Hello! My name is...

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Styric, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Styric

Styric New Member

Hello all,

My name is Richard Styrsky. I am a practitioner in Sacramento, CA. A buddy and I have created a training group (Armas Kasanayan Training Group) and practice FCS (Filipino Combat Systems), Dog Brothers Martial Arts, Kabaroan, Valencia-Lameco, Sayoc, Silat, and Shaolin Kempo. I hold instructorship in Shaolin Kempo and my buddy comes from a Doce Pares background.

I am happy to find this forum. Peace to all.

Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. There's lots of good FMA in Sacramento, from what I've heard.

Best,

Steve

3. Battle Born Arnis

Battle Born Arnis New Member

where in sacramento are you at? how many members in your group? do you train in public space (park) or is this located in a dojo. do you have to pay to be part of this group what is a training session like and how what is the duration of a meeting? how often do you meet?

i am part of a group as well, which i have called battle born arnis. in reno there are two of us, while tahoe area has 3 which makes a total of 5 members. reno meets once a week usually and tahoe meets once a week as well. a session is usually 2-3 hours long. we will focus on certain aspects,drills,etc as there is too much to cover.

at times we meet with non group members as well as friends and guests from other schools/styles of fma. it is basically additional training outside of class as well as learning from guests and friends when we have the chance.

4. Battle Born Arnis

i almost forgot the initial reason why i replied to your post and that is basically to find out as much about your group...perhaps i can be a guest of your group....i'd love to learn, have fun, and make some new friends.

pls pls pls, do not take this as a challenge, let me try you out, duel kind of stuff.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome!

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Welcome to FMATalk!

7. Raw_Prime

Raw_Prime New Member

As a fellow noob,WELCOME!
    :)

8. Styric

Styric New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Battle Born Arnis,

We would be happy to meet you and work out with you some time. We currently meet at East Portal Park in East Sacramento. We meet Mondays and Thursdays. Monday is our 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM, Thursdays 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM. My wife is from Tahoe and we are up there quite a bit. Next time I am coming up I will give you a heads up. If you have a Facebook account look me up. I will send you an invite to our group.

Regards,
    Richard Styrsky

9. Styric

Styric New Member

Our group is relatively small right new as we are a new group. There are 3 regulars and a couple of others. We do not have a cost associated with our group but you would be responsible for your own equipment. Any rank development in the systems we train in usually require a membership to that system. Our main focus at this time has been FCS (Filipino Combat Systems) curriculum 1 and Shaolin Kempo curriculum 1. We are also practising Valencia-Lameco, Kabaroan, and Dog Brothers methodologies.

Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky

10. Battle Born Arnis

very interesting....if you would pls give me a contact info...perhaps email so we can arrange something. i am not savy wid facebook sorry.

just an fyi our base styles are modern arnis and kombatan. really our instructor mixes it up with whatever else he knows. definitely alot of possibilities.

first challenge is scheduling. 2nd is what to focus on so that we don't waste time. that way we all walk out the better.

i'll talk with my group and we'll see where this goes.

11. Styric

Styric New Member

Sounds good. As far as focus, I would focus on the translation of movements from the various styles between empty hand, knife, and stick. We look for the common threads in the styles and work to blend them for efficiency and variety. An example of this would be using the Hubad as a foundation and working in entries form the other styles and staying aware of possibilities for follow up techniques should one fail or a better technique opportunity presents itself. One could start by just going empty hand and work the entries. Next, work hubad empty hand and incorporate a knife draw while in hubad. Next, work hubad with knife working vital cuts and following the line. I could keep going on and on with the possibilities. Learning entries with speed, confidence, and precision is a focus early on because without the entry you are left waiting for the attack.

You can contact me at rstyrsky@hotmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
    Richard Styrsky