Half goat, half lemon, all new.

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Goatlemon, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Goatlemon

Goatlemon New Member

Hello all. I'm (obviously) new here, as well as being new to FMA.

I originally started with Corral Arnis, but because of the price and distance I had to travel I was forced to leave after only about a month and a half.

However, what little I did I loved, as it made sense in a way no other martial art I'd tried had in the past. Naturally this left me rather upset, since I wasn't able to continue with an art I felt was right for me.

About a week ago though I came into contact with someone who teaches Balintawak in my area. I've only been to one lesson so far, but it had that same feeling of making sense to me.

So, er, hi.:)

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! Balintawak is great stuff.

3. Will

Will New Member

So, er, hi right back at you! :)

4. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Hello "Goatlemon"--

Your post perked my interest when I read you had studied Corral Arnis. When I was down in Sydney, I studied Corral Arnis with Perry Gamsby and Geoff Rudd, as well as the rest of the "Surrey Hill" boys, like Phil and Bunny...it was a really nice time training with my FMA brothers from other lands. With whom did you study with?

I remember training in an alley way adjacent to a brothel to whom the "Surrey Hill" boys provided some protection to. I believe the brothel even sponsored their trip to the Philippines to compete in the WEKAF championships that year (93 or 94?).

Anyway, welcome aboard, and I'd be interested in any information and experiences you have had concerning any of the Corral Arnis folks.

Regards,

Jack A. Latorre

5. Goatlemon

Goatlemon New Member

Well, like I said I only did it for a month and a half, and it was in Newcastle, which is about a one and a half hour drive north of Sydney, but I'll tell you what I can.

I trained under Wayne Chandler, who I believe was trained in the Sydney school you mentioned. It was while training there, even in that short amount of time, that I developed my love of the FMAs.

I will hopefully post some things that I've noticed in Balintawak as compared to Corral Arnis as I progress.

6. 408kali

408kali Member

Wow I bet those guys have some stories to tell haha :D

Anyway Goatlemon warm welcome and so glad to hear you found Balintawak, a dynamic system to say the least. Stick with it!

I've never heard of Corral Arnis, is there a website? I'm interested in all fma's...

Peace, ~John

7. Goatlemon

Goatlemon New Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I've never found one. I'd like to see a website though, especially one that outlines the systems history and curriculum.

8. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Welcome aboard, Goatlemon! :wavey:

9. Kelvin

Kelvin New Member

hello and welcome,

how who would have knew there are so many styles of FMA