Greetings from MA, question

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by marjon, Aug 31, 2006.

1. marjon

marjon New Member

My sons and I had a Filipino instructor from Saudia City in the late 90s. He taught Tae Kwon Do and Arnis.

My son has expressed an interest and can anyone suggest any places in MA or NH?

Thanks,

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

3. Delta

Delta knowledge seeker

Howdy,

There is a Sayoc Kali Class twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday in Manchester, NH.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions

ArchonAsh@Yahoo.com

Nicholas Stevens

4. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

I would highly recommend Mr. Wes Tasker, if you are near Boston. Some information about him can be found at www.pekiti.com.

Regards,

Jack A. Latorre

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Guro Tasker is training in Silat under Mike Williams at Martial Arts Research Institute in Salem, Mass. I hope to sit in on their FMA class tomorrow morning and will be happy to post an update after class is over.

6. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Wes Tasker

For more on Wes Tasker:

www.freewebs.com/wahada

Hope you enjoy tomorrow morning's class.

Best,

Steve Lamade

7. Carol

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU so much for that link Mr. Lamade.

I see some familiar names in the instructor bio :)

I've been looking for Kenpo and FMA instructors that do NOT have weeknight classes (work conflicts). Thank you again for the information. I just may be giving Guro Tasker a call myself :)

8. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

you know you are always welcome at my place just let charlie or me know you plan on being in the area and at least one of us will open the school up.

days, nights, weekends it really dose not matter as long as you are in the area one of us will be there

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  9. Carol

Sheldon, your generosity really floors me. I'm looking for a "we're not worthy" smilie but FMAT doesn't seem to have one ;)

I will definitely be in touch with you soon. I think I will just have to learn more about this very cool art that you teach :) :)

10. Carol

I did promise a review of Martial Arts Research Institute in Salem, Mass, a school managed by Guros Michael and May Williams.

I LOVE the school!

Originally I had heard about the school from my friend and firearms instructor who had joined up earlier in the summer, and spoke very highly of his new training.

The day did not start out very well. I got lost trying to find the school...probably my fault for relying upon a 2" x 2" map on my blackberry to guide me there. I was feeling a bit stressed out from getting lost as well as the usual nerves of meeting new people.

I finally found their school. It was in a manufacturing building. I opened the side door to see institutional paint on the gray cement floor and white cinderblock walls....................and a couple sets of viney plants pointing me towards a staircase.

I followed the plants towards the staircase and and looked at the wall. On the wall were hand-drawn pictures of many different types of knives, all pointing like arrows trying to guide me towards the top of the stairs. I climbed the steps, opened the door and.....my jaw fell to the floor.

This was like no other MA school that I had ever seen. The light was dim and comfortable. The air was perfumed with Sandalwood incense. I was greeted warmly by Mr. and Mrs. Williams who promptly asked me to refer to them as Mike and May. My stress of being late vanished. They didn't seem at all concerned that I showed up a couple minutes before class, and they seemed genuinely happy that I was there.

The walls held an elaborate display Filipino and Indonesian of artisanship, including some very large knives. Traditional Asian music was being played. A display case showed off some antique knives that were painstakingly decorated. The wall housed a set of lockers, small benches for one to watch, and an assortment of martial arts magazines. There was room to watch...but all the seats were single-file along the wall...eliminating the "peanut gallery" feel that I loathe about American MA schools. The mat was long and oblong shaped, a nod to the room's previous life as someone's machine shop floor. Just as Andy had advised me, there were no uniforms and no belt ranks. The class was on the mat in athletic clothing.

Just as fascinating was a practice room was available with a mat, a Wing Chun dummy, a selection of sticks, a set of aluminum training blades, a stack of tires (just there to be hit with sticks and Au trainers) and an oversized Muay Thai heavy bag.

Class began, and I was given a pair of rattan sticks to use. It was...frustrating, but intersting. The instructors do a demonstration of something, then the class pairs up in twos to do what was demo'ed. After a few minutes, the instructor shows something else, and the class switches partners...all amidst the fresh sandalwood incense and the pentatonic Asian music. I worked with nearly everyone in the class for a set of a few minutes. No one at all seemed to mind working with the clumsy noob...and many folks seemed to be happy to hang out and chat with me a bit after class. Several folks said that they hoped that I would stay with the school. I pulled May aside and said how much I was touched by how everyone made me feel like family.

It's good to be "home". :)

11. Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan New Member

Glad you liked it. I got the same sense of "family" and that more than anything else is what sold me even before the first class began.

12. Carol

I owe you a ton of thanks for the referral. You sure knew what you were doing by sending me there. They really have something special. :)

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks for the review! A large display of Filipino knives/swords on the wall says 'home' to me.