Hello from Calgary

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by batotoy, Feb 14, 2011.

1. batotoy

batotoy New Member

Hi everyone,I'm new on this forum and I want to introduce myself. My name is Arwin and I'm proud to say that I'm a Filipino. I'm originally from Laguna Philippines but now residing in Calgary Canada. I first started my FMA with Guro Sonny Padilla of Kali Ilustrisimo in Red Deer under the supervision of Master Norman Suanico.I was on the training for almost half a year in Kali then suddenly need to move to Calgary. After 5 years I decided to go back to FMA training and very lucky to found a my new instructor Punong Guro Dan Rutano of Rutano Estokada and Haribon Dumog. Being a Filipino it is nice to learn FMA and pass it to the next generation. Mabuhay ang FMA!!! :coolorang

arwin

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! I've heard of Estokada before but not that substyle.

3. Hi batotoy,

Welcome to the forum!

Kudos on getting back to Martial Arts after the interlude. Speaking from experience it is difficult after a lay-off but great when the spark is re-ignited.

May I ask though - how come you didn't start with FMA whilst you were in the Philippines?

BTW - Laguna is perhaps my most favorite place on Luzon. Mountains, waterfalls, hot springs and fresh air...perfect!

All the best with your training,

Simon.

4. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Hello Kabayan and fellow Canadian!

Kumusta and Welcome to FMAtalk! Taga saan kaba sa atin sa Pinas? Im in Edmonton,Alberta. I too train with Guro Sonny and Master Suniaco each month. I taking level 3 seminar this march 6. Hope to train with you someday.

Tell us how your training with Estokada is going when you can.

Ingat,

Phil

5. batotoy

batotoy New Member

Hi Simon,
    Thank you for your good comments about my province Laguna. You are absolutely right,Laguna is a very nice place,great sceneries,hot springs,fresh air,and everything! About FMA training..during my school days there was no FMA training/school closer in my place. When I worked in Manila on 2000-2003,the only place that I've known giving FMA training was the one in Quiapo(forgot the name) and because of being new there and they said that the place was dangerous especially for "probinsyano" like me so I decided not to go there.But rather i went to chinese martial arts in Cubao. For almost 1 and 1/2 years I was in training in Shaolin Hungfut Kung Fu and then I moved to Red Deer Canada in 2003.Then in winter of 2004-2005 I was trained by Sonny Padilla in Kali(my first FMA training) for almost 6 months. Then I moved to Calgary and started training with Chen Style Tai Chi in winter 2005-2006 for 6 months. I stopped for a while because of the jobs and other things. But now that I'm ok and it is really good thing that I've found FMA training here in Calgary.

6. batotoy

batotoy New Member

Hi Phil,I'm from Laguna,how about you?..yeah ini-invite nga ako ni Kuya Sonny sa Level 3 training but I'm still thinking about it,medyo matagal din ako napatigil sa training and aside from that when he trained me level 1 palang ako. Nagstart palang ako ng estokada last saturday..I will give you more infos about it later.

Ingat,
    Arwin

7. batotoy

batotoy New Member

8. Phil Mar Nadela

Thanks for the response Arwin,

I too grew up in laguna, at San pedro sa Pacita 2A subdebesion. Moved in Edmonton,Canada when i was 18. So far i've only taken 3 levels of Kali Illustrismo (level1,2,&5) and planing to do all this year, emailan mo lang ako kung pupunta ka para maka-practice tayo. Hope to train with Punong Guro Dan Ratano someday. Sabihan mo rin ako kung maganda ba ang training ninyo, on what i heard it is very impressive.

Salamat and good luck,

Phil

9. batotoy

batotoy New Member

10. Phil Mar Nadela

I never learned FMA back home unfortunately, learned it in Canada. My father (also a practitioner) never wanted me to become FMAist. To him FMA still involve how he trained a long time ago (full contact, challenges, etc.). Not that I blame him but he just wanted me to be safe. Finally convinced him a few years ago that it’s just what I like to do.
    I found an instructor 5 years ago in Edmonton, he is a member of Sikaran brotherhood of the Philippines and I am apprenticing under him. He moved to Calgary but I train with him every month. I am also training in Paclibar bicol arnis for a few years now and hopefully able to earn Guro status (black belt) next year.
    I started training with Guro Sony 2008 during summer camp which was a level 5. I don't think it matters if you miss certain levels as long as you know the basic principle, unless you’re a total beginner. I’ve been in Canada since 1998 (thirteen years).

Hope to you at a seminar someday.

Phil

11. batotoy

batotoy New Member

Hi Phil,
    Your instructor is Tom Sulit of Sikaran? I heard about him before and I know that he is in Calgary but dont know how to contact him.That is amazing that you will get your black belt or Guro status pretty soon..you should teach me then,hehehe..and you've been here in Canada that long? 13 years ? wow! I came 2003 so I'm just almost 8 years here.Sayang nga eh,dapat hindi ako nagstop mag training but anyway I'm back now... So see you brod.

Thanks,
    arwin

12. Phil Mar Nadela

Arwin, my instructor is not Sir Tom but one of his black belts. Hope to train with you someday brod.

13. batotoy

batotoy New Member

Phil,
    Oh ok..but I know Sir Tom is somewhere here in Calgary...Anyway I spoke with Master Norman of Kali last night for 15mins,I was sooo surprised na kilala nya pa ako..I met him at the church in Red Deer El Shaddai(catholic) when I was still there, but I did'nt get a chance to be his student.He actually mentioned about you, that you come there everytime they have a seminar.I really want to go on level 3 seminar though I'm just a beginner. Master Norman said it is ok because I know some basic,I mean really basic. so I really hope to see there brod and PLEASE teach me ok? i know you are a good teacher :)

14. SHORANDO_01

SHORANDO_01 New Member

hi guys

Hi Guys...
    Im just surfing when i stumble on your discussion, i will be having a arnis seminar workshop this coming May 14, 2011 Saturday in Airdrie, Alberta. if you guys are interested to attend, just give your mailing address and i will mail you the seminar info.

yours,

Punong Guro Datuk Tom Sulit, Bt., Drk.
    Founder-Sikaran Kali-Arnis De Mano System
    Chief Instructor- Sikaran Arnis Jiu-Jitsu Brotherhood of Cda.
    8th Deg. Black Belt Sikaran

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011