Hari OSIAS C. BANAAG-10DRB#0001

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by SIKARANGLOBAL, Oct 24, 2005.

1. SIKARANGLOBAL

SIKARANGLOBAL Junior Member

Hello All Comrade in Martial Arts!

I'M Hari Osias C. Banaag a 10th Degree Redbelt#0001. President/Founder of
    Global Sikaran Federation and Owner/Proprietor of Sikaran-Arnis Academy
    Top Martial Arts now in North America. I was born where the Sikaran was Originated. Town of Baras province of Rizal, Philippines I got my promotion
    on last 1994 when the last of the Sikaran King FRANCISCO E. TORRES alyas Kumander Rumagit passed it to me his rank of being Hari he was 98 years old that time.

Sikaran is purely Filipino Martial Arts this is the game of the people in my
    town BARAS even right now. you will see on the rice field where all the kids
    playing grounds they are fighting even without referee thats ordinary sport.
    They did sparring without any body protectors.

Sikaran Major kicks is BIAKID or SICKLE KICK where the center of the force is at the back of the heel. theres a three charasteristic of Biakid and you will learn that if you joint the global sikaran Federation. Biakid or Sickle Kick according to the old practitioners of Sikaran they will not used only that word without history. KARATE is totally different to SIKARAN. If theres Karate in Japan, Kung Fu in China, Tae Kwon Do in Korea Sikaran is from the Philippines. The Forefathers of Baras, Rizal they are Originally introduced " Sikaran " BUT NOBODY CLAIM THAT THEY ARE THE FOUNDER!
    If somebody says that they are the Founder he is " IMPOSTOR " how you will prove that you are the founder if you Born 1900 Century? Base on the Original History of Sikaran. When the spaniard came to the Philippines Sikaran was existing already and the Original cloths of the Farmers in my Town is Red Pants and White long sleeve shirts.

But thank you very much to those Organizations, Garandmasters, Masters Instructors for helping me and our Town of Baras for promoting our Culture Sikaran. and thank also to www.fmatalk.com for stablishing your web-site.

for more information you can visit my web-site:www.globalsikaran.com

If you have question don't hesitate to contact me at: Office Phone (661)720-9175 fax No. (661) 720-9230 or E-mail me: sikarnis@sbcglobal.net

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

HARI OSIAS C. BANAAG-10DRB#0001
    President/Founder-GSF
    Owner/Proprietor-SAG-Phil.
    SAA-USA

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thank you for posting! I enjoyed looking at your web site as well.

I understand that there is also a kicking-oriented Filipino style named "Sipa" (meaning, if I understand correctly, "foot"). Is this just another name for Sikaran, or is it a different style?

3. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Welcome aboard. We are looking forward to your contributions to our forum!

:bow:

4. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

Welcome to the forum.
    I must say it was a pleasure talking to you on the phone the other day.
    I look forward to seeing more posts by you on the history of Sikaran and the history of the martial arts in the area you grew up in

5. AbanicO

AbanicO New Member

What is SIKARAN?

SIKARAN is a form of Philippine Martial Arts whose history dates back to the early 1500's before the Spaniards came, It is the art of foot-fighting where the farmers use their strong legs to drive the partners outside the designated line (pitak). Rice fields about 25 sq. ft.

Sikaran is just a pastime of the Baras Rizal farmers who gathered during the festival after a good harvest season. Doing it constantly made them develop skills that would eventually be marked by effectiveness such that other martial arts could hardly compare, or so claims its most ardent exponent. Of the practitioners, some went on to discover certain skills in combat that made them deserve the honor of being called "Hari"(champion). These are no longer around. As most of them have succumbed, their secrets interred with their remains and never imparted, having chosen to keep it to themselves and not to teach it to anyone else. Indeed, secrecy is essence of martial arts and this is true in any system.

The early Sikaranista (farmers) session commences with the drawing of a circle on the ground. The acknowledged talent of the lot, by reason of his superior skill is often obliged to concede a handicap, thus he positions himself inside the circle and trade kicking talents with one who stays at the circle's rim. The objective is for the combatant outside to dislodge the contestant within. The rules are really that simple. In the case of vein, he would agree to a number of opponents who form a circle. Should the man within be driven out of the circle, it signifies defeat and, correspondingly, humiliation. If the game's continuation be opted, another pretender takes the place of the dislodge practitioner and the same procedure is repeated.

Once in a while, and this seems unavoidable, a session witness a mischief-prone contestant who makes it a point to step on a carabao waste (buffalo) dung prior to a competition, if only to dirty and to defeat the opponent.

The Baras-originated method of foot-fighting in its original form No time limit is observed. Combatants call for time out if they became so exhausted as to be unable to go on some more or when troubled enough. No discrimination regarding sex. Both male and female may indulge in it, should they so wish.

They have a vernacular name for a Hari. He was awarded Ias Agila (for his impressive agility), acknowledged as the foremost padamba (jumping front kick) exponent. That he could leap as high as six feet is definitely a testimony to an awesome power.

So also was awarded classified as Hari, a fellow reputed to crack husked coconuts with his steel-like shins. On the other hand a Hari also boasts of the singular reputation of knocking out (T.K.O) a carabao with a single hammer biakid.

SIKARAN and Sipa are both Tagalog terms for "kick" but with a notable difference: the former is a noun, while the latter is a verb. Deriving from sikad, Sikaran like the biakid, pilatik and damba. And came to be known as an indigenous martial sport in the tradition of arnis, kali, dicho, buno etc.

Sikaran utilizes only the feet as a rule for sport and for combat, self-defense and this is what makes it distinct, the hands are never availed of in the sikaran. If they utilized at all, it's only for defense, the player uses his legs 90% of the time and his hands 10% only for blocking or parrying blows. Violation of this injunction, especially in tournaments, is ground for disqualification.

The rationale behind this has something to do with the role of the feet whose significance has yet to be fully appreciated. It is the largest part of the body, aside from the fact that it nurtures the largest bone as well as the most massive muscle.

Sikaran have its own share of kicking styles. The "Biakid" the classic kick is executed by pivoting to the back in a full or complete turn about manner. The degree of effectiveness subscribes to two classifications: "panghilo" (paralyzing blow) and "pamatay" or lethal kick. Obviously the first aimed at less vital parts of the physique, while the target of the second includes the heart, neck, head, groin, and spine, all highly vulnerable parts.

The entry of Sikaran in tournaments, particularly those of international caliber, presaged certain modifications, if innovations, of its original rules. Like the setting of a time limit, widening of the fighting area into twice the size required of the original arena.

Sikaran finds a no more vigorous exponent than the last descendant Col. Meliton C. Geronimo (ret. PAF) and ex-mayor of Baras Rizal. Who conducted a research and perfected on the art and to the extent of organizing clubs for the purpose of teaching the art to anybody, who would care to learn it, as well as to spread its popularity. His attachment to sikaran is understandable and was awarded as Martial arts masters' pioneer and legend hall of fame. Baras is the venue of his childhood and Cipriano Geronimo. Geronimo's father, past 100 years old and known as the "LAST KING or HARI of the past century", handed down the game to Meliton, To ensure that Sikaran would not fade into oblivion. The younger Geronimo founded the Kapatiran Sikaran Ng Pilipinas in 1958 now named as WORLD SIKARAN BROTHERHOOD OF THE PHILIPPINES.

6. nero

nero New Member

Why is this name doesnt ring any bell "Sikaran King FRANCISCO E. TORRES alyas Kumander Rumagit"?

Can someone explain please cause I love Sikaran and I dont want to just believe what other people say randomly.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

So little is known about Sikaran that, regrettably, I can't be surprised that a particular name doesn't ring a bell.

8. nero

nero New Member

Sorry, I dont understand what you are really trying to say here. Are you saying that "I" know little information about Sikaran and by that your not surprised that his name doesn't ring any bell to me? Is that right sir/mam?

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I mean that little has been written or posted about the art, so it's no surprise when the name of a Sikaran player is unfamiliar to someone. The names of most Sikaran players are not widely known, apart perhaps from the famous Master Geronimo.

10. nero

nero New Member

I mean, his not just an ordinary player. Just by looking at his title "Sikaran King FRANCISCO E. TORRES alyas Kumander Rumagit". Its just weird that only few of us know him. Just want a briefing about him from the people who acknowledged this guy as the Sikaran King. =)

11. The Game

The Game Pain

Many are unknown, even those with high rank.

12. nero

nero New Member

Martial Artist with high ranks are not "unknown". How can you justify an artist being a high ranked player if he/she doesn't exist (unknown).

Thank you,

13. The Game

The Game Pain

Definition: Unknown
    1. Not known; unfamiliar: a modern-day problem unknown in earlier times.
      1. Not identified or ascertained: received flowers from an unknown admirer.
      2. Not established or verified.
    2. Not well known or widely known: an unknown artist.
    This is how I justify it. Maybe your list of Officially Recognized Legitimate Martial Artists is more complete than mine. Which edition are you using? I have the 3.5 upgrade. Roll for inititive, save vs egg.

14. nero

nero New Member

3 options... so whatever meaning that suits you will be automatically the definition of "unknown" you used on your sentence. i see...

15. The Game

The Game Pain

I doubt it.
    What is your point?

16. nero

nero New Member

No comment.

17. The Game

The Game Pain

Aww. Well, hurry up and finish off that foot. I am dying to read your finite wisdom. It makes figuring out what your agenda is easier.

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Admin. Note.

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

19. nero

nero New Member

What is my agenda? Also, please speak basic English cause Im not well educated like some other people do. (Scratching my head Off) I dont fully understand what your poetic sentences means.

20. willcordero

willcordero New Member

I still remember the days when I joined Sikaran. My chief instructor's name is Mr. German Patingo, and now he is a 5th degree black belt. 12 years ago, his chief instructor in Manuela (it's called Starmall today) is Mr. Osias Banaag who was then a 5th degree black belt.

It was in the 1990's, Mr. Banaag started his little gym in Manuela, Mandaluyong City where he trained the security force of that mall. He rigidly trained them for competition and well propagate the old-time Filipino sport, Sikaran. He succeeded and his name was well-known within the ranks of Sikaranistas here in Philippines because of his students and his goal of modernizing Sikaran.

My instructor, Mr. Patingo, told me that Mr. Banaag was a strict instructor, and he knows Sikaran in and out. He instructed his students to start their own chapters. Among the Sikaran top ranks, Mr. Banaag had the most produced chapters in the National Capital Region. I respect him because I am one of his product.

But when I saw Mr. Banaag's website, I've seen the different side of him proclaiming himself king of Sikaran; however, 12 YEARS AGO I SAW HIM BOWING TO MASTER MELITON GERONIMO. I know that he was taught by Master Geronimo himself.

If you are in doubt, go to the Philippines, and discover the different martial arts here. It didn't started in the United States and in other countries. The Grandmasters are here. Their students who have learned the art migrated to the United States and founded their own "art". If you want to know about Sikaran, go to Baras, Rizal, Philippines, and talk to the old Sikaran players and to Master Geronimo. You will be enlightened. I saw his old pictures as a Karate player, but he told me that he didn't use much of his hands during competitions. He uses his feet instead that is why he was given a special award for his different style. His medals and trophies tell about the history and how the other grandmasters of karate saw the difference of Master Geronimo's style.

What he founded is the Kapatiran ng Sikaran, it means the brotherhood or the organization. Sikaran was there before he was born. He just organized and perfected the art so that the young people and adult will be impressed and encouraged to be trained in Sikaran.

Now, Master Geronimo is over 70 years old, and he is calling for unity among the Sikaranista around the globe. Support World Sikaran-Arnis Brotherhood of the Philippines.