Harris and KI

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by qk2lrn, Jun 5, 2008.

1. qk2lrn

qk2lrn New Member

just wondering if anyone has trained KI with Roy Harris in San Diego and what the quality of the training is like?

2. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I have not, but I understand he comes from Romy Macpagal's teachings...

3. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

hands on experience is the only way to assess an instructors knowledge and skill in any system or art. my suggestion is that you contact him and see if he will allow you to take a class for free.

another option for kali ilustrisimo in san diego is mang topher ricketts.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I have heard good things about Mr. Harris, but as John says the only way you will be sure is to cross hands with the gentleman. I have had on occasions teachings from indivduals who were world class but our personalities didn't match which made learning extremely difficult. It matters alot to get alone and understand the person also.

And ditto for master Topher...if your that close to him I would definitely pursue him as well. Best of luck...salamat

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've only ever trained JKD kickboxing with Mr. Harris, so I don't know how he is as far as Kali, but he is a very good instructor.

6. Twist

Twist Junior Member

I've heard only good about him...

7. qk2lrn

qk2lrn New Member

thanks everyone...i'll be heading down to SD for summer vacation and will definitely check out both teachers...cant wait to begin training...been wanting to learn KI for a while now.

8. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Try to train from as many KI instructors/teachers as you can. The branches from the same tree will continue to diminish since many of them are not willing to teach.

9. Deep Fat Friar

Deep Fat Friar New Member

Mang Romy and Mang Tony, yes. :)

I've been part of a small group of students taking KI classes for a few years with Mr. Harris, and also had lessons (private and otherwise) with Mang Romy. Mang Romy also made the sansibar blades we train with. I've really enjoyed learning from them.

By all means, come visit. You can give Mr. Harris a call, and/or the KI students meet on Monday nights. The classes vary: Sometimes it's just sword, sometimes it's sword&dagger work, sometimes it's just knife. Last few weeks have been saplit and warwok knife vs. empty hands fun.

I've also been to a few FFS (Ray Floro) seminars and really enjoyed those, too. Very different, but nonetheless very worthwhile. As John Malkovich said in Dangerous Liasons, "education is never a waste."

If you're curious, Roy (Mr. Harris) has information both at his website www.royharris.com and also he has an instructor forum at http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ where he's posted a fair amount about KI (also some in the JKD forum at the same site) and edged weapons in general.