

You may be interested to know that Tuhon William McGrath's summer camp is from Aug 22-25 in Fishkill, N.Y. If you have a year of PTK training it might be a great source of information and training for you.

EDIT: just re-read your post and see that your moving to Buffalo. Two thoughts: Tim Hartman would be a good choice if you're interested in changing FMA's; if you're still interested in Pekiti, however, my advice is simply to practice more on your own and then try to take in a class or two a month. An hour's commute or so wouldn't seem that bad if you had something really good to look forward to...

Best,

Steve

10. Kezhound

Kezhound KEZ

Yup, trained with Jack a couple times. Always a fun, memorable and occasionally painful experience. Doug Marcaide sounds very familiar, but I'm horrible with names, and unless someone has beat me on the head a few times, I probably don't remember them. Perhaps it is the beatings in the head that make me unable to remember names...we'll never know!

If I had the cash, I would SO be at this summer camp. I can think of few things I'd rather be doing. Unfortunately, priorities insist school purchases first. Rrarrgh. I will be so envious of everyone else that gets to go though. Maybe next year or something!

11. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Should be a great experience.

I understand the grad school no time/no money thing. Been there myself and my wife's currently in a Ph.D program.

Still - practicing what you've learned by yourself while going to an occasional class to learn more is a valuable way of approaching the martial arts.

In one of those weird synchronicities there's a fellow over on the MAP formum who might be from your area: see this post. If so travelling together (or with 3 or 4) to see Jack once a month and having partners with whom to train sounds like a good option.

Best of luck for your continued martial arts success.

Steve

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've had the chance to work with him twice--once at his place in Rochester and once in W. Seneca at Mr. Hartman's school where he gave a seminar. He's a great guy and influenced my thinking on reverse grip knife, which I was pretty down on before that.

13. Kezhound

Kezhound KEZ

The first time I met him, probably after doing Pekiti for only a month, it was hard not to notice all the weapons in his pockets. As we were working on a stick disarm drill, I asked him how many knives he had on him. Without missing a beat, he answered, "you don't need to know that." I laughed and quailed simultaneously. :D

It was then I decided I really wanted to continue Pekiti. heheheheh.

I, of course, am the one most responsible for my own training, but admittedly, the encouragement in the presence of others who are BETTER than me really helps. I'm a wee bit competitive, you see. I don't know what I'd ever do if I were the teacher in a class. If there's no one to best, it's no fun! I guess it's a good thing I'm far from being the best. BWAH HAH H--I mean, aw, shucks.

I will definitely be practicing, and I hope to come back to Rochester every week or so. This fellow in the post is welcome to come with me, but I'm too lazy to register over there to let anyone know. I'd only be coming back on weekends though. I'll have to see who's available in Ra-cha-cha to train, as I usually go to Pekiti M/W. So much still left to figure out. Mrrah.