Guns and Self-Defense--Too Much Confidence?

Discussion in 'General' started by arnisador, Apr 21, 2007.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Armed Miss America 1944 stops intruder

Here is a heart-warming story, yet...she should've called the police! She could have stayed in the house and called the cops rather than risking her life. Perhaps the gun makes people too brave...this wasn't self-defense, to my mind, and while it sounds as though she was justified in protecting her property, I wonder if she smart to do so?

Here's some more food for thought:

Child shot during father's gunfight with robbery suspect

Trial begins for teen accused in carjacking
    2 boys were in vehicle idling in driveway; father who gave chase was shot in buttocks

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...don't chase the bad guys! Call the cops and let a group of well-organized and well-armed LEOs handle it. If a gun helps you defend yourself, great; if it causes you to go beyond defending yourself and you or some innocent individual gets hurt, that's a net negative. The first story worked out fine; the latter two are cases where the crime victim would have been better off without the gun!

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Chasing bad guys

I agree with your points; however, the man's children were in the car that was being stolen...

How many parents would watch their children being kidnapped and call the police instead of giving chase?

Best,

Steve

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, that one isn't as good an example...I would've chased the car too.

4. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Unfortunately the Miss America 1944 story isn't on Yahoo anymore but a couple other links:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070420/NEWS01/704200369

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/04/20/brave.beauty.queen.ap/index.html

Note the "she flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911". I'm not convinced she had a working phone at the time of the incident...which would be a necessary prerequisite for someone calling the cops. :D

The middle story, I guess could maybe see as overconfidence but I'd prefer to use the word "irresponsibility". Sad story. Hopefully the child will make a full recovery.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A working phone is one of the best self-defense items ever made!

6. seobeglobal

seobeglobal New Member

yeah
    hope the child recovers very well