Have you guys seen this yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kailat, May 15, 2008.

1. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

2. shrapnel

shrapnel New Member

Good thing the criminal didn't have a knife.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Wow, what guts...and endurance!

4. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I can't believe how many people passed by and did nothing!

5. rshawtx

rshawtx New Member

Good for the cop, shame on the people. I could see the cop trying to get the perp in a lock with his legs.

6. pguinto

pguinto New Member

I believe it. Studies show that people usually do not help bc they believe someone else will help. However studies also show that once someone steps up, a flood of people also step up to the plate. Notice how four people came all at once.

It's easy to criticize when looking from the outside. Critics say what they would have done, however, they are speaking in hindsight. A laypersons' inability to immediately help is a well documented and known phenomenon in the psychological community. You never know what you would do until you are in that situation; most people become transfixed by a kind of shock at seeing violent events. Excluding, of course, those who have crisis training of some sort.

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

My goodness not one of those A-Holes stopped to help..gees with folks like that around the sheep are definitely safe!

8. Kailat

PGUINTO wrote: "You never know what you would do until you are in that situation; most people become transfixed by a kind of shock at seeing violent events. Excluding, of course, those who have crisis training of some sort."

Your absolutley correct. It really never amazes me at how so many civilians do not wish to get involved in such incidents due to easy lawsuites, etc...

They feel that the officers are trained and thats their job to put themselves in that position so therefore its up to him/her to handle their job. AFTER ALL thats them doing thier job, do u want people to help you do your job? THATS HOW PEOPLE THINK!!

But to make a turn look at this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT2hX72BS6A

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
  9. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Cory, that link is hyperlinked to a completely different location (not a youtube page), and this is what pops up:
    So an admin needs to fix the link or you goto jail. Are you dabbling in some kind of funny bitnit? LOL

10. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

You are right. I was never in that same situation before. But i hope if i do encounter someone in need of my help, i wont hesitate.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks for catching that. It read correctly but the hyperlink was to somewhere other tnan what the text indicated. I've edited it now.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

12. Beungood

Beungood New Member

That first clip was on the news in Boston,Mass last year. It was an MBTA Police Sergeant. Ive had to fight several times during arrests and no-one is willing to lend a hand in most cases.

13. Kailat

Arrests

Buengood;
    Good morning,

You bring up a pretty good topic here. I work in law enforcement as well. I work security for our local hospital, as well as am a reserve city officer. There has been many a times when making arrests and or trying to detain someone be it a patient, civilian, or criminal in the act of a situation that I have had to litterally come down to blows at times with these individuals. One thing I know as an officer, is I don't expect anyone to jump in and help me fight my fight, especially if im on duty and in the middle of a situation. I think for me its somewhat best if I try to either wait and "hope" my back up arrives and or try to handle the situation to the best of my ability. "KNOCK ON WOOD" i've been pretty fortunate i have been able to handle all my situations, and my back up has been really good about being there when needed..

However heres a good question to ask.
    1. Should we as police officers expect "civilians to help us in these cases?
    To me its a catch 22 in the instance I guess if the arrestee attempts to try to go for my firearm, or one of my other implemented tools.. ie, what if the civillian that comes to your aid gets caught up in a situation that becomes potentially lethal for them. I guess from a civilian standpoint you have to look at one of a few things.

Be the stand up outstanding citizen give you something to talk about to our friends and say how you helped the police from getting his butt whooped..

Or say hey its his job and thats what he wanted to do, so i'll leave it up tothe trained officer to fight his own battles..

Just curious as to what others think about this? Does your dept frown on these type of things.?

14. pguinto

pguinto New Member

well the other danger to the arresting officer is if a civilian gets involved, the civ could become a liability as now the officer now has to worry about that person's safety as well, which could lead to even more complications...

for example, if the perp pulls out a knife or a gun u might have to eat some steel or iron to preserve the life of the civilian

realistically, unless a number of people help, the best u could hope for is that the civilians who cant/wont help physically, can still be potential witnesses

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I always wonder when I hear about these things if it's better to help in such a case or whether it's best to let the LEO do his job and just call 911 to insure that he's been able to summon backup. I'd hate to make things worse.

16. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

It is good to think you would help if needed, but as has been pointed out, you could also become a liability. Also think on this, how many of you are willing to go out to Iraq or Afganistan to help those guys do their job too after all are they not too in a Policing role.

I can understand why so many stand back when an LEO is doing his job.

Just my thoughts

Best regards

Pat