Help a new guy out here ...

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by Tikirocker, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Tikirocker

Tikirocker New Member

Help me out guys ... I am trying pretty hard to get some answers about what the difference is between Doce Pares and Modern Arnis? I can't seem to figure out what signifies the core differences since everything I read points to the fact that both systems employ the same weapons generally.

Can somebody put me out of my misery and give me some kind of clear cut primer on what differentiates the two systems? I am asking because I want to choose one or the other for training but I can't choose without knowing the details.

Best.

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

In all honesty. It depends on personaly preference. I suggest trying classes at both places and then making the choice. Now if you had a Senkotiros school around you I'd suggest that, but so far we haven't made it there... yet!

3. Tikirocker

Tikirocker New Member

Brock,

Thanks mate, I was afraid somebody was going to say that ... "try before you buy" ... distance is tricky for me right now but I have a Modern Arnis school right in my neighborhood but just want to get info before I head out. It may be that one or the other is not what I'm after so I am just trying to save myself the trip ... it does seem very tricky getting solid answers about the differences in FMA systems ... I''m still hoping! ;)

4. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've trained in Modern Arnis and liked it. I've never trained in Doce Pares, but my instructor (Grandmaster Max Pallen of Senkotiros Arnis) has done both and was promoted to instructor level in both. He's not the type to waste time training in something that wasn't in some way beneficial, so either art is a good choice. Alot depends on what exactly you're looking to accomplish and the instructor you're training with.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

You should definitely check both schools out if you can! I practice Modern Arnis and have (briefly) studied Eskrido, a form of Doce Pares (though perhaps not the most representative version).

Modern Arnis is strongly stick-oriented (as opposed to blade, though sword and knife are covered too). It emphasizes self-defense, including empty hand, and has Japanese influences from Small-Circle Jujutsu and Shotokan Karate. It's relatively close-range, though all ranges are taught.

The term Doce Pares covers a number of variations of the art. It has much more of a blade emphasis and covers a wider variety of weapons. It is more traditional, though Eskrido is an exception (with strong Japanese influences). It spends more time at longer ranges (again, Eskrido is something of an exception). Empty hand is taught but not emphasized.

Again, "Doce Pares" covers a variety of systems and so it's hard to generalize! Check out both if you can.

6. Tikirocker

Tikirocker New Member

Thank you gents!

That has really helped put my head where it needs to be about all this. These are the distinct differences I was really wanting to hear about as they essentially make the system what it is.

Arnisador ... when you say Modern Arnis is more self defense am I to assume that Doce Pares is not about self defense but rather principles of offense instead?

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well...I mean practical self-defense for the U.S. as opposed to, say, sword-vs.-sword battles. Doce Pares covers the traditional martial weaponry in rather more detail; Modern Arnis has less of that and more of defending against a club attack with a makeshift club or empty-handed. Of course, a Doce Pares person might well disagree with me!

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

You might also search YouTube--there are plenty of clips of both arts out there!

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Some of the drills are different, some of the methods of teach may also be different, but that will all depend on the instructor and not nessisarily on the system. Yes DP goes more indepth to other weapons, but again that would also depend on the instructor and which branch of DP he/she comes from. But the principles are the same.

I dont think it really has anything to do with the system that is being taught, but rather it has to be your personal preferance that makes that system the best for you.

So yes the others are correct, try them both and chose the one you favour, or do what many do, do both anyway and enjoy the similarities and the differences they both have to offer. After all if you do both in the long run you will know twice as much more as someone who only does one or the other.

I am a firm beleiver in: Why Empty your cup to taste my tea, simply buy a bigger cup, and when the cup is overflowing buy a jug.:)

Best regards

Pat

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I agree with Pat. I've trained in Doce Pares (Cacoy) with the Patalinghug family for years. And I currently train with a Modern Arnis group under Guro Roman Picardo. And while there are lots of superficial differences in the use of terminology, the order of stick angles, and various drills used by one style and not another, the differences are only surface. I never consider that I've had to "learn" Modern Arnis to participate in this class. I just do what I learned in Doce Pares.

Really, I'd shelve the idea of style for the time being. And concentrate on what you can learn about the individual teachers. That will be much more instructive.

Stuart

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Tikirocker, did you ever make a choice?

12. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

an opinion I would prefer you explore first and if what makes the best of your interest then choose your choice.