Greetings from Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Hawke, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Hawke

Hawke New Member

Greetings and Salutations! I hopped over from MT to visit this site. I just started to train in Kali Silat over at a park in Los Angeles (South Central). I have some experience in Serrada Escrima from one of Angeles Cabales' students. The blend from sticks to knives to empty hands in the FMA is pretty sweet. I'm very fascinated with how the human body moves (dance, martial arts, sports). I love to dance (Ballroom, Hip Hop, Jazz). Dancing is a fun way to get to know your own body. Lately I have been dancing less (my dance partner went to law school) and training more. I also study most healing arts that I can get my hands on. The human body's ability to heal amazes me. There are so many techniques to relax the muscles and reduce pain and discomfort within seconds. Very cool stuff to learn. If I could travel around the world I would definitely want to learn and experience their martial art system, healing arts, and of course their food (especially their desserts...pats stomach).

2. 408kali

408kali Member

Welcome Hawke!

Reading your post I noticed that your interests include food and healing arts? :D

I have had the privilege to train very briefly in the Garimot system. The inheritor of that system is Gat Puno Abon Baet. Guro Abon (as he is warmly referred to by his students because of his humble nature) is a chef by trade, as well as an award-winning ice sculptor. His system, one of a few of what I consider to be complete systems, includes a healing art from the Philippines known as Hilot. Hilot is deep-tissue massage and bone-setting. The other aspect of Hilot is mid-wifery, which if I'm not mistaken is called Manghihilot. (Don't know if he learned that.) He also does acupuncture. He does seminars occasionally when time permits.

The web address, easily enough, is www.Garimot.com ..

Another Filipino martial art here in Cali which also includes Hilot in it's curriculum is Pambuan Arnis. You would have to enquire with the local Guro (San Francisco) to find out more, but for sure there are seminars and I know there are a few here that might know more than myself.
    http://pambuanarnis.com/
    Pambuan Arnis is another rare system that looks to me to be very well-rounded, quite comparable to the Garimot system from its' derived geographical location in the P.I. as well as its' curriculum.

Again, warm welcome.

~John

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome!

4. Hawke

Hawke New Member

Thanks for the welcome. The Grimot link was a blank for me. The Pambuanarnis link worked. Thanks for the info John. I'm still playing with my sticks. Never thought to use them to practice footwork. Cheers.

5. tswolfman

tswolfman Member

Welcome

6. 408kali

408kali Member

The web addy is www.garimot.com. The site should be up - manually type it into your web browser - good site.

There was a thread here about the group you're training with - sounds cool.

I was turned onto Silat due to my interest in the FMA's. I really like some of the close infighting blade priciples of Silat.

Peace,

~John

7. Pugita

Pugita New Member

Greetings from LA

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am one of Gat Puno Baet's long time students in Los Angeles. I am just trying to connect with others in the community.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's great! We're glad to have you here!

9. Pugita

Pugita New Member

Thank you Arnisador!

10. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Welcome! :wavey: