"Helicopter Spin" real-life knife defense vid

Discussion in 'FMA Videos' started by eskrimakaliarnis.com, May 9, 2010.

1. Thought it was interesting to say the least:

[yt]xbdMw4UUwJA[/yt]

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hey, whatever works!

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Let's see... Still upright? Check. No bleeding? Check. Not incarcerated? Check.

Pretty good knife defense in my view! LOL

4. Yeah, I agree.

People on the vid were saying it was like an aikido movement. I have seen the concept of using the opponents other hand / arm to unbalance the attack but I haven't seen it applied like this before. The only thing I think it's questionable is that after he spins him around like an olympic discus thrower he comes back for more. Then he spins him around again LOL !!!

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Wow! Interesting and yes whatever works. However the man with the cellphone and later the knife made a huge tactical error early on in my opinion because as soon as the space was closed and before the head butt he should have done some thing. (Ie. disengage and get out of there or control the other guy) You just don't let someone get that close and into your space with hands on you and not do anything. Way to dangerous! (way) As to drawing the knife well no way was that warranted and he may of ended up in trouble for that we do not know. The gentleman who defended against the knife with the helicopter spin. Well, whatever works but I am not putting it into my training repetoire! (though if I need to maybe I will use it :) )

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

The guy with the knife was obviously an untrained idiot without even a basic level skill such as you might attain coming through the prison system or gangs. I agree with you...

7. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Absolutely!!!

8. punisher73

punisher73 Member

I know it's hard to tell from the video, but what was the context? It looked like the guy with the vest was a worker at a restaurant or vallet type employee, was this guy removed from the premises? It look like the guy with the knife was yelling and agitated from the start.

My guess, that defense works against untrained drunk people or with a red cape in a bull ring lol

Reminds me of a "fight" I got into when I was in Jr. High. The kid took a swing at me and I pulled the hood of his sweatshirt over his head and yanked him to the ground and then dragged him forward a few feet until he gave up. LOL I wouldn't dare teach that technique to someone, but it worked in that scenario.

9. Leopard

Leopard New Member

if it works use it. Now that was a different approach to a knife defense but I would guess that the man in the vest is untrained and did the first thing he could think of other than punch the other guy. Heck it worked the first time so lets do it again, maybe the attacker will get confused and fall down.
    Hey, whatever works. It may not have been fancy but it got the job done and no one was hurt or arrested on the spot