Hello from Chicago IL

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by WindyCityKali, Apr 20, 2010.

1. WindyCityKali

WindyCityKali New Member

Greetings. Thought I would stop by, as I'm new to FMA. I'm Adam, a Kali practitioner for 13 years. Very excited to be here.

Best to you all.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! You're lucky to be in a place where there are lots of martial arts events going on.

3. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello

Hello,
    Welcome, since you are in Chicago maybe you can swing by Midway Kodenkan we have a Kali-Eskrima program and an exciting tournament coming up in August this year......

Thanks,
    John

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

5. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

6. neo

neo New Member

Hi from Chicago

Hi,

I am new to FMA Talk and somewhat new to Chicago as well (been here almost a year). I have studied Pekiti Tirsia Kali for a couple of years and am looking to continue my training in the Chicago area - for those familiar with the area I live in Elmhurst and work downtown in the Loop. Any suggestions for training in PTK or similar art?

WindyCityKali: what area are you in?

Regards

7. billc

billc New Member

Hi, if you are interested in Kali, look up Midway Kodenkan in chicago near the airport. John Bednarski is the instructor and he teaches kali and silat. I live in a town almost next to Elmhurst and I train their two to three times a week. I do not know who you have trained with but from my background I can say that John is an excellent practitioner and instructor. He is also well known to the FMA community and brings in a lot of interesting instructors for seminars on both FMA and silat. Look him up if you enjoy the FMA because he really knows what he is doing. Thanks.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! I can speak positively of Mr. Bednarski, but you'll have many options there.

9. Majd

Majd New Member

Welcome at FMATalk, glad to have you aboard. Enjoy your stay because this is a great site and a great source of information.
    Just drop me a PM if I can help you with anything.

10. neo

neo New Member

Thank you

billc and arnisador:

Thanks for the info. on Midway Kodenkan. It seems like an awful commute for me (at least during the week) but will definitely keep it in mind as I continue my search.

regards

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I encourage you to contact Mr. Bednarski either way--he's a very nice guy who knows everyone around you and I'm sure he'll be willing to try to help you out!

12. tmand

tmand New Member

Neo,

The Elmhurst YMCA has a Modern Arnis class on Monday nights that you may be interested in. You can look it up on their website. The class is somewhat informal and instructor is dedicated.

13. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Most of the Modern Arnis guys in Chicago that I met are egotistical in their attitudes.. I attended a seminar where snide comments were made about my background in modern arnis training in the Philippines where we focused on the use of the blade more than that of the stick.. I was fortunate enough to train with instructors affiliated with both Remy and Ernesto while I was living there and enjoyed the training.. But this was after I had already trained in classical eskrima prior to indulging into the modern arnis at the time.. I had the opportunity to meet Dave Converse when I attended the tourney that John sponsors and that was an individual who I greatly respected.. John is a top notch instructor also, well versed in Dekiti Tirsia and penchak silat.. He and his group welcomed me into their training crew with open hands after we met at a seminar which focused on the various use of bladed instruments from the different martial cultures representive of the countries of which we trained in.. John and I had a blast working our sneaky tricks within the dts system and the balintawak system that I teach..

I highly recommend John and the Midway Kodenkan for training venues..