Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by punisher73, Apr 23, 2008.

1. punisher73

punisher73 Member

Just wanted to drop a quick line and say "hi" to everyone. I have no experience in the FMA, but just recently got certified as a PPCT Spontaneous Knife Defense instructor and it peaked my interest to look deeper into the FMA's.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! Is this like Mike Inay's Reactive Knife Defense and pressure points programs?

3. punisher73

punisher73 Member

I'm not sure. I am not familiar with any knife systems as to their specifics only general terms like "arnis" "silat" etc.

The PPCT SKD system's main focus is on the "spontaneous" part. You don't know the person has a knife and don't have the time to disengage to draw your firearm, or if you are corrections to create distance/escape. The also simplify the lines and how they are responded to. There are only 7 lines (line 5 is a low/high thrust, and then 5 unique lines). For example, line 1 goes NE to SW, the reverse motion of that (SW to NE) is not counted as a seperate line even though it is practiced and dealt with.

The old PPCT system was developed in part by Dan Inosanto. But, what they found is it was too complex for people and it wasn't being used. This system was heavily devloped by the Bureau of Prisons and they said that have had a good success rate with it and officers use it. Not that the old system was bad or didn't work, just like most things it required more practice and learning time than people were willing to put in to it.