Hello from Reno NV

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by London, Oct 4, 2010.

1. London

London New Member

thank you all for the wonderful forum. I'm brand new and just learning my way around.
    I'm a life-long martial artist of a variety of disciplines (martial arts gypsy I guess). As well as an avid sport shooter (action pistol, precision tactical rifle and CQB carbine).

When in Hawaii I was introduced to the fascinating world of FMA by the late Snookie Sanchez. I studied with Maestro Sanchez for only a couple of years but the experience left me profoundly changed in the way I look at weapon arts and martial arts in general. Finally after more than 15 years I had to opportunity to attend a Valencia LAMECO 2-day seminar and lets say I have a renewed vigor for studying the FMA's again. Sadly there is no school of FMA in the Reno NV area so my plan is to learn anything and everything I can on the subject and to form an unofficial FMA study group here so that I at least have some folks to practice with in my home town.

I found this forum when searching for more detailed information on LAMECO and found some great posts by Guro Dave Gould.

Looking forward to interacting with you all on the forums and in the gym.
    Many thanks,

London

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

http://www.bahalana.com/

http://www.csus.edu/org/fmac/

http://www.docepares.net/

Lots of great FMA in Sacramento which seems to be just a couple of hours away. And also there is a TON of great FMA in the Oakland-SF area. You may be able to drive down once a week or so and start a training group in your area. I am in a similar situation as you and that is the route I am going.

Good luck!

3. London

London New Member

outstanding! thank you Jwinch2

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

No problem. There are probably others as well but those are the first two groups I found with a quick search. I have been very impressed with what I have seen from the Doce Pares Multi-Style system as well as the Bahala-Na Multi Style system. I don't see how you would go wrong with either of them should you choose to go that route. Perhaps others will have information or guidance along those lines.

Its frustrating when you move to an area that does not offer the training you are looking for. Having recently gone through a similar phenomenon, I can sympathize completely with your situation.

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey London,

I am down in the Vegas area so if you make your way down here give me a shout and we can meet up!

6. Battle Born Arnis

Battle Born Arnis New Member

Hello London, there are no formal FMA school in Reno yet, however, Rick Manglinong of Presas Arnis teaches at Lake Tahoe. It is a short drive away and is worth it as he is a very skilled Arnis instructor who has been teaching for decades. This is a formal FMA school. Also, for the dedicated and consistent student who makes the effort to attend this class a training group is available meaning training outside of the class schedule in order to supplement the official instructions. This group is informal composed of Rick's students in good standing. Occassionally friends and relatives are invited. And FYI, there are talented and skilled eskrimadors in Reno, they are few and are relatively unknown.

7. Battle Born Arnis

Do not be discouraged London. I was in a similar predicament as you. Being from Reno myself, I could not find instructors. But in my case, the instructor found me. As I was servicing one of my customers, as I travel from store to store, an employee asked me if I wanted to learn Arnis.....I spent several years looking for a teacher and was about to go to Las Vegas or to the Bay Area to train, instead here was a Grandmaster level trainer asking me. Quite dumbfounded with the amazing luck I had, I joined the class ASAP. I am now Lakan Isa. Again, I am from Reno.

8. London

London New Member

thanks a ton! I will look them up right now. yes Tahoe is not far. fantastic.

9. Battle Born Arnis

Manglinong Martial Arts
    South Lake Tahoe Recreation Complex
    Recreation and Swim Pool Complex
    1180 Rufus Allen Blvd.
    South Lake Tahoe, California.

Tue 6:15pm-7:15pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Kahle Community Center
    236 Kingsbury Grade
    Stateline, NV 89449
    Phone: (775) 586-7271
    Fax: (775) 586-7273

Wed 7:30pm-8:30pm

10. London

London New Member

thanks again BattleBornArnis, would you happen to have contact info for the school itself? the rec centers don't seem to know much about the classes. what to bring etc.

11. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

12. London

London New Member

thank you Bob. I'm not able to find any phone numbers or emails for the school itself even from that website. (only for the rec center) if anyone should find such info please forward or PM me. thanks very much.

13. London

London New Member

ok, not to worry, I found Guro Manglinong's phone# on a link from the Modern Arnis website. thanks again everyone

14. Battle Born Arnis

we do wear uniforms although it is not mandatory. if you really love FMA, then at least bring a pair of rattan sticks so that you can practice on your own. kamagong or any other may be subject to not being able to be used in class. this is a step taken by Rick as to reduce the chance of injury. the rec center can direct you to the classes and you'll find someone there at the said time and you'll be guided from there. Rick is there at least an hour before class as he teaches TKD as well. On Wed, it is common for students to be there around 6pm warming up and practicing until class starts at 730. When class is over at 830, it is also common to find students practicing 15-30 minutes after class has ended. just walk in, ask around, you'll find someone, we're very friendly folks, but with sticks, lots of them, knives, and swords, well maybe not swords....we're supposed to leave em at home so that is where they are (usually). what is your contact info, a local student from tahoe will be more than happy to give you a call and guide you.

15. London

London New Member

thanks again BattleBorn, I just spoke with Guru Manglinong via phone and am looking forward to coming to the 6:15 class on Tuesday of next week. I'll pm you my contact info as well in case anything comes up you can think of. see you soon :)

16. Battle Born Arnis

FYI, there was an Arnis camp held a few weeks ago at Tahoe. It featured Rick Manglinong, Tim Hartman, John Malmo of Presas Arnis,Master Giron of Original Giron Eskrima. Robert Castro of Eskabo Daan was supposed to be there but was unable to make it due to health conditions. Aside from Rick's classes, he often holds seminars in Tahoe and Gardnerville. A student of his is instructor/co owner of Sierra Dojo in gardnerville and of course Rick is often invited there. He is often invited to other places as well like New York, etc. Another Arnis camp is in the planning stage sometime around Sep 2011 and this will probably be a multi day event that will be about 10 hours total time training and will feature many masters of different FMA systems. What I am trying to say is, visit the class, hangout, have fun, learn, train, and it can open doors to the FMA world that is more local to the Reno/Sparks/Carson area.