Guro Dave Gould's video?

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by gagimilo, Mar 30, 2007.

1. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Hello!
    Since there are not many vidos out there touching upon Lameco, wit hthe exeption of PG Sulite's old series for Unique, I noted that Guro Gould did a video for the Budo International company. Now, being that this particular company is now known for the most affordable prices out there, I was wondering if anyone could give me a glimpse into the ocntents of teh video, so that I would make a decision whether to shell out some of my proverbially hard earned cash for it.
    Thanx!

2. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

I would be more than happy to share with you what is on the DVD which I made for Budo International. First off let me say that I am making nothing on the DVD other than receiving a few free copies for my efforts which I gave to my Tribal Leaders and advanced students to show appreciation for all that they do.

My motivation was not money for this venture but rather it was to peak peoples interest into Lameco Eskrima once again. Since the passing of Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite very little has been done to continue spreading his legacy to the world on a grand scale. This is a shame as Edgar gave his life to his craft and everything else to his family, friends and devoted students. So for nothing major to happen in the 10 years since his passing is not only an insult to his memory but a travesty of missed opportunity for those who seek out his excellence of combative movement the world over.

Before going into greater detail about the DVD let me say that the "Essential Knife" series was made in Spain during my time there in 2006 for Budo International and most recently I was there again and made the second installment for this series (2007) entitled: "Enganyo; the High Art of Deception". Over the coming years through this DVD series I will take an aspiring student from the most basic fundamental foundation of Lameco Eskrima to the most advanced course of development enhanced by an aggressive mindset and realistic training environment.

In the first installment: "Essential Knife I" I begin with basic strikes and footwork. Then we move into "Palosutan" a free form drill designed to wean the student off of being told "how", "when" and "what" to react against by allowing him to develop true perception and reaction skills against actual threats made to his person in a constantly changing structure which allows the student to react to the unexpected element that only a real situation will bring forth, as opposed to what is "always expected" as found in most static drill form. Combat is dynamic and constantly changes from second to second in rithym with cause and effect, not precisely predictable as some would have you believe.

In combat we move and respond out of necessity, never by choice. We move because it is demanded of us as we know that the consequences for failure are very stearn and unforgiving. So in training as in fighting the pace is always fast, aggressive and hard revealing both strengths and weakness in an endless effort to actualize skill as we apply ourselves with positive effect when opportunity is briefly made available to us in combat. All the while being held accountable for any mistakes made in training, for anytime that your training partner perceives opportunity as you attack or counter attack he has the right to counter your actions soley to keep you aware of not only what is revealed to you but what is revealed to him as a direct course of your actions, or failure to act...

After training various variations of "palosutan" while utilizing numerous pieces of footwork we move on to tapping drills. Learning to pass the knife not just for the sake of passing it but to create time and space enough for you to deploy your own blade if you are so fortunate to carry one. Punong Guro Sulite demanded that we be able to deploy our carry blade quickly, if it takes more than one second to deploy, recover and counter we are too slow and are required to do it a thousand times under the pressure of someone attacking us until we can deploy with precise intent.

Anyone can deploy their knife from the pocket to the hand with relative ease with no pressure on, but place a pissed off piece of street trash weighing in at 240lbs chasing you down with the intent to lift your head from your shoulders and you may not be so sure handed. It is this situation that we prepare for but often times in training we neglect to develop to that state as we remove the very thing for which we are training for to begin with, that being aggression which is absolutely essential in our proper development and replace it with compromise and complacency, which we will not be found in any street thug with the intent to impose his will on you.

In the DVD as I feed my student I initially allow him to pass my knife and then based on opportunity I will unexpectedly counter attack with aggression as I impose my will on him and either he deploys his weapon in a timely manner as I continue to press my attack forward or he pays the highest consequences for his failure to act. This is one of the best training methods which I have seen which properly develops ones abilities to deploy based on necessity. And let me say that during this stage of development Punong Guro Sulite was just simply scary and unyielding in his effort to force you to respond with positive effect... Or pay the consequences for that failure.

After the passing and forced deployment exercises we move on to the realities of disarms and touch on a few options in this regard. Let me state that disarms will work against some people and they will not work against others. We have to be prepared to go up against both types of fighters. If we can disarm than we do so if opportunities are made available to do so, but if we are denied this option than we have to engage the situation with more force and end it with lethal or less than lethal force based on the level of escalation and actual threat faced. in Lameco Eskrima most disarms end with a piece of the limb following the knife to the ground, or if not at least burying your blade into your opponent at the time of disarm for effect or moderate distraction.

Throughout the DVD I touch on alot of issues which draw attention to the realities faced in combat and if heeded I give advice which will allow you to align your training environment with the actual environment where you would be expected to engage your skills in street one day if found to be so unfortunate. Unfortunate but prepared...

That pretty much covers the first installment, I hope that this helps you out. Always remember to always train as if it matters, because one day it may... Train well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould
    www.LamecoEskrima.org

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Wow!!!
    I must say, even though I have read pretty much everything that you wrote on Internet, I certainly did not expect an answer eleborate as this.
    I am very well surprised by the very ideo of taking a beginner student and teaching him,and then practically recording his progress trhough the series of videos. In my view it certainly beats the approach of being assisted by another high level parctitioner, because that way one rarely has the opportynity to see some more freequent mistakes and advice on how to work on correcting those.
    Personally, I feel very, very fortunate to have a great communication and cooperation with Guro Roger Agbulos. He is really going out of his way soetimes in order to help me be the best I can. It is great to see people like you two dedicating themselves to the spreading of the great art of the late PG Sulite.
    BTW, I didn't even think you were making any "fortune" from the videos I referred to. Just one more thing. I know most of their videos are "mute", i.e. made without any spoken comments, but rather with just written titles before every segement. I know the company wants to sell to bigger market that way, but personally I do not like that kind of approac. So, what way was yours video done?
    One more time, thanks for such a quick and detailed response.
    All the best!

4. Guro Dave Gould

The DVD was actually very well done with great audio and translated into 5 languages. I made the DVD in English but it is dubbed over in 4 other languages (Spanish, French, Italian and German), hence there are no need for sub-titles. At the beginning of the DVD the viewer has the option of selecting which language will be spoken while in play mode.

As a side note what I meant by my writing above was any aspiring student viewing the series will be taken from the most basic foundation of Lameco Eskrima to the the most advanced state of development over the duration of the DVD series. Not that I had taken a novice student and recorded his development. Actually my Tribal leader from Berlin, Germany and one of my Tribal Leaders from Madrid, Spain are assisting me with both DVD installments thus far.

I take the viewer through the material presented from an eyewitness vantage point of me teaching a private session with one of my private students. Not only do you learn the material to be presented but more importantly you are shown by example of how to present it to your own students and stress the more important details of development during your own training sessions.

Will you be able to attend the "Lameco Allstars Tribute" held here in Los Angeles next week-end? I hope that all of you will take advantage of this great opportunity. We as a group have been very patient since the passing of our Founder and Chief Instructor; Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite. 10 years is a long time not to pay proper respect and homage to such a great man, so I hope that we will be able to do other things in the not so distant future to get peoples focus back on the great Legacy of this great man and Lameco Eskrima... Go well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

5. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Oh, thanx for sharing these additional information and clearing the misunderstanding I had. anyway, DVDs seem like a well owrth investment, so I'll go try obtaining them.
    I must say I envy all those who will be able to attend the All Star event, cause I unfortunately will not. Still, I have palns of coming to USA this summer, and probably dropping by LA, get some training with Guor Agbulos... Who knows, maybe I'll be fortunate enough to meet some other Lameco elders (or maybe I should put it as "elders"? ;-)

6. Makata

Makata New Member

I ordered this training DVD from Europe, as it's not available here in the USA as of yet...I'm really looking forward to it's arrival!

All best,
    Lester S.

7. James

James Crescent City Eskrima

Any idea if the DVDs will be released in the US?

8. Guro Dave Gould

Hi guys,

I hope that all are well and that everyone is keeping challenged by their training. I was under the impression that the DVD was available in the Americas but after speaking to my guys in Mexico and other parts of Central and South America and viewing the Budo website (american version) I see that they are not offered here. At the moment it seems to be only offered to those in Europe. Which is strange because I made it in English and from that it was translated into 4 other languages.

Anyway for those going through the difficulty of acquiring the first installment of the "Essential Knife" series all the way from Europe it is worth your efforts as there is alot of great information waiting for you once received and played.

I will do one installment every year and there is expected to be a minimum of 10 installments in the "Essential Knife" series alone taking the viewer from the most basic foundation to the most advanced counter to counter capability one installment at a time. The next Installment will be available around October 2007 which gets more involved with the delivery system and enganyos. It will be entitled: "Enganyo; The High Art of Deception". I am really excited about this previously unreleased portion of the Lameco Eskrima Curriculum reaching the mainstream as when PG Sulite was alive this information was only available to those of us who trained with him privately or who were part of the S.O.G.

I will get in touch with Alfredo Tucci at Budo International and see what I can do about making this series available to all of us here in the Americas. go well guys, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould
    www.LamecoEskrima.org

9. David F

David F New Member

Hi Guro Gould,

Please let it be known when your dvds are available in the USA. Unfortunately Bodo International's dvds are not available here in Australia.

10. James

I just checked the Budo International US site, and Guro Gould's DVD is now listed as available.

11. Guro Dave Gould

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get the Lameco Eskrima "Esssential Knife" series released in the United States and other countries in the Americas. It will happen, however I can not say exactly when that will be. The second installment: "Enganyo; The High Art of Deception" should be available on DVD in October or early November.

For those purchasing copies from Europe be sure to ask for NTSC format other wise you will be sent the European PAL format which will not play in most DVD players found in the Americas (North-Central-South).

I will make the third installment of the Lameco Eskrima "Essential Knife" series when I return to Spain early 2008. I hope that by then everything will be available here in the U.S.

James are you from New Orleans? Great city! my Mother lived in Mississippi for some time and on occasions we would take the short drive down and spend a great deal of time in New Orleans , Lake Ponchartrain and Manchac Swamp area. I spent alot of time there in the 70`s and 80`s thats when the French Querter would really get crazy, especially around Fat Tuesday during "Mardi Gras".

Go well guys, and remember to train as if your life depends on it... because it does. Ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

12. Guro Dave Gould

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get the Lameco Eskrima "Essential Knife" series released in the United States and other countries in the Americas. It will happen, however I can not say exactly when that will be. The second installment: "Enganyo; The High Art of Deception" should be available on DVD in October or early November.

For those purchasing copies from Europe be sure to ask for NTSC format other wise you will be sent the European PAL format which will not play in most DVD players found in the Americas (North-Central-South).

I will make the third installment of the Lameco Eskrima "Essential Knife" series when I return to Spain early 2008. I hope that by then everything will be available here in the U.S.

James are you from New Orleans? Great city! my Mother lived in Mississippi for some time and on occasions we would take the short drive down and spend a great deal of time in New Orleans , Lake Ponchartrain and Manchac Swamp area. I spent alot of time there in the 70`s and 80`s thats when the French Querter would really get crazy, especially around Fat Tuesday during "Mardi Gras".

Go well guys, and remember to train as if your life depends on it... because it does. Ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

13. James

Guro,
    Yes, I'm living in New Orleans. I've lived here for 8 years, and really love it. As far as I know I'm the only person teaching Eskrima in the New Orleans area.

I look forward to seeing your new DVD. Like I said, it's availble on the US version of the Budo International site now, so anybody in the US can get it, no problem. Just waiting for the next paycheck...

thanks,
    James