Greetings from Columbus, OH!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by railroader, Aug 5, 2007.

1. railroader

railroader New Member

Greetings family.42 year young martial artist,Air Force vet,9 year Deputy Sheriff who left the law enforcement family for the railroad family.At present an engineer with Norfolk Southern Columbus ,Ohio.New to the FMA.At present does anyone know of instructors in the Columbus Ohio area?Interested in escrima and the history of the FMA.Where do I start if I train solo?Books? DVD?.....Please give advice...My martial arts background is in ITF and WTF Taekwondo(2nd Dan)

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! I know Dan McConnell of Modern Arnis of Ohio is in the Columbus suburb of Hilliard. If he's not close to you, he may know someone who is. We have other members from the Columbus area too! You might find that a JKD school also gives you some of what you're looking for, as they often teach a fair amount of FMA (depending on the lineage).

P.S. I separated this off from the other thread to give it more attention!

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

3. tswolfman

tswolfman Member

Welcome to FMAtalk Im orginally from columbus. Now i live in Mt. Gilead ohio. good luck at finding a good instructor near you

4. Tarot

Tarot New Member

Welcome Railroader! :wavey:

I study under Dan McConnell, so if you have any questions feel free to ask away!

The school's website

Stop by for a visit and smack some sticks around. :D

5. railroader

railroader New Member

Thanks family for the warm invite.What books and or dvd's or "Must Reads",for a novice,like myself concerning FMA(eskrima),would be useful?My career keeps me on the move so solo training is my path.How did the Masters train before structured classes existed?

6. Tarot

Tarot New Member

Then why did you ask if there are instructors in the area if you just plan on studying alone?

Books and DVDs could get recommended but only to help supplement the art. FMA isn't something, in my opinion, one can learn on their own. An instructor is needed to make sure you start off on the right foot and no bad habits are developed. Also, it's an art where you really need to be able to practice with another person. You need to be able to feel what it's like to move around, get off the line, and most importantly what it's it like to hit something with your stick.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Doesn't Mr. McConnell hold frequent seminars there? That'd be helpful!

8. Tarot

Tarot New Member

Yup! And we have one this weekend. :D

9. railroader

railroader New Member

Thanks family.I know first hand that nothing comes close to qualified instruction.Seeing as how my career keeps me on the move,I thought it wise to have other avenues just in case.

10. 408kali

408kali Member

Welcome railroader!

Imho books are great for historical purposes and whatnot, but what I would do if I were you is just be patient, keep vigilantly searching, and you will find a quality instructor. Sometimes, instructors will teach out of their backyards, or at the local Filipino Community Center. You may be interested in FMA's, and it'd be very cool to find instruction in a system that fits you right off the bat, but it may take some looking around. Don't be discouraged! Try posting here, fmaforum.org, craigslist.org, tribe.net, and maybe even myspace.

Look around and get a feel for which system suits your wants and needs. Don't commit right away. For instance:
    Some systems are primarily focused on stickfighting- that may be to your liking.
    Or, you may prefer a blade-based system. Some systems prefer not to compete in tourneys, some give you the option, and some prefer that you do. Some are purely Filipino, some contain elements of Japanese MA's, etc. These are all seemingly small dilemmas that may become an issue for you later on.

Personally, I prefer systems that are as comfortable with a stick as they are with a blade, and also train for standing/ground empty-hand fighting. I also prefer purely Malay arts. But that's my thing. I admire different systems for the good things they bring to the table, the more good the better.

Hope this helps! Happy hunting!

~John

11. JunFanFighter

JunFanFighter New Member

Greetings and welcome Railroader, for DVDs (or videos) I recommend anything by Dan Inosanto, Prof. Remy Presas and Guro Mike Casto. They offer great insight and while they cannot replace having a qualified instructor they do help tremendously when one isnt around.