Greetings from Portland, Oregon

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by incircuitous, Mar 12, 2008.

1. incircuitous

incircuitous New Member

Hello All,

I apologize if I am showing poor form by posting my first post in this forum, but I did not see an "Introductions" forum.

I am a former student of Steven Slomkowski, who moved away to the Seattle area a couple years ago, and despite my involvement in another art, I am sorely missing training in Pekiti Tirsia. Steven is involved in running his media company, and is not currently teaching. I am wondering where the closest place to receive training would be (my web searches indicate Malestrom in Vancouver, B.C.)?

My next question: does anybody in the local Portland, OR area know some Pekiti and want to get together? Feel free to PM me.

[SIZE=-1]Salamat![/SIZE]

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! We do have a Meet & Greet forum for introductions but this is fine too.

3. blindside

blindside student

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know of any one in Portland, I asked Tuhon Gaje about this last year, and he said no one was teaching in either Portland or Seattle.

I've been running a small training group in Wyoming, and I'm moving to Kennewick, WA next week, and would like to start another group there. Way too far away for any sort of regular training for you, but I just thought I'd let you know that there will be someone else out there in the PNW. :D Our regional HQ is in Portland, if I go in for a meeting/training, I'll try to look you up.

Lamont

4. tellner

tellner New Member

If you're not completely married to Pekiti Tirsia there's plenty of other good FMA in the area. Watershed has to sets of teachers, one with NW Trackers, the other upstairs in the movement shop. Several of Guru Trigg's students teach around town at NWFA and other venues. There's plenty of others out there.

5. incircuitous

incircuitous New Member

Hey Todd,

Thanks for the tips, never heard of Watershed or NW Trackers. It was fairly obscure to figure them out even knowing the names!

I think by Watershed you mean this place:
    http://www.flowformpdx.com/main.html
    which is a barely functioning website, but if you click the calendar, it seems to indicate a Wed / Fri class but no contact info. I will check that out.

And NW Trackers does some cool stuff besides martial arts:
    http://www.trackersnw.com/html/pdx/fitness/pdx_shift.php
    but it looks like Kali is only a small part of what they do. Their video clip shows kids working on boxing footwork.

I am pretty 'married' to Pekiti, but if I saw a well-attended class that was 90% about FMA, I would certainly check it out.

The thing I'm hoping to avoid is the schools that teach a blend of arts including FMA, where the reality is that the stick-in-hand time is 5% and the knife-in-hand time is 0%. From what I could tell NWFA and a JKD school out in Raleigh Hills were that way.

6. incircuitous

incircuitous New Member

Years later, I'm following up my own thread, because this is still the number two hit in a google search for "Pekiti Tirsia Portland". We have a PTK study group that meets weekly. PM me for details.