Guro Lowell Pueblos

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by Guro Dave Gould, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Hi guys,

I wanted to introduce you all to someone who I feel is a very noteworthy Lameco Eskrima practitioner who was an absolute integral part of the "BackYard" group on Goodwin st. in East Los Angeles. Although he may keep silent and has maintained an extremely low profile over the years I feel that he is due recognition for his contributions to the success and propagation of Lameco Eskrima world wide.

Guro Lowell Pueblos to my mind represents the all around quintessential Lameco Eskrima practioner among us all. He was training with Punong Guro Sulite and the contributing Masters long before the inception of Lameco Eskrima in 1981. Furthermore Guro Lowell Pueblos has the distinction of being the only one among us first generation guys which made up the "BackYard" group that has trained indepth with all of the major influences of Lameco Eskrima. Something that many of us envy to be sure...

Guro Lowell Pueblos is the nephew of Tuhon Leo Tortal Gaje Jr. of Kali Pekiti-Tirsia which is from whom he got his base training in the Indigenous Pilipino Warrior Arts. In addition Guro Lowell Pueblos has trained with Manong Jose D. Caballero of De Campo Uno-Dos-Tres Orehenal, GM Abella & GM Cabahug of Modernos Largos, GM Helacrio Sulite Sr. of Sulite Rapelon, and GM Antonio "Tatang" Illustrisimo of Kalis Illustrisimo. So in essence he helped mix the mortar with which to lay the building blocks of Lameco Eskrima, he was present for the breaking ground ceremony of Lameco Eskrima and he has witnessed all phases of construction concerning Lameco Eskrima from the point of inception to point of completion during the untimely death of Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite in 1997.

Guro Lowell Pueblos trained faithfully under the tutelage of Punong Guro Sulite throughout the early years of Lameco Eskrima and trained in the Philippines consistently with Punong Guro Sulite in all aspects of this newly found discipline until Edgars departure from the Philippines to America in 1989. Back then Lameco Eskrima was primarily the act of "sparring" or "fighting" out the concepts, principles and techniques of the Lameco Eskrima that we recognize today. Guro Lowell Pueblos was here in the United States when PG Edgar Sulite came here in 1989 and he witnessed the complete evolution of Lameco Eskrima from beginning to end.

There are three generations of Lameco Eskrima; 1975 to 1981 (Pre-Lameco Eskrima years in Mindanao and Visayas) 1981-1989 (Early Lameco Eskrima years in Manila) and 1989-1997 (The evolution and maturity of Lameco Eskrima in Los Angeles). Guro Lowell Pueblos was present and played a critical part in all three eras of Lameco Eskrima, which is something that none of the rest of us can lay claim to.

If the name sounds somewhat familiar to those even remotely familiar with Lameco Eskrima, yes he is the brother of one of Lameco Eskrimas greatest proteges; Benjamin "Jun" Pueblos who has achieved great accomplishments in his own right for the propagaion of Lameco Eskrima around the world. Guro Lowell Pueblos stands head and shoulders above many in his skill and combative ability and can not be accused of living in anyones shadow. He has my deepest respect and appreciation for all that he has contributed and sacrificed allowing the rest of us to partake in and experience this great system first hand.

I always found Guro Lowell Pueblos to be friendly, accomodating and always more than willing to share his insights and first hand experience about a topic that he knows much about, moreso than any of the rest of us, that being the complete history of Lameco Eskrima and the many contributions and sacrifices made by Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite concerning his legacy made available to all who choose to seek it out the world over.

Go well guys, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Aaaah, finally!
    I was afraid you would not carry on with the series of short profile presentations of SOG members. Thank you again for doing this, as many of those people surely deserve to be pointed at, i.e. presented to the public, at least in short sketches.

You know, this brings an idea to mind (or maybe a fantasy?)... Would it be too far outstretched to imagine the people of Lameco backyard team putting together a book similar to the one by Rey Galand, but dedicated exclusively to PG Sulite and his style?

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It's great to have this info. here because not only is the sire searchable, it's indexed buy Google and relatively well-ranked. So, people looking for this information will be able to find it!

4. Makata

Makata New Member

This idea kicks ass. :)

Lester S.

5. Guro Dave Gould

Dragan,

No worries I plan to continue introducing our brothers of the "Backyard" for some time to come.

As for the book I actually suggested that very thing to Kuya Roger Agbulos right after we finished submitting our perspective chapters for Master Rey Galangs book entitled the "Masters of the Blade" in 2005. I have not heard anything else since...

I for one am receptive of the idea of a book and I will approach Master Rey Galang to see what he thinks of the possibility of taking on this endeaver as a future project. Personally I would like to include not just the "SOG" but start with the Manila group and follow the evolution from its inception, through its migration to its maturity ending with us, the "Backyard" group in Los Angeles.

This way the reader gets more of a sense of where the system came from in portraying its meager beginning from its infancy in Manila and follow its evolution into greatness before, during and after it migrated to America and the rest of the world. I think it is the least that we can do to pay tribute and homage to Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite for his sacrifice and well guided passion for the future of the Indigenous Pilipino Warrior Arts as a whole and Lameco Eskrima in specific..

Thanks for the comments guys, as always they are much appreciated. Train well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  6. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I'll se if I can somehow assist in stimulating Guro Roger to take this into consideration and get involved.

BTW, I want my copy signed by all contributors ;-))

7. still lurking

still lurking New Member

Just like his brother and my first FMA instructor Jun Pueblos.

I haven't had the honor of meeting him but I've heard a lot of good things about him. He was actually a champion in their younger years in a tournament in the visayas that both PG Sulite and Guro Jun was part of. He won it all.

Humility must run in the family.

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Hi all,
    I am not a LAMECO student or instructor but for the sake of circumstances but I am glad to say I am a freind of PG Jun Pueblos, fortunetly for me I discovered he lived in the UK a few years ago and he has become an integral part of the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors and a freind. He is to my mind one of the most humble gentlemen I have had the pleasure to call freind. I would one day love to meet his brother too.

When I say but for the sake of circumstances, I invited the great Edgar Sulite to host his first seminar in the UK back in 1997 and was very exicted that he would finaly come to us, unfortunetly a few weeks before he was due to land in the UK I got news of his untimely death as I was waiting in the line to board a plane in Alacante, Spain. What surprised me even more was that his freinds in Manila managed to track me down to the airport in Spain just a short time after his passing. So who knows what would have happened if he had not sadly passed away back then.

I always regreted the fact that he never got the chance to come to the UK and I never got the chance to meet him personally even though we where in communication.

When I found out that Jun Pueblos was working in Glasgow, Scotland a few years ago once again I got excited, I was surprised to hear he was not teaching but working as a health worker in the City where I was born I set about (with some help via Master Rey Galang on the phone once I passed him Jun's number) making sure people got to see him and from that point on I found a great freind who is humble and respectfull of all he meets, and to think he has probably met and trained with more of the great ledgends than any of us could ever dream, although you would not know it when you are in his company. And I was disgusted to hear that two people who owned a full time Academy in Glasgow who had claimed to teach LAMECO slammed the door in his face when he paid them a visit, they did not even know who he was??? They are not LAMECO guys by the way, just add it to their list of styles on their t-shirts.

He has a great family and his kids are fantastic, his oldest lad gets on like a house on fire with my youngest girl. My mission here in the UK is to get Jun Pueblos out of working in the health industry and get back to passing on his invaluable knowledge as I feel this is what he should be doing, especially after watching him perform at the FMA Festivals we have here every year. The man is a wealth of knowledge.

I personally feel that people such as the great Edgar Sulite and the Pueblos Brothers have not been given the full credit they deserve for their part in the spreading of the FMA around the world and the vast amount of knowledge they are willing to pass on to those willing to learn and anyone who helps to give them even just a small peice of credit, my hat goes off to you and I say, it is about time too.

Best regards

Pat

9. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Benjamin "Jun" Pueblos

Pat OMalley,

Hello sir, I hope that all is well with you and that you are keeping challenged by your daily training. Thank you for sharing your story with us!

For the record I would have to agree with you in that Guro Benjamin "Jun" Pueblos is probably Lameco Eskrimas greatest son concerning all of the students of Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite who were training in the pre Lameco Eskrima era (1975-1981) and the early Lameco Eskrima era (1981-1989). Further more Guro "Jun" Pueblos was one of the very few of that era who dedicated himself to PG Edgar Sulite and Lameco Eskrima exclusively.

Although Lameco Eskrima evolved and really came into its own during the modern era (1989-1997) in Los Angeles, If I were to recommend anyone of the pre and early eras of Lameco Eskrimas infancy it would be Guro "Jun" Pueblos. In my opinion no-one else of that era represents and has more of a firm grasp on what PG Edgar Sulite had envisioned and was trying to do with that vision more-so than Guro "Jun". You are quite fortunate to have access to him there in the UK Pat and I would hope that you will take full advantage of your accessibility to him.

I will be in Madrid, Spain working with my guys there and conducting a Lameco Eskrima seminar on February 14-15, 2009. If you can make it out Pat it would be great to meet you. As well this would give you a chance to experience Lameco Eskrima in its prime after it had migrated from the Philippines and fully matured, not to mention how Punong Guro Sulite last had knowledge of it before his passing. If you are interested let me know and I will get you into contact with my guys there.

As well while in Spain I will continue the "Lameco Eskrima; Essential knife" series with Budo International as we are scheduled to shoot two more DVD`s which should be edited and on the market by October 2009 or so. Again Pat thank you for sharing your story!

Go well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Hi Bro,
    I will have to check my calendar and finances, I would love to meet up with you and see how LAMECO developed, it always intreged me which is oneof the reasons I was arranging for the Great Edgar Sulite to visit the UK. Maybe one day you will visit the UK to?

With regards to your DVD's, do you have trde prices for them as I am sure my wife Lucy and her company would be very interested in them.

I have a mission to try to get Jun out in the public eye more and on the seminar schene as I feel he should be out there sharing his vast knowledge, he is truely an un-discovered treasure of the FMA here in the UK and 99% of the FMA population here have no idea who he is or what skills he posses.

Best regards

Pat

11. still lurking

still lurking New Member

something that the Late Edgar Sulite and his group have been known for.

12. chfroehlich

chfroehlich Junior Member

Are you talking about the guys who had LAMENCO on their shirts at the 2nd FMA Festival??

They actually didn't know that they misspelled it.

so funny

Greets

Christof