Greetings from Miami, FL

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by menriquez, Apr 6, 2008.

1. menriquez

menriquez New Member

Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you all in great health and great spirits!

My name's Marc and I'm an American born Filipino. I have no formal training but am very enthusiastic about Eskrima as it is part of our martial heritage. I'm here seeking to become better educated about history and tradition, discipline/respect, philosophy, and techniques. Unfortunately, there aren't many resources around my physical area for me to learn from.

I am a certified instructor of the traditional Korean Soo Bahk Do™ system, from the Moo Duk Kwan® organization, and absolutely love the system. I'd just like to connect with more with my heritage too.

I look forward to all our future scholarly exchanges. Salamat at Mabuhay!

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! I'm sure someone would be able to help you find a local FMAer?

I don't know the Korean arts as well...is Soo Bahk Do a form of Tae Kwon Do?

3. menriquez

menriquez New Member

Hey! Thanks for the welcoming remarks!

Actually, our system (founded in 1945) is one of the predecessors to Taekwondo... Taekwondo was a government movement started in 1961 to turn the martial arts community into martial athletes.

Our founder didn't want to go along with this, feeling that the movement would devalue the type of respect that you gain with traditional training...

At our school we have a saying that people generally tend to agree with: "The difference between martial sports and martial arts is the same as the difference between sportsmanship and real respect: though you may smile or say kind words to another person, if ultimately your goal is to be better than someone else, it's not the same as real respect."

When our founder declined the government's invitation to be assimilated into the system, our members experienced pretty harsh political pressures. We used to be the largest organization in Korea... whereby from 1953 and onward, 75% of all martial artists registered with the Korean Ministry of Education claimed affiliation with our school and style. When Taekwondo rolled around, and those political pressures (higher taxation under the 'education tax' to support the new system unless you were a member, threat of loss of jobs if you were teaching in public schools since they wanted to promote the sport system, etc.) took affect, and people were forced to switch...

From 1961 to 1964 or 65, the membership declined from 75% to 10%...

We teach our students the history but tell them it's not their place to have negative feelings against the students of Taekwondo today... it's just history.

4. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

marc,

there are members of the garimot family in miami and nearby parts of south florida. gat puno baet is very knowledgeable about filipino history, tradition, and martial arts.

http://www.garimot.com/

tim